Turn on thread page Beta

Is it morally wrong to eat meat? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have been a vegetarian for many years, as my parents decided to be vegetarians before I was born. Obviously all my meals at home were veggie, so I became accustomed to the diet. As soon as I started going to friends' houses, I started to taste meat, being curious little me. My discovery was a big "meh". I lived without it that long, and it was nothing special. Why start eating meat when I am perfectly happy and healthy being a veggie? And so it remained.

Recently however, I started to think about the moral debate of whether it is right or wrong to eat animals. And you know what, I couldn't find one convincing argument in favour of it being morally right. In my opinion, there is no moral justification for eating meat in a world (well at least in the civilised world) which no longer requires us to kill and eat animals to live.

Discuss.

(Original post by cheesecakebobby)
    Recently however, I started to think about the moral debate of whether it is right or wrong to eat animals. And you know what, I couldn't find one convincing argument in favour of it being morally right. In my opinion, there is no moral justification for eating meat in a world (well at least in the civilised world) which no longer requires us to kill and eat animals to live.
    Discuss.
    Seems like it's morally right for Eskimo's to eat meat, since the garden variety veggies aren't readily available at the supermarkets above the Arctic circle.
    I imagine the Sherpa's in the Himalayan mountain must forage for meat during the winter months.

These seem like fairly convincing arguments for eating meat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Douglas)
    Seems like it's morally right for Eskimo's to eat meat, since the garden variety veggies aren't readily available at the supermarkets above the Arctic circle.
    I imagine the Sherpa's in the Himalayan mountain must forage for meat during the winter months.

These seem like fairly convincing arguments for eating meat.
    Perhaps I wasn't clear, thats not really the issue, the real issue is whether or not it is moral for us, in a developed civilised society to eat meat when it is not necessary for our survival.

ReputationRep:
    No, it probably isn't moral. There are millions of animals being kept in captivity to be killed and eaten, that's their only reason to live. If everyone became a vegetarian we would have enough food to feed everyone.

On the other hand, I like meat A LOT, and wonder (not being a particularly great nutrition expert!) where I would get protein from. Cottage cheese anyone?

ReputationRep:
    im a veggie as a result of religion and personal beliefs....

AND can i make it clear that if ure vegeterian it does not mean YOU Lack nutrition...........if anything eating meat/being non veggie can cause agression (this has been pointed out by mahatma gandhi), and it keeps the fats low and cholesterol levels low....and technically keeps you fit and ensure you are health.

Protein can be found in beans, nuts, loadsa green veggies, and also MILK!..

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps I wasn't clear, thats not really the issue, the real issue is whether or not it is moral for us, in a developed civilised society to eat meat when it is not necessary for our survival.
    dont think vegetables are necessary anymore either

ReputationRep:
    Of course not. If God didn't mean for us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of meat in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    Howard
    humans are made out of meat!!!
    does that mean we shud all become cannibals!
    that is sick dude!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Of course not. If God didn't mean for us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of meat in the first place.
    :dito:

It's all natural.

Best reason: http://maddox.xmission.com/grill.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kuddly!)
    Howard
    humans are made out of meat!!!
    does that mean we shud all become cannibals!
    that is sick dude!
    Good point.

ReputationRep:
    Let me ask you this, do you have any possessions that are made of leather or any animal derivatives?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Lmao :rolleyes:

I don't see it as a moral question at all, whether we should eat meat or not. However, I do believe we shouldn't do nasty things to the animals first, like breeding them in 6inch-sq boxes in order to eat them.

One thing that people seem to miss:
    Animals eat each other!! People are animals too. Ergo, we are perfectly within our "rights" to eat other animals - in fact, it's not even about rights and morals. It's natural.

ZarathustraX

ReputationRep:
    im a veggie as a result of religion and personal beliefs....

AND can i make it clear that if ure vegeterian it does not mean YOU Lack nutrition...........if anything eating meat/being non veggie can cause agression (this has been pointed out by mahatma gandhi), and it keeps the fats low and cholesterol levels low....and technically keeps you fit and ensure you are health.

Protein can be found in beans, nuts, loadsa green veggies, and also MILK!..
    its not the same type of protien

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zarathustra)
    Lmao :rolleyes:

I don't see it as a moral question at all, whether we should eat meat or not. However, I do believe we shouldn't do nasty things to the animals first, like breeding them in 6inch-sq boxes in order to eat them.

One thing that people seem to miss:
    Animals eat each other. We are animals too. Ergo, we are perfectly within our "rights" to eat other animals - it's not even about rights and morals. It's natural.

ZarathustraX
    as you said we are animals! would you eat another human?...
    animals have souls and feelings too, just like us!!

but the reason animals eat each other is because they are not complex beings and do not understand issues like morals and rights? but we do understand morals and rights thats why we dont go eating each other!!

doya understand where im coming from?

ReputationRep:

but the reason animals eat each other is because they are not complex beings and do not understand issues like morals and rights? but we do understand morals and rights thats why we dont go eating each other!!

Yes, I understand where you're coming from. Though I necessarily agree with all of your points...

Hmm...no, I would not eat another human. But then again, to continue my previous natural-world analogy, it is not exactly common for other animals to eat members of their own species, really. Well, not on a daily "hmm what's for tea tonight?" basis - only perhaps if a member of their species had died in some other way (natural causes / attack from other species), and they were starving in the middle of winter or something. Before you ask, I would not think it morally condemnable for a human to eat another human, if they were already dead and there was no other option but to starve.

You say that animals are uncomplex to the extent that they do not understand morals or rights - if this is the case, does it make sense for us to speak of them as if they have rights?

ZarathustraX

ReputationRep:
    They dont understand morals and rights! BUt we do?? so if we have the upper hand we shud use it wisely not abuse it!
    for example, with baby's and children, they do not understand rights, but yet we still give them certian rights.....dont we? a right to grow up as a child, the right to eat, the right for shelter and most importantly THE RIGHT TO LIVE.

ReputationRep:

You may believe animals have souls because you believe in reincarnation, but as for other religions, they do not beliebe animals have souls and athiests, they do not believe anyone have souls.

As these animals do not have souls, killing them will not be like killing a human, which has an eternal portion, whereas animals do not.

ReputationRep:
    They dont understand morals and rights! BUt we do?? so if we have the upper hand we shud use it wisely not abuse it!
    for example, with baby's and children, they do not understand rights, but yet we still give them certian rights.....dont we? a right to grow up as a child, the right to eat, the right for shelter and most importantly THE RIGHT TO LIVE.
    We know that babies and and children are rational beings who will grow up to understand rights - by your own admission, animals never will.

Also, does the mere fact that we understand rights mean that we must act as if all other things have them.
    To paraphrase you slightly: "Tables and chairs don't understand morals and rights! BUt we do?? so if we have the upper hand we shud use it wisely not abuse it!" Now, I have an old skanky desk in my room that I was to take to the tip. It will almost certainly be destroyed - does that table have a right to continued existence? To be treated fairly by me? Life would be increasingly difficult to navigate if this was the case.

Now, clearly that was a ridiculous thing to write, but I would like to make a point regarding animals (and tables, if you like) that, to my mind, conveys their lack of rights:
    Think of the basic rights that you feel you have, as a person. Such as "freedom", in the sense of being able to come and go as you please. The problem with rights is that they are inexctricably bound up with duties - if you do not do your "duty" in obeying the law, then you lose your "right" to freedom, by being put in jail. You can't have rights without duties, because duties are what ensure we don't trample on other people's rights. A lack of duty will soon lead a person to a lack of rights.
    Now, tell me, what duties do animals have?
    And if the answer is "none", then on what other basis should we award them rights (given that we've established that they don't understand them, and never will, and do nothing to respect "our rights" - we'd find it absurd if they did!)

ZarathustraX

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zarathustra)
    We know that babies and and children are rational beings who will grow up to understand rights - by your own admission, animals never will.

Also, does the mere fact that we understand rights mean that we must act as if all other things have them.
    To paraphrase you slightly: "Tables and chairs don't understand morals and rights! BUt we do?? so if we have the upper hand we shud use it wisely not abuse it!" Now, I have an old skanky desk in my room that I was to take to the tip. It will almost certainly be destroyed - does that table have a right to continued existence? To be treated fairly by me? Life would be increasingly difficult to navigate if this was the case.

Now, clearly that was a ridiculous thing to write, but I would like to make a point regarding animals (and tables, if you like) that, to my mind, conveys their lack of rights:
    Think of the basic rights that you feel you have, as a person. Such as "freedom", in the sense of being able to come and go as you please. The problem with rights is that they are inexctricably bound up with duties - if you do not do your "duty" in obeying the law, then you lose your "right" to freedom, by being put in jail. You can't have rights without duties, because duties are what ensure we don't trample on other people's rights. A lack of duty will soon lead a person to a lack of rights.
    Now, tell me, what duties do animals have?
    And if the answer is "none", then on what other basis should we award them rights (given that we've established that they don't understand them, and never will, and do nothing to respect "our rights" - we'd find it absurd if they did!)

ZarathustraX
    Dude tables and chairs dont have feelings! animals feel things, they are gods creatures just like the rest of us. And when we kill them, we literally let them suffer, Animals reproduce, they move, many cry! they are totally different from chairs and tables!
    Yes children grow up and inherit rights, BUT when thye are babies they dont understand morals and right? same as animals, that doesnt mean we go killing them and eating them.
    and not eating meat is healthier in long term.

ReputationRep:
    Dude tables and chairs dont have feelings! animals feel things, they are gods creatures just like the rest of us. And when we kill them, we literally let them suffer, Animals reproduce, they move, many cry! they are totally different from chairs and tables!
    Yes children grow up and inherit rights, BUT when thye are babies they dont understand morals and right? same as animals, that doesnt mean we go killing them and eating them.
    and not eating meat is healthier in long term.
    What evidence have you got that not eating meat is healthier?

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.