Is it morally wrong to eat meat? Watch

This discussion is closed.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Lawzzzzzz)
Yes it would be meaningless in an absolute sense.

It is a descriptive phrase the alludes the view society would take of it.

There is no absolute a priori truth that you shouldnt do it. Its society that has constructed a normative system in which that is seen as "bad"...

the grund norm though is not predicated on anythign substantive.
Surely that would depends on religious belief. If christianity was definitely true for example then morals would be based on christian teaching and as the words of god they would be absolute.

So some people will see morals absolute and some won't depending on belief and it can't be proved either way at the moment.
naivesincerity
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Lawzzzzzz)
Yes it would be meaningless in an absolute sense.

Bu then you could say that of almost anything, which would render any debate dead....
Lawz-
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by viviki)
Surely that would depends on religious belief. If christianity was definitely true for example then morals would be based on christian teaching and as the words of god they would be absolute.

So some people will see morals absolute and some won't depending on belief and it can't be proved either way at the moment.
Well:

1. No - not at all - even if you DO assume the existence of god - you can still ask the question - Why should I obey him?

2. Many people who are secular speak about morality as if it were absolute.
Lawz-
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by naivesincerity)
Bu then you could say that of almost anything, which would render any debate dead....
Perhaps. But its the truth

Anyway - you can still have a debtate based on social norms - you just have to understand that they have no objective basis...

The grundnorm's validity is assumed... it cannot be proved.
Inverurie Jones
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
No, it isn't immoral.

That was easy.
comaEffigy
Report 13 years ago
I don't think it's morally wrong, just less morally right.

On the whole "natural" debate thing, although we are omnivorours, it could be seen that as we have advanced past other animals in such a complex and delevoped way, it's hard to equate the "other animals do it" theory. Especially since the majority of people don't have the moral 'ability', or even skill, to hunt a wild animal, so it is not really instinct.
Inverurie Jones
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
There's no moral argument at all. We can eat whatever we like.
cheesecakebobby
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by Inverurie Jones)
Ok, if you produce a brain dead infant, I'll eat it.
Inverurie Jones
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I may hold you to that.
cheesecakebobby
Rep:
?
I may hold you to that.
Funny how that was your 666th post
Inverurie Jones
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Cool.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
personally i think its harsh to put any animal through any pain or discomfort just for my benefit, i therefore am vegan.
Inverurie Jones
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by rxbeef)
personally i think its harsh to put any animal through any pain or discomfort just for my benefit, i therefore am vegan.
I think animals are far too tasty and I like leather jackets far too much to even consider that. Besides, don't you find you veggies fart a lot?
Douglas
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by rxbeef)
i therefore am vegan.
And that's what your brain will become.
Have you ever figured out that *you* are made of meat???????????????????
naivesincerity
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
We can eat whatever we like, therefore do we need to eat meat?, is the moral argument. If we were just carniverous, we'd have to, but we eat fruit, vegetables, grain etc, so is it necessary?
Dipsomaniac
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Why do you guys (and girls!) persist in this thread? All the fun is to be had in the 'Is it morally wrong to eat *human* meat' thread! ('Peter, its another sword') Go on... try it on!
Inverurie Jones
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by naivesincerity)
We can eat whatever we like, therefore do we need to eat meat?, is the moral argument. If we were just carniverous, we'd have to, but we eat fruit, vegetables, grain etc, so is it necessary?
Because meat is what most of us like. Who cares about necessity? Neither animals nor humans have any right to live (the only reason we pretend humans have that right is to protect ourselves) so what possible argument could there be against eating meat?
LawQueen
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by cheesecakebobby)
I have been a vegetarian for many years, as my parents decided to be vegetarians before I was born. Obviously all my meals at home were veggie, so I became accustomed to the diet. As soon as I started going to friends' houses, I started to taste meat, being curious little me. My discovery was a big "meh". I lived without it that long, and it was nothing special. Why start eating meat when I am perfectly happy and healthy being a veggie? And so it remained.

Recently however, I started to think about the moral debate of whether it is right or wrong to eat animals. And you know what, I couldn't find one convincing argument in favour of it being morally right. In my opinion, there is no moral justification for eating meat in a world (well at least in the civilised world) which no longer requires us to kill and eat animals to live.

Discuss.
well send your pet over to my house and we'll have a philosphical debate about it.
cheesecakebobby
Rep:
?
(Original post by ruthiepooos)
well send your pet over to my house and we'll have a philosphical debate about it.
No thanks, my rabbit might come back brainwashed with your FILTHY LIES.
Inverurie Jones
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by cheesecakebobby)
No thanks, my rabbit might come back brainwashed with your FILTHY LIES.
Send it to my house and the little bugger won't come back at all.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (294)
26.09%
Yes - they're famous (286)
25.38%
No I don't (547)
48.54%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed