JJ1005
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi,
Just wondering which accomodation I should go for at the university of bath,
1. I'm studing biochemistry so being quite near to bio/chem facilities would be good
2. very social but not too noisy - do some have common room type social spaces?
3. I also like sport/musical theatre
4. not too expensive!
5. near to main part of campus

thanks
University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by JJ1005)
Hi,
Just wondering which accomodation I should go for at the university of bath,
1. I'm studing biochemistry so being quite near to bio/chem facilities would be good
2. very social but not too noisy - do some have common room type social spaces?
3. I also like sport/musical theatre
4. not too expensive!
5. near to main part of campus

thanks
Hi,

I'm a final year NatSci (Biology with Pharmacology) student, so hopefully I can help I go through your points one by one, and give you my overall suggestions at the end.

1. The biology and biochemistry labs are quite far down one end of campus, past the lake. Polden and Norwood are probably the closest, but they are both quite different. Polden is ensuite and catered, and is a bit more expensive. It is at the far west end of campus by the psychology buildings, so it is the furthest away from the bus stop but really close to campus. Norwood is right in the centre of campus, above the SU, and is one of the cheapest options. You have a basin in your room, but shared bathrooms. Both Norwood and Polden have kitchens shared between your flat, plus a large social space for the whole building. In terms of location, Norwood is the best and sharing a bathroom isn't really an issue, as you'll do this in 2nd year onwards.
  2. All of the accommodation will have share kitchen/living room space shared between your flat. Polden, Norwood and The Quads all have an extra social space. I'd say Norwood is the most social, but because it is above the SU it can be slightly noisier on Wednesday and Saturday nights if you are on the lower 2 floors (BUT you get free entry to the clubs nights as compensation for the noise!). Quads is also quite social, but people often host pre-drinks and parties there because of the social space so the flats are often quite messy and noisy.
  3. We have the Sports Training Village (STV) on the east side of campus, so you can easily get involved in loads of different sports. We also have a facility called The Edge, which is an arts building next to the STV with music practice rooms, art studio, dance studio, theatre, cafe and orchestra practice rooms. We have several music and theatre societies which you can find here - people love these societies as everyone is super chill and socials are apparently amazing! In terms of sports/musical theatre, The Quads, Marlborough Court and Solsbury court are the best locations. These are all ensuite, but the Quads is part-catered whilst Marlborough/Solsbury are self-catered. Eastwood is also a good location, just behind Marlborough/Solsbury - these are shared bathroom houses, but they're usually really social!
  4. You can see a list of our accommodation prices here - Norwood and Eastwood are the cheapest options and both are pretty good locations.
  5. The most central accommodation building are (in order from closest to furthest): Norwood, Eastwood, Marlborough/Solsbury, The Quads.

All in all, I'd say that if you want an ensuite that is central and close to everything you want, then Marlborough and Solsbury are the best. If you don't care about having a shared bathroom, then Norwood and Eastwood are the best and the cheapest. I lived in Marlborough/Solsbury, and whilst they are lovely rooms with a lot of space, I wish I had opted for somewhere like Norwood or Eastwood. You save so much money by going for them, and they are the most social accommodations on campus. I personally would recommend against Quads, as it's part-catered and really expensive. They always have people coming in and out because people use the social space for parties/pres, so it can feel really crowded and messy. I hope this has helped, and please let me know if you have any more questions (about absolutely anything!)

Jessica, a final year NatSci student
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (300)
84.27%
No (56)
15.73%

Watched Threads