The Student Room Group

Warwick GEM programme 2022

Hi there, thanks for checking out this thread. This is the 2022 Entry discussion for Warwick University A100.

We're now onto the 2023 application cycle, you can find the 2023 thread here. Of course, you are still welcome to browse this thread as well, but please post in the 2023 one if you have questions about Warwick.
:biggrin:

I'm a 23 year old graduate with a 2:1 in Business management with Law.
I really want to pursue medicine but I'm full of self doubt and whether I would be competent enough to study it and succeed. I would hate to start and then fail/drop out.

I am from a non science background, but I have the ability to work hard. I can't move cities so the only option I have is Warwick's GEM programme. It would be my first and only choice. Is that a bad idea?

Can anyone let me know - what is medicine actually like?
Do you really have to be super smart, or is hard work, time, and determination enough?
Do you know any non trad students from a non science background who excelled or did well?

If anyone could give me some advice, I'd be so grateful.

Thank you.
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey! I'm a graduate medic myself and used to feel that all the time. Still do! Have a science degree, but a bunch in my course are from non-traditional backgrounds, such as business. We're all doing alright really.

Had very shoddy a-levels because of struggling with my mental health, built my confidence and resilience a lot up at university during my first degree. I personally feel looking back, at 18 I would have never been that emotionally mature to pick up a career of long-term commitment which is medicine. Given the amount of content involved, things do get stressful? It is just a lot of hard work and pure determination, you're not going to be spoon-fed and must go back to read up other sources to supplement your knowledge. I know this is where I want to be in life, so I always make the effort to ask questions, pick up any opportunity to improve my clinical skills on placement, provide revision lectures to the younger years as it reinforces my previous knowledge too etc... it's not about how smart you are at all but rather how much initiative you put in. I don't consider myself as particularly bright or intelligent by any means, but I want to do whatever it takes to ensure I can do the best I can for my future patients later down the line.

Think if you know this is for you, start by getting work experience and really finding out why medicine? Speak to the staff on wards, understand the ins and outs of the medical career (the best way you can do this is by actually being there, in the moment?). Warwick GEM also pay a lot of attention to your UCAT I believe, so definitely investigate that as well. You seem you'll be great, good luck!
Reply 2
Hi is anyone looking to apply this year for warwick as grad?
Reply 3
Depending on how things go this cycle - I am thinking about it! Good Luck!!
Reply 4
Original post by TJ-Medic
Depending on how things go this cycle - I am thinking about it! Good Luck!!

Definitely should! What background degree you coming from?
Reply 5
Original post by Bano99
Definitely should! What background degree you coming from?

I'm from the Arts and hoping I can make the career shift into Medicine - from the research I've done the Graduate Entry Medicine Courses are ideal for Medical Students from a range of backgrounds so I'm optimistic that if successful, Warwick would be perfect. What about you?
Reply 6
Original post by TJ-Medic
I'm from the Arts and hoping I can make the career shift into Medicine - from the research I've done the Graduate Entry Medicine Courses are ideal for Medical Students from a range of backgrounds so I'm optimistic that if successful, Warwick would be perfect. What about you?

Oh I really hope so! Does warwick consider a levels gcse etc i know on the website it states no but do they often select applicants to make a decision between the two depending on a levels gcse’s , i didnt do a levels as my degree β€˜health studies’ didnt require it . so not sure. I completed nursing foundation degree then top’d it up with a health studies degree
Hi @Bano99, Warwick don't consider GCSE or A-Level grades at all. If you're a borderline candidate they'll use other aspects of your application like UCAT to make those decisions. Sounds like you'd be a good candidate with your previous degree! Where else are you thinking of applying?

Anna
Y3 Southampton Grad Medic
Register for Webinars: www.medicmind.co.uk/medic-mind-webinars/
Reply 8
Original post by Medic Mind
Hi @Bano99, Warwick don't consider GCSE or A-Level grades at all. If you're a borderline candidate they'll use other aspects of your application like UCAT to make those decisions. Sounds like you'd be a good candidate with your previous degree! Where else are you thinking of applying?

Anna
Y3 Southampton Grad Medic
Register for Webinars: www.medicmind.co.uk/medic-mind-webinars/

Hey thankyou for your response im currently a nurse with 3 years experience variety of clinical settings i have a 2:1 in health studies i am looking to apply Newcastle also as i wish to avoid the gamsat :frown:
Reply 9
Hey guys , I applied to Warwick for entry this year with a UCAT of 2730, B1, 1:1 prediction in my Biochemistry BSc, care home volunteering and shadowing experience. I was rejected post-interview from Warwick and Barts, so I'm reapplying this year! If you've got any questions about my experience of the application process (within reason lol) then feel free to ask :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by 020200
Hey guys , I applied to Warwick for entry this year with a UCAT of 2730, B1, 1:1 prediction in my Biochemistry BSc, care home volunteering and shadowing experience. I was rejected post-interview from Warwick and Barts, so I'm reapplying this year! If you've got any questions about my experience of the application process (within reason lol) then feel free to ask :smile:

Hey ah sorry to hear! Hopefully you ace it this year , i wanted to ask what did you do in a levels amd grades? Also gcses as im quite concerned regards this applying to Warwick
Reply 11
Original post by Bano99
Hey ah sorry to hear! Hopefully you ace it this year , i wanted to ask what did you do in a levels amd grades? Also gcses as im quite concerned regards this applying to Warwick

Haha no worries!

Warwick don't consider your A-Levels/GCSEs at all (see their website), although I don't know if they will change this for 2022 entry. They don't even say anything about passing Maths and English GCSE which is bizarre as most medical courses require English proficiency at GCSE level. Definitely check the medical schools that you want to apply to because if you don't meet their minimum Maths/English Language requirements, it's likely you'd be rejected pre-interview unless you had some kind of mitigating circumstance. What are your GCSE Maths and English grades if you don't mind me prodding lol?

I'd say it's probably a good idea to ring up/email Warwick and tell them about your circumstances/grades to see if you are eligible to apply? Good luck :wink:

I got AAA at A-Level in Maths, Biology and Chemistry btw
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by 020200
Haha no worries!

Warwick don't consider your A-Levels/GCSEs at all (see their website), although I don't know if they will change this for 2022 entry. They don't even say anything about passing Maths and English GCSE which is bizarre as most medical courses require English proficiency at GCSE level. Definitely check the medical schools that you want to apply to because if you don't meet their minimum Maths/English Language requirements, it's likely you'd be rejected pre-interview unless you had some kind of mitigating circumstance. What are your GCSE Maths and English grades if you don't mind me prodding lol?

I'd say it's probably a good idea to ring up/email Warwick and tell them about your circumstances/grades to see if you are eligible to apply? Good luck :wink:

I got AAA at A-Level in Maths, Biology and Chemistry btw

Hey thankyou for your reply i done a nursing degree so i didnt require a levels to get in i done btec extended diploma got a DMM , also i got gcse C’s at maths and both english lit and lang, and thats good they dont consider a levels and gcse, (optimistic) and i thought they might want some sort of science🀷🏽*♀️ But quite hopeful now. Thankyou
Reply 13
I'm applying from Psychology (I got a 2:1). I am worried about starting revision for UCAT too early but last year my score was absolutely terrible like honestly really terrible so I really want to push myself this year
Reply 14
Original post by Iceyy18
I'm applying from Psychology (I got a 2:1). I am worried about starting revision for UCAT too early but last year my score was absolutely terrible like honestly really terrible so I really want to push myself this year

The first time I sat the UCAT, I got in the 3rd Decile, but last year I got in the 8th. From my experience, if you use the right programme (can't express how important that is) and prepare for the difficult question types well you can definitely make an improvement. Good luck :smile:
Reply 15
I’ll be applying to Warwick, well.. depending on my UCAT. It’s my only UCAT university so need a good score or it’ll all be GAMSAT unis this year.
Reply 16
Original post by 020200
The first time I sat the UCAT, I got in the 3rd Decile, but last year I got in the 8th. From my experience, if you use the right programme (can't express how important that is) and prepare for the difficult question types well you can definitely make an improvement. Good luck :smile:

Thanks for the advice! I plan on using medify and also the 1250 UKCAT book to build up my technique and practice as many questions as I can. And then eventually the official UCAT resources to practice questions closer to the real exam.
I intend to apply again this year, assuming the UCAT goes ok :smile: - MSc Clinical Psychology and HCA background :smile:
Reply 18
Hi guys, does anyone have a rough estimate as to what the UCAT cut off was this year? I had a copy of the spreadsheet but it's disappeared so I can't check/ estimate myself, unfortunately.

Congratulations to all those with offers and commiserations to those without (I'll see you in next year's thread)!
Reply 19
Original post by Bexjw
Hi guys, does anyone have a rough estimate as to what the UCAT cut off was this year? I had a copy of the spreadsheet but it's disappeared so I can't check/ estimate myself, unfortunately.

Congratulations to all those with offers and commiserations to those without (I'll see you in next year's thread)!

About 2720, I think, iirc

Quick Reply

Latest