medicphd
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by RR5)
Oh, yeah that will be difficult, I have been applying to bank jobs too but haven’t heard back and I don’t really have any experience in hospital which some bank jobs are looking for. Do you have healthcare experience?
Yeah of the few bank jobs that do come up they often say in the advert they want someone with at least 6 months experience. I have experience in a diagnostic lab but nothing patient-facing unfortunately.
abh27sss
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Watch Ollie Burton's videos on Youtube. He has posted many videos about Warwick GEM.
Medicinally
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Is there a thread for Warwick graduate entry medicine 2022 entry?
scavo86
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Current student at WMS here, coming from a non-science background, having not done science since GCSE (many many moons ago). I dropped into the 2021 entry thread and will periodically be on this one over the coming months if anyone wishes to engage and fire questions at me. I am just coming to the end of the first year, so application process is still fairly fresh in my mind. Do let me know if I can be of any assistance, best of luck with applications everyone, wherever you decide to apply.
Bano99
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by scavo86)
Current student at WMS here, coming from a non-science background, having not done science since GCSE (many many moons ago). I dropped into the 2021 entry thread and will periodically be on this one over the coming months if anyone wishes to engage and fire questions at me. I am just coming to the end of the first year, so application process is still fairly fresh in my mind. Do let me know if I can be of any assistance, best of luck with applications everyone, wherever you decide to apply.
Hey , i had a few questions
I havent done any a levels as my nursing degree required btec diploma would i be at disadvantage also does Warwick consider gcse and a levels i know website states they dont but do you know if they choose candidates with better academic background?
RR5
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hey,

How is it studying at GEM at Warwick coming from a non-science background? How is the lectures and experience, especially during the pandemic.
abh27sss
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hello, how are you coping with the workload? Did you do/revise any biology or chemistry before starting the course?Thanks.
scavo86
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Bano99)
Hey , i had a few questions
I havent done any a levels as my nursing degree required btec diploma would i be at disadvantage also does Warwick consider gcse and a levels i know website states they dont but do you know if they choose candidates with better academic background?
They won't pay any attention to your A-levels/GCSEs (even later down the application line), predmoninant focus on degree class & UCAT score along with work experience.
scavo86
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by RR5)
Hey,

How is it studying at GEM at Warwick coming from a non-science background? How is the lectures and experience, especially during the pandemic.
Happily, there is a lot of support both from tutors & peers, they have a fantastic group of upper year non-scientists teaching the first year non-scientists, with this having gone on for a number of years. Tutors are readily available via email/Microsoft Teams if you feel as if you are not quite getting something first or second time.

Due to the pandemic 90% of the year has been delivered online rather than face to face, does not seem to have detrimentally impacted the cohort but of course we haven't taken exams yet, so the proof of the pudding is in the eating and all that, but the early indications are decent.
scavo86
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by abh27sss)
Hello, how are you coping with the workload? Did you do/revise any biology or chemistry before starting the course?Thanks.
Workload is intense, but I find it enjoyable and have managed to keep up. It keeps coming at you, although the vacation periods in the first year are generous. First year is essentially pre-clinical, and that has been accentuated by the pandemic. I did not do any pre-reading at all, but that is personal preference and I know plenty of people who did, both science & non-science background. WMS will provide you with some core texts & pre-reading if you want to do it, but there is also a sense that you should fully enjoy your last summer before the commencement of the course.
gemplzx
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
They won't pay any attention to your A-levels/GCSEs (even later down the application line), predmoninant focus on degree class & UCAT score along with work experience.
Do you know if it's a significant disadvantage to have a 2.1 rather than a first? Do you know roughly how much the classification counts for consideration of your application?
scavo86
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by gemplzx)
Do you know if it's a significant disadvantage to have a 2.1 rather than a first? Do you know roughly how much the classification counts for consideration of your application?
Good question, I cannot recall exactly how the points are awarded, I think you only get points for the highest qualification, so if you have a 2:1, Masters, and a PhD, you are only going to get the points for the PhD (no double/triple counting etc). Sorry, that doesn't answer the question directly, but I do not recall if the exact ranking process is ever published other than being outlined in general terms. However, I think I can say that you would not be at a 'significant disadvantage', many of the cohort I am in have 2:1s and no additional education in terms of higher degrees or a higher classification. I think there might be some FoI requests (perhaps quite historic now), that also indicate that those with 2:1s make up a large bulk of the cohorts. That is not to say that competition isn't increasing as the years go by (especially so this year judging from the 2021 thread) but, in conclusion, I do not personally think having a 2:1 puts you at a disadvantage let alone a significant disadvantage. Do keep in mind that Warwick gives out circa. 265 offers, that is a high number and whilst competition is around 9-11/1 in terms of there being a good chunk of places available, I say give it a shot, just double down on that UCAT practice a month or so ahead of the test.
gemplzx
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Good question, I cannot recall exactly how the points are awarded, I think you only get points for the highest qualification, so if you have a 2:1, Masters, and a PhD, you are only going to get the points for the PhD (no double/triple counting etc). Sorry, that doesn't answer the question directly, but I do not recall if the exact ranking process is ever published other than being outlined in general terms. However, I think I can say that you would not be at a 'significant disadvantage', many of the cohort I am in have 2:1s and no additional education in terms of higher degrees or a higher classification. I think there might be some FoI requests (perhaps quite historic now), that also indicate that those with 2:1s make up a large bulk of the cohorts. That is not to say that competition isn't increasing as the years go by (especially so this year judging from the 2021 thread) but, in conclusion, I do not personally think having a 2:1 puts you at a disadvantage let alone a significant disadvantage. Do keep in mind that Warwick gives out circa. 265 offers, that is a high number and whilst competition is around 9-11/1 in terms of there being a good chunk of places available, I say give it a shot, just double down on that UCAT practice a month or so ahead of the test.
That's really helpful thank you! I'm studying for the UCAT as we speak
iNick1
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Is anyone else facing difficulties obtaining work experience to apply for Medicine at Warwick University during the pandemic? They have a 70+ hour minimum requirement consisting of 20 hours maximum shadowing and 50 hours maximum providing hands on care. The experience needs to have occurred within October 15th 2017- October 15th 2021

My first proper shadowing experience is admittedly a bit dated now occurring in September 2017 and so I decided to get some hands on experience working as a carer up for 6 months until the first lockdown. I did plan to continue working there but living with my parents they were concerned that I would bring Covid back home and so I stepped down from the role. To be fair the care home did subsequently have cases of the virus so I think I made the right decision. Regardless I have now easily obtained the 50 hours minimum of hands on work experience and coupled with the Brighton and Sussex Medical School Virtual work experience which Warwick will accept for 10 hours but I'm now just 10 hours short. I hate to approach this like a tick box exercise and genuinely want to get better insights into medicine but the months are passing quickly and I quite desperately need to find some other accepted work experience to submit an application with Warwick. I have been applying to lots of local GPs to see if they will take be on for a couple of weeks shadowing but again with the pandemic ongoing and the pressures being faced by all healthcare services I think this is very unlikely to happen.
Another virtual work experience called observe GP exists but again Warwick won't accept it because it's not certified. Amazingly going through every other experience they would accept its is incredibly difficult to achieve. For example I could work as a 111 Operator, which would mean I would have to quit my current job. Im just not prepared to gamble my job on a notoriously difficult medicine application (this isnt my first application to medicine).

It just so frustrating that Warwick are taking such a hard line when other universities are being much more understanding given the circumstances.

If anyone has any advice or finds themselves in a similar situation let me know.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by iNick1)
...If anyone has any advice or finds themselves in a similar situation let me know.
Please post in this thread, the one we're in now, for Warwick GEM 2022 entry queries.

Warwick is one of the very few true "work-experience-heavy" med schools. They have actually already slightly relaxed their WEx requirements due to COVID - by expanding the window of WEx acceptance.

Is there any other med schools you can apply to? And of course, you still have until October for work experience.
Last edited by ecolier; 4 months ago
iNick1
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Please post in this thread, the one we're in now, for Warwick GEM 2022 entry queries.

Warwick is one of the very few true "work-experience-heavy" med schools. They have actually already slightly relaxed their WEx requirements due to COVID - by expanding the window of WEx acceptance.

Is there any other med schools you can apply to? And of course, you still have until October for work experience.
Hi Sorry I've never really posted a question on TSR, Has it automatically added it? Yeah they did slightly relax their cut off but because the pandemic has been going on longer than a year and they haven't extended further my experience now falls short and im looking for more. Yeah there are other medical schools I will apply to, but with Warwick being a graduate only programme its certainly one of my best choices. Somewhat depends on UCAT scores. Would love to apply to Newcastle for example having studied their for my undergraduate but their UCAT is notoriously high. And yeah you're right I do have till October, Im just so aware how quickly time flies and want to at least arrange something as early as possible.
medicphd
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Is anyone else facing difficulties obtaining work experience to apply for Medicine at Warwick University during the pandemic? They have a 70+ hour minimum requirement consisting of 20 hours maximum shadowing and 50 hours maximum providing hands on care. The experience needs to have occurred within October 15th 2017- October 15th 2021

My first proper shadowing experience is admittedly a bit dated now occurring in September 2017 and so I decided to get some hands on experience working as a carer up for 6 months until the first lockdown. I did plan to continue working there but living with my parents they were concerned that I would bring Covid back home and so I stepped down from the role. To be fair the care home did subsequently have cases of the virus so I think I made the right decision. Regardless I have now easily obtained the 50 hours minimum of hands on work experience and coupled with the Brighton and Sussex Medical School Virtual work experience which Warwick will accept for 10 hours but I'm now just 10 hours short. I hate to approach this like a tick box exercise and genuinely want to get better insights into medicine but the months are passing quickly and I quite desperately need to find some other accepted work experience to submit an application with Warwick. I have been applying to lots of local GPs to see if they will take be on for a couple of weeks shadowing but again with the pandemic ongoing and the pressures being faced by all healthcare services I think this is very unlikely to happen.
Another virtual work experience called observe GP exists but again Warwick won't accept it because it's not certified. Amazingly going through every other experience they would accept its is incredibly difficult to achieve. For example I could work as a 111 Operator, which would mean I would have to quit my current job. Im just not prepared to gamble my job on a notoriously difficult medicine application (this isnt my first application to medicine).

It just so frustrating that Warwick are taking such a hard line when other universities are being much more understanding given the circumstances.

If anyone has any advice or finds themselves in a similar situation let me know.
You have 4 months to gain 10 hours experience which is completely doable, that's not even 2 full days work. It should be easy for you to get something like a support worker in a mental health organisation seeing as you already have carer experience, and that would give you experience in a different environment.

I have essentially 0 hours experience because it's been incredibly difficult to get a role due to covid and also because I have no patient facing experience. I'm still applying for positions, and Warwick is still on the cards, but if I don't meet their (slightly extreme) work experience requirements then it's not the end of the world, I'm applying to GAMSAT unis mostly.
iNick1
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by medicphd)
You have 4 months to gain 10 hours experience which is completely doable, that's not even 2 full days work. It should be easy for you to get something like a support worker in a mental health organisation seeing as you already have carer experience, and that would give you experience in a different environment.

I have essentially 0 hours experience because it's been incredibly difficult to get a role due to covid and also because I have no patient facing experience. I'm still applying for positions, and Warwick is still on the cards, but if I don't meet their (slightly extreme) work experience requirements then it's not the end of the world, I'm applying to GAMSAT unis mostly.
Haha yeah its like its taunting me. I think I would really recommend for you trying to get some experience in a care home if you can. I'm sure a local care home would jump at the chance to take you? I worked on a bank hours contract which worked well for me Doing 12 hours shifts, day or night 2/3 times a week. Could even do a half day on a weekend which usually is free because staff want their weekends with family etc. If like me you have difficulties with parents and covid or care homes aren't taking new staff then I really sympathise. Have you done the BSMS virtual work experience? If not I would start Asap because it takes a while to get the certificate (still time though). And that'll be a good 10 hours though to get you started.
medicphd
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Haha yeah its like its taunting me. I think I would really recommend for you trying to get some experience in a care home if you can. I'm sure a local care home would jump at the chance to take you? I worked on a bank hours contract which worked well for me Doing 12 hours shifts, day or night 2/3 times a week. Could even do a half day on a weekend which usually is free because staff want their weekends with family etc. If like me you have difficulties with parents and covid or care homes aren't taking new staff then I really sympathise. Have you done the BSMS virtual work experience? If not I would start Asap because it takes a while to get the certificate (still time though). And that'll be a good 10 hours though to get you started.
Yeah it's been difficult because of covid because I've been in a different city than I usually would be so it's hard to commit to a role because I don't know when I'll be moving back to my usual city. I've started the BSMS WE I just haven't got round to doing the essay bit yet but I really need to get it done as soon as possible, I'm hoping maybe this weekend to do it.

Shadowing isn't really a problem for me because I work with a lot of doctors and so I have plans to shadow them in summer, but getting actual hands-on care experience has proven more difficult than hoped! I understand why the WE criteria is so strict for Warwick but it'd be nice to have a bit of leniency!
Shaky2017
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hey I applied last year and was also struggling for work experience so just wanted to add my two cents. I managed to get a bank HCA job that asked for experience with none, so if you have the option no harm in applying cos they might really like you at interview. Also for the additional 20 hours, 3 weeks before the deadline I still didn’t have it so I called every pharmacist in my area and managed to get 20 hour (two 10hr days) shadowing in before the deadline and it was all good. Just to say you’ve still got loads of time and sometimes it just takes a bit of perseverance good luck all
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (316)
57.25%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (77)
13.95%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (62)
11.23%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (48)
8.7%
I haven't started researching yet (28)
5.07%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (21)
3.8%

Watched Threads