Warwick GEM programme 2022

Watch this thread
RR5
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Shaky2017)
Hey I applied last year and was also struggling for work experience so just wanted to add my two cents. I managed to get a bank HCA job that asked for experience with none, so if you have the option no harm in applying cos they might really like you at interview. Also for the additional 20 hours, 3 weeks before the deadline I still didn’t have it so I called every pharmacist in my area and managed to get 20 hour (two 10hr days) shadowing in before the deadline and it was all good. Just to say you’ve still got loads of time and sometimes it just takes a bit of perseverance good luck all
Hey, I have tried applying to a lot of HCA job but they didn’t give me the job because I didn’t have any experience even though they said I did really well in the interview. How did you manage to find a bank HCA job with no experience? I have the 70 hours requirement for Warwick from 2 years ago.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by RR5)
...How did you manage to find a bank HCA job with no experience?...
Some trusts need experience, some don't... so it may be a matter of looking further afield.
Bano99
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Anyone else struggling with ucat😶
London legal
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hi,

Reading the work experience chit chat has me all nervous, thinking I have done it all wrong as none of my experience involve shadowing.

I have care home experience from Dec 2019 - Jan 2020, volunteered as a covid tester at a hospital from Nov 2020 - Jan 2021 and now working as bank HCA. I hope to God this is sufficient for Warwick as it's my first choice being a non-science grad with no science a-levels. I've been on this for about 2 years....
medicphd
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Is anyone here using the vaccinator role as their work experience for the application? I previously emailed them to ask if they accepted the COVID19 vaccinator role as work experience and they said they did. It's also now included on their website which is great, it says "COVID vaccinator roles (vaccinators only – greeting/marshalling is not included)". I'm technically down as a vaccinator, but I don't physically give the vaccine, I help the RN who gives the vaccine. My role is to confirm the patients details/enter the details into the system/distract the person whilst they get the vaccine etc. So I'm not a vaccinator, but nor am I greeting/marshalling. Does anyone know if this is acceptable?

I am trying to get more hands-on experience at the moment, but it's been difficult for a number of reasons unfortunately.
cocoabeaneo
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by medicphd)
Is anyone here using the vaccinator role as their work experience for the application? I previously emailed them to ask if they accepted the COVID19 vaccinator role as work experience and they said they did. It's also now included on their website which is great, it says "COVID vaccinator roles (vaccinators only – greeting/marshalling is not included)". I'm technically down as a vaccinator, but I don't physically give the vaccine, I help the RN who gives the vaccine. My role is to confirm the patients details/enter the details into the system/distract the person whilst they get the vaccine etc. So I'm not a vaccinator, but nor am I greeting/marshalling. Does anyone know if this is acceptable?

I am trying to get more hands-on experience at the moment, but it's been difficult for a number of reasons unfortunately.
I'd contact them again just to be on the safe side and have it confirmed in writing, but I reckon that's acceptable as you're still demonstrating skills like empathy, communication etc even if you're not delivering the vaccine yourself!
AyubAhady
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hi guys, just thought I’d jump in here as well. Just graduated from my degree in medical physiology (got my results today which was a 2:1 yehoo).

I’ve been eyeing Warwick uni up for the past 2-3 years but the daunting thing is just the ucat for me. Tried last year and flopped so badly (didn’t even make the 600 average). Going to give another try this year and only give myself no more than 4 weeks.

I’ve been working as a cardiac technician for some time and have also got previous experience as a care worker from last year. I’m going to ask if I can shadow one of the consultants In the department for a few days and hopefully my work experience part should be okay.

Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated!
RR5
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by AyubAhady)
Hi guys, just thought I’d jump in here as well. Just graduated from my degree in medical physiology (got my results today which was a 2:1 yehoo).

I’ve been eyeing Warwick uni up for the past 2-3 years but the daunting thing is just the ucat for me. Tried last year and flopped so badly (didn’t even make the 600 average). Going to give another try this year and only give myself no more than 4 weeks.

I’ve been working as a cardiac technician for some time and have also got previous experience as a care worker from last year. I’m going to ask if I can shadow one of the consultants In the department for a few days and hopefully my work experience part should be okay.

Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated!
Hi,

Congratulations on your 2.1. Don’t worry I applied last year too, the ucat exam is very daunting but we can learn from our mistakes and improve.

You have work experience covered so you just need to ace the ucat. Good luck with the preparation.
Leaf.
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
How are people managing to secure work experience? I work as a locum pharmacist but struggling to find any placements for GP/Hospital etc.
Bellbird_19
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hi folks

I'm starting a GEM course this year having gone through through this application process last year... I feel your pain! Warwick is one of the unis I applied to and I also found it hard to meet the care work requirements but eventually found a lovely arrangement as a carer for a private client in London. This client is currently looking for new carers. If anyone is in London and interested in taking on this role (currently weekend work - but shifts available at various times throughout the week) DM me. There is a public ad up which I can forward to you if interested. I learned so much from doing this work and it really helped all my applications to have this experience!

Cheers!
B
jaipreet.gahir
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 020200)
Hey guys , I applied to Warwick for entry this year with a UCAT of 2730, B1, 1:1 prediction in my Biochemistry BSc, care home volunteering and shadowing experience. I was rejected post-interview from Warwick and Barts, so I'm reapplying this year! If you've got any questions about my experience of the application process (within reason lol) then feel free to ask
Hi, do you know if Warwick asks for evidence of work experience on the ucas application, or if they ask for it after you have applied, if so- when do they ask as I am worried I might not get the references in time
Bexjw
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jaipreet.gahir)
Hi, do you know if Warwick asks for evidence of work experience on the ucas application, or if they ask for it after you have applied, if so- when do they ask as I am worried I might not get the references in time
It’s after you’ve applied and they set a deadline for the references to be submitted. They also ask that the originals are brought to interview as well. They’re strict on the format too so I would start prepping them now, so you don’t have any issues.
jaipreet.gahir
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
That’s good to know thank you
aksharapedz
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Is it worth my time as an international student to apply for the GEM program at Warwick? How difficult is it for an international student to make it into the program?
Queen2020
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hi all, I thought I would introduce myself. I graduated with a 2:1 from chemical engineering in 2019, I’ve got work experience working as a health care assistant for 2 different employers. This is my second time applying as I applied last year and was rejected pre interview, probably due to my UCAT. My UCAT score was 2690 last year with band 2 so I’m hoping that this year I can achieve higher! Apparently the cut off last year was 2720 so I think I just about didn’t make it which is kinda annoying :/
MechEngta
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Queen2020)
Hi all, I thought I would introduce myself. I graduated with a 2:1 from chemical engineering in 2019, I’ve got work experience working as a health care assistant for 2 different employers. This is my second time applying as I applied last year and was rejected pre interview, probably due to my UCAT. My UCAT score was 2690 last year with band 2 so I’m hoping that this year I can achieve higher! Apparently the cut off last year was 2720 so I think I just about didn’t make it which is kinda annoying :/
hi there, i'm currently doing mechanical engineering and I'm finding it difficult to get a job as a HCA. where and how did you apply for it?
abh27sss
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MechEngta)
hi there, i'm currently doing mechanical engineering and I'm finding it difficult to get a job as a HCA. where and how did you apply for it?
Start with bank HCA and be willing to travel.
Queen2020
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MechEngta)
Hiya, I basically made a CV and tailored it to health care jobs. I put on the CV that I already had experience as a HCA. Then I did a phone interview which was really easy just had to research the company. I applied for a nursing home with a company called Maria Mallaband as a healthcare assistant. It was pretty easy to get! Hope that helps
MechEngta
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Queen2020)
Hiya, I basically made a CV and tailored it to health care jobs. I put on the CV that I already had experience as a HCA. Then I did a phone interview which was really easy just had to research the company. I applied for a nursing home with a company called Maria Mallaband as a healthcare assistant. It was pretty easy to get! Hope that helps
sounds good, thank you!
sxrxhkhxn
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
hii everyone! I am planning to apply for GEM at Warwick in 2022 for 2023 entry (I'm doing Optometry atm), but having issues with work experience as I've only got 20 hours so far - does anyone know if Warwick care when the work experience was? Like if I complete the 70hours just a few weeks before my application is that fine? Or do they prefer if it was like evenly spread out over the last 3/4 years? Because of COVID most places aren't accepting Thank youuu
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (29)
17.68%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (41)
25%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (85)
51.83%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (9)
5.49%

Watched Threads