The Student Room Group

Warwick GEM programme 2022

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by medicphd
Do you know how much they tend to lower the UCAT threshold for for PhD holders? It doesn't seem to say anything about that on their website.

I wasn’t aware that they lower the UCAT threshold at all for degrees, the website states you need a postgrad degree to compensate for a 2:2 but that was it and then it should be cut off by VR mean and then rank and shortlist by UCAT score
Hi,I just came back after taking my UCAT. Really stressed about the result. I got 2800, with 680 in VR. The real problem is that I have a band 4, which has taken me by surprise. Not once did get anything lower than band 2 on the mocks. So I was wondering, are there any applicants who got into Warwick med with a band 4 in situational judgement?
Reply 102
Original post by Yahyasaif
Hi,I just came back after taking my UCAT. Really stressed about the result. I got 2800, with 680 in VR. The real problem is that I have a band 4, which has taken me by surprise. Not once did get anything lower than band 2 on the mocks. So I was wondering, are there any applicants who got into Warwick med with a band 4 in situational judgement?

Probably best to submit an FOI request to Warwick
Reply 103

Spreadsheet data doesn’t show SJT scores unfortunately. You’d be relying on someone behind honest and letting you know - not always likely!
Original post by Bexjw
Spreadsheet data doesn’t show SJT scores unfortunately. You’d be relying on someone behind honest and letting you know - not always likely!

Agreed, even though Warwick doesn’t say that band 4 will be automatically rejected, but I haven’t heard of anyone getting into Warwick with a band 4 (or anywhere else for that matter).

Website does say "We will also be considering the Situational Judgement section of the test."
Probably best to ring them and ask
Original post by UnimanTom
Hi guys I am looking for some advice.

I got an overall score of 2880 in my UCAT, but only
570 in VR. I am starting to feel like this is too low to apply to Warwick as they base off cohort average not national average. Does anyone have any advice? Anything appreciated.

VR national averages over the last few years ( https://www.ucat.ac.uk/media/1415/ucat-test-statistics-2016_2019.pdf // https://www.ucat.ac.uk/media/1446/ucat-test-statistics-oct-2020-updated-281020.pdf )
2016 - 573
2017 - 570
2018 - 567
2019 - 565
2020 - 570

I'm in a similar boat to you (although you've crushed my overall score) - 2750 w/570 in VR. I wouldn't put off applying - based on these avg's we'd be more unlucky to get rejected via VR score than lucky to make it thru that round!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by asclepeion
I wasn’t aware that they lower the UCAT threshold at all for degrees, the website states you need a postgrad degree to compensate for a 2:2 but that was it and then it should be cut off by VR mean and then rank and shortlist by UCAT score

The only bit on their website that makes it sound like they might lower the threshold for postgrads is this: "The lowest UCAT score for an applicant with an undergraduate degree who was invited to Selection Centre was..." Specifying undergrad might mean that it was lower for those with postgrad qualifications?
Was looking at Warwick as my top choice for GEM but sadly although I just got 2820 yesterday my VR score was 550 so definitely going to rejected!
Original post by Bellbird_19
Hi folks

I'm starting a GEM course this year having gone through through this application process last year... I feel your pain! Warwick is one of the unis I applied to and I also found it hard to meet the care work requirements but eventually found a lovely arrangement as a carer for a private client in London. This client is currently looking for new carers. If anyone is in London and interested in taking on this role (currently weekend work - but shifts available at various times throughout the week) DM me. There is a public ad up which I can forward to you if interested. I learned so much from doing this work and it really helped all my applications to have this experience!

Cheers!
B

Hey, currently looking to gain work experience and i'm london based, would love if you could send me some details! I will message you privately. Thank you!
A couple of questions...

UCAT score... is 2600 sufficient or will I need 2700 and more?

The work experience requirements... I have shadowed a GP and have assessed patients a little bit (using an otoscope amongst other things). Warwick will want me to have another 35-50 hours of hands on experience... how on earth am I expected to get this? My grandmother is in a care home and my mother has rarely been able to visit her for the past 18 months. There have been a few pod visits in recent months where 2 people are allowed to visit for 15 minutes. How exactly does Warwick expect me to obtain 35-50 hours of hands on experience in a care setting or in the NHS? I don't have connections, I don't know anyone who is a doctor and it was difficult enough to get my GP work experience.

I'm looking at Warwick because of the number of places, but it looks like I will have to go with GAMSAT only universities because of this ludicrous work experience requirement. 70 hours is arbitrary as it is the quality of work expeirence that matters not the quantity. Warwick is the only university I have seen that asks for so much.
Reply 111
Original post by anonmed9
The work experience requirements... I have shadowed a GP and have assessed patients a little bit (using an otoscope amongst other things). Warwick will want me to have another 35-50 hours of hands on experience... how on earth am I expected to get this? My grandmother is in a care home and my mother has rarely been able to visit her for the past 18 months. There have been a few pod visits in recent months where 2 people are allowed to visit for 15 minutes. How exactly does Warwick expect me to obtain 35-50 hours of hands on experience in a care setting or in the NHS? I don't have connections, I don't know anyone who is a doctor and it was difficult enough to get my GP work experience.

I'm looking at Warwick because of the number of places, but it looks like I will have to go with GAMSAT only universities because of this ludicrous work experience requirement. 70 hours is arbitrary as it is the quality of work expeirence that matters not the quantity. Warwick is the only university I have seen that asks for so much.

https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/med/study/ugr/applying/covid-19_warwick_medical_school_admissions_-_tunstall_2020_v7.pdf
Original post by anonmed9
A couple of questions...

UCAT score... is 2600 sufficient or will I need 2700 and more?

Hi there, I can appreciate it's hard to get the relevant experience needed, personally I haven't been able to for various reasons so I won't be able to apply to Warwick. But to play devils advocate you don't need connections to get a HCA job or a care assistant job. Warwick's definition of hands-on care refers to some kind of care assistant position, not shadowing healthcare professionals. I'm not a fan of their cut-off but I can appreciate why they do it. 70 hours gives you a realistic idea of what it's like to care for patients and so I guess their line of thinking is that they are weeding out people who perhaps don't know the realities of working in healthcare.

I do think that in the midst of the pandemic they should've been more lenient than just adjusting their timeframe by a year (and adding a few different roles), but what can you do.
Original post by Aspiringmedic279
Hello everyone,

I've been scrolling through student room for a few days now trying to ascertain where would be best to apply. I'm in my final year of my biomedical science degree and I'm looking at undergraduate medicine.
There are people with higher stats than me getting rejected and people with lower stats getting interviews so if anyone could give me some clarity and soothe my nerves it would be much appreciated!

My stats:
UK student
Predicted 1st in Biomedical Science
Ucat: 2670 B3. I scored above 500 in all sections with 740 VR
A levels: absolutely awful so out of the question haha
GCSE: 5 A's 5 B's
Work experience: volunteering for over a year at a busy London hospital. (I believe this will add up overall to the 70 hours required)

I've recently been looking into Warwick. The website states that 70 hours of work placement must be undertaken over the course of a minimum of 2 placements however, all my work experience has been from one hospital. Would this suffice? I tried emailing them but they weren't helpful and just said "we can't advise due to a high volume of queries"

If it was 2 separate roles/positions then I can't see why not.
No unfortunately it's been the same role at the same hospital. Would this be an issue?

Most likely seeing as they specify 2 separate positions. I'm not sure if you'll have time now, but the BSMS online work experience is counted, but only if you get the certificate at the end, and I think they're taking ~5 weeks to get back now.
Oh the online work experience counts?! I'm actually in the middle of it and can easily finish it off. Would this suffice?

From their guidance: 'We accept the Bright and Sussex Medical School Virtual Work Experience for a maximum of 10 hours as long as the reflection is completed, and you can provide a certificate of completion. Other online course will not be accepted unless they are credit bearing and verified.'

Seeing as it only counts for 10 hours, you'd have to get another 10 hours from somewhere else. I also doubt you'll get the certificate on time because I think you'll have to have received it by 15/10, and it's taking ~5 weeks to get.
Reply 116
No unfortunately it's been the same role at the same hospital. Would this be an issue?

This would go down as 1 work experience. I asked Warwick last year because I was a permanent NHS HCA on one ward/department and I did bank shifts in completely different departments (same hospital) with slightly different skills required/used and it counted as just 1 HCA work experience
Reply 117
Is anyone aware or has any idea of a score of 2690 Band 2, as a dental graduate being acceptable for Warwick, or would my low UCAT knock me out?
Hello everyone,

I've been scrolling through student room for a few days now trying to ascertain where would be best to apply. I'm in my final year of my biomedical science degree and I'm looking at undergraduate medicine.
There are people with higher stats than me getting rejected and people with lower stats getting interviews so if anyone could give me some clarity and soothe my nerves it would be much appreciated!

My stats:
UK student
Predicted 1st in Biomedical Science
Ucat: 2670 B3. I scored above 500 in all sections with 740 VR
A levels: absolutely awful so out of the question haha
GCSE: 5 A's 5 B's
Work experience: volunteering for over a year at a busy London hospital. (I believe this will add up overall to the 70 hours required)

I've recently been looking into Warwick. The website states that 70 hours of work placement must be undertaken over the course of a minimum of 2 placements however, all my work experience has been from one hospital. Would this suffice? I tried emailing them but they weren't helpful and just said "we can't advise due to a high volume of queries"

Hey, so not trying to burst your bubble, but I was in a very similar situation to you last year with a UCAT score of 2680 B1 and a 1st prediction in Biomedical Science, I was not able to get any interviews at Warwick, Queen Mary, Southampton or KCL some of which I assume will be your other choices. People who got interviews for Warwick last year had a UCAT of minimum 2700 I think not to say the threshold won't be lower this year, but looking at the interim scores it might be another high scoring cohort. I am applying this year again as a graduate but something I wish I had known last year is that a few 5 year courses at a few unis will accept you without looking at your A levels if you have a degree/have a prediction. It might be worth looking at these instead or reapplying with a better score in the next cycle, or taking a different entrance exam such as the GAMSAT. Hope this helps and good luck with your application :smile:.
Original post by spv
Is anyone aware or has any idea of a score of 2690 Band 2, as a dental graduate being acceptable for Warwick, or would my low UCAT knock me out?

Cut off was 2720 for 2021 entry, not sure it will drop much for this year....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending