The Student Room Group

Have i failed grade 5 piano?

I think i just failed my grade 5 piano exam.
I had to restart one of the pieces and idk how the sight reading and aural went but my other pieces were fine and scales were ok. Am i going to fail?
Reply 1
Well, in the last ABRSM piano exam I did (December 2019- haven't been able to do any for 2020 :frown:), I was really panicky in general because I had just had a Year 11 mock at school and had to run back ASAP to do another mock immediately after the piano exam, so when I started I was really on edge. I slipped a little on a scale, accidentally played the perfect cadence for my second piece far too early in the first phrase instead of the second (so I had to restart the piece), broke down into tears during my sight reading so he had to give me an easier one that I still messed that up and, because I'd been crying, my singing in the aural was so wobbly and I was barely paying attention to the questions on the pieces so I guessed some of the answers.

And I still came out with a merit lmao, and was really close to a distinction.

I guess piano exams are quite easy to pass but hard to achieve very high marks in. I'm pretty sure that virtually nobody gets full marks. Hopefully you'll be fine if you're just aiming to pass- maybe you'll surprise yourself like I did after that horror show of an exam. :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Ty thats really helpful. Well done btw I have been having alevel mocks aswell so i was really stressed out. Hopefully i will get at least a pass 🤗

Quick Reply

Latest