?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Important info:
- My citizenship: Italian
- 27 years old
- I am living in the UK since March 2018
- I acquired the pre-settled status
- I am currently working

I hold a Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, acquired abroad in 2015. However, I have not recognised and verified my degree/qualification in the UK. Therefore, I do not work as an engineer in the UK.

I am considering to start an undergraduate Architecture course (BA) in September 2021 in the UK. However, after some research, I found out that if you already hold one degree, you are not eligible to get a loan (Tuition Fee and Maintenance) and from Student Finance England. I felt frustrated as I would like to study again.

According to RIBA (Royal Institute of British Architects), some exceptions are made for ELQ (Equivalent or Lower Qualification) students studying architecture.

"...You may be classed as an ELQ student if you already hold a degree but wish to study architecture on a full-time basis. The Education (Student Support) Regulations permit you to apply for a maintenance loan during both your Part 1 and Part 2 studies."
Source: [/i]

Despite still not being eligible for the Tuition Fee Loan, I should be able to apply for the Maintenance Loan if I was living in the UK for at least 5 years which, sadly, that is not my case. However, if you are an EEA or Swiss national who is living and working in England for at least 3 years before the start of your course, you could get the student finance as a Migrant Worker.

Another question is about Home Fees. Due to Brexit scenario, I was wondering if EU students with pre-settled status would still be eligible to get Home Fee from September 2021/22. So I have found the below statement at GOV.UK published 23 June 2020:

"...It will not affect students starting courses in academic year 2020/21, nor those EU, other EEA and Swiss nationals benefitting from Citizens’ Rights under the EU Withdrawal Agreement"
Source: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/s...ort-in-england

The statement by the Minister of State for Universities isn't very clear about the academic year 2021/22. Thus, I went after more information and found the following publication posted 4 November 2020:

"The UK Universities minister has clarified that EU, other EEA and Swiss nationals with settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme will have access to home fee status and student financial support in England during 2021/22."

My only goal with this post is to clarify my situation before I even start the process of applying to a university through the UCAS platform.

I have called Student Finance England a few times, however, each employee tells me a different story.

Questions:

- Could any SFE representant go through the points raised above and verify if there is any wrong information, please?

- As a Migrant Worker, do I have any chance to get a loan for Tuition Fee as well? Or just Maintenance Loan as mentioned below?

- What do you suggest in my situation?
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Rigolon)
Important info:
- 27 years old
- I am currently working

I hold a Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, acquired abroad in 2015. However, I have not recognised and verified my degree/qualification in the UK. Therefore, I do not work as an engineer in the UK.

I am considering to start an undergraduate Architecture course (BA) in September 2021 in the UK. However, after some research, I found out that if you already hold one degree, you are not eligible to get a loan (Tuition Fee and Maintenance) and from Student Finance England. I felt frustrated as I would like to study again.

According to RIBA (Royal Institute of British Architects), some exceptions are made for ELQ (Equivalent or Lower Qualification) students studying architecture.

"...You may be classed as an ELQ student if you already hold a degree but wish to study architecture on a full-time basis. The Education (Student Support) Regulations permit you to apply for a maintenance loan during both your Part 1 and Part 2 studies."

Despite still not being eligible for the Tuition Fee Loan, I should be able to apply for the Maintenance Loan if I was living in the UK for at least 5 years which, sadly, that is not my case. However, if you are an EEA or Swiss national who is living and working in England for at least 3 years before the start of your course, you could get the student finance as a Migrant Worker.

Another question is about Home Fees. Due to Brexit scenario, I was wondering if EU students with pre-settled status would still be eligible to get Home Fee from September 2021/22. So I have found the below statement at GOV.UK published 23 June 2020:

"...It will not affect students starting courses in academic year 2020/21, nor those EU, other EEA and Swiss nationals benefitting from Citizens’ Rights under the EU Withdrawal Agreement"

The statement by the Minister of State for Universities isn't very clear about the academic year 2021/22. Thus, I went after more information and found the following publication posted 4 November 2020:

"The UK Universities minister has clarified that EU, other EEA and Swiss nationals with settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme will have access to home fee status and student financial support in England during 2021/22."

My only goal with this post is to clarify my situation before I even start the process of applying to a university through the UCAS platform.

I have called Student Finance England a few times, however, each employee tells me a different story.

Questions:

- Could any SFE representant go through the points raised above and verify if there is any wrong information, please?

- As a Migrant Worker, do I have any chance to get a loan for Tuition Fee as well? Or just Maintenance Loan as mentioned below?

Hi there, our regulations for the 2021/22 academic year have not been released yet, however the government has released information regarding eligibility for new EU students who are starting university in the 2021/22 academic year. You can read this information here http://ow.ly/S3Ty30qSFeW

We are unable to advise you of your eligibility for the 21/22 academic year just yet but if you contact us again early next year around February then we should be able to fully advise on eligibility. There is no Migrant Worker funding for new applicants next year.
Thanks, Isaac
Rigolon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Hi Isaac,

Isn't February too late to apply for uni through UCAS? I wouldn't apply for any course before checking my eligibility for funding.
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi Isaac,

Isn't February too late to apply for uni through UCAS? I wouldn't apply for any course before checking my eligibility for funding.
Good morning, I think UCAS has a January deadline but I'm not sure as we are not linked with UCAS. You can contact UCAS to check this.

The eligibility criteria has now been released by the government, you can view this here https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-academic-year

Students with pre settled status are eligible as you can see on page 5.
Thanks, Isaac
Rigolon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Hi Isaac.

Thank you for sharing the eligibility criteria for Pre settled status.

Could you help me with my other questions above, please?
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Important info:
- 27 years old
- I am currently working

Questions:

Hi Isaac.

Thank you for sharing the eligibility criteria for Pre settled status.

Could you help me with my other questions above, please?
Good morning, I will answer your questions in order.

1. Our guidance for Architecture RIBA part 1 states
"Architecture is classed as an exception course which means students who currently hold an ELQ are eligible to receive the Maintenance Loan and any supplementary grants if they are studying full time. The previous study calculation will be applied where no qualification was gained."

This means you won't be entitled to a Tuition Fee Loan. With pre settled status (as long as you meet the eligibility criteria in the link I provided) you should be able to apply for a Maintenance Loan.

2. No, you won't be eligible to apply as a Migrant Worker. You can apply as a home student with pre settled status.

3. You will need to self fund the tuition fee if you wish to study this course. Your Maintenance Loan is there to help you with your studies but if you struggle with living costs and funding the course then I suggest speaking with your university as they will be able to provide advice on what you can do with funding the course.

Thanks, Isaac
Deppy
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hello, my name is Des. I live in the UK since September of 2016.I have applied for my 2nd year (I am studying nursing) as a home student with pre-settle status. Last year I was not eligible for the maintenance loan as I haven't been in the country for 5 years or more, therefore, I had to keep working. In September of 2021, I will have the settle status and was wondering if I am eligible for maintenance loan due to year 2 being more demanding.
Shaun SFE
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Deppy)
Hello, my name is Des. I live in the UK since September of 2016.I have applied for my 2nd year (I am studying nursing) as a home student with pre-settle status. Last year I was not eligible for the maintenance loan as I haven't been in the country for 5 years or more, therefore, I had to keep working. In September of 2021, I will have the settle status and was wondering if I am eligible for maintenance loan due to year 2 being more demanding.
Good Morning Des,

You will be able to apply for the Maintenance Loan funding once you have settled status. This can be done via the PN1 application form here > https://media.slc.co.uk/sfe/2122/ft/...orm_2122_o.pdf

Warm Regards,

Shaun.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (367)
84.17%
No (69)
15.83%

Watched Threads