The Student Room Group

Not sure if I want a psychology or a nueroscience degree (UK) .

I am a yr 13 student studying maths,physics and biology at A level. I'm not sure if I want to study psychology or nueroscience (I'm leaning towards nueroscience), but I would like your opinion on it, so I'll just list why I would wanna study each subject and the downside for me, then you can make a decision.

Psychology:

Pros: Ik this sounds weird but I really love interacting with kids and I would probably become a teacher anyway. (I think this is irrelevant) but I would like to be an amazing father and obviously psychology isn't a parent guide, but it would be cool to understand human behiour. Also the content seems really interesting.

Downsides - Although the content is interesting, I HATE remembering names and dates for example I would like to know the different types of conformity (and not memorise the reasearcher that suggested those types). Another problem is that I really can't write essays. I've studiesd sociology GCSE and I hated it purly down to the fact that I can't write essays (or at least I find it really difficult).

Nueroscience:

Pros: I would like to study nueroscience cos I'm quiet good at the nervous coordination topic (from A-level bio). And I kinda like it, it's not too bad. Also, I would say I'm more 'scientifically minded', so I would probably do better at the course. I really enjoy A level bio . And like I said, I don't hate nueroscience (I kinda like it acc.)

Downsides: I would rather spend my time tutoring kids or something like that, not be in a lab and study the brain. I'm scared that I would end up doing something I hate if I chose nueroscience. I am also scared that I just wouldn't find the point of studying nueroscience anymore.

If psychology wasn't an essay based subject and I didn't have to remember so many researcher's names and dates, I would pick psychology 100%

Obviously, this is a psychology forum (so there would be some bias), but you could think of it as the biological side of psychology vs the social side of it.
Original post by muhammad0112
I am a yr 13 student studying maths,physics and biology at A level. I'm not sure if I want to study psychology or nueroscience (I'm leaning towards nueroscience), but I would like your opinion on it, so I'll just list why I would wanna study each subject and the downside for me, then you can make a decision.

Psychology:

Pros: Ik this sounds weird but I really love interacting with kids and I would probably become a teacher anyway. (I think this is irrelevant) but I would like to be an amazing father and obviously psychology isn't a parent guide, but it would be cool to understand human behiour. Also the content seems really interesting.

Downsides - Although the content is interesting, I HATE remembering names and dates for example I would like to know the different types of conformity (and not memorise the reasearcher that suggested those types). Another problem is that I really can't write essays. I've studiesd sociology GCSE and I hated it purly down to the fact that I can't write essays (or at least I find it really difficult).

Nueroscience:

Pros: I would like to study nueroscience cos I'm quiet good at the nervous coordination topic (from A-level bio). And I kinda like it, it's not too bad. Also, I would say I'm more 'scientifically minded', so I would probably do better at the course. I really enjoy A level bio . And like I said, I don't hate nueroscience (I kinda like it acc.)

Downsides: I would rather spend my time tutoring kids or something like that, not be in a lab and study the brain. I'm scared that I would end up doing something I hate if I chose nueroscience. I am also scared that I just wouldn't find the point of studying nueroscience anymore.

If psychology wasn't an essay based subject and I didn't have to remember so many researcher's names and dates, I would pick psychology 100%

Obviously, this is a psychology forum (so there would be some bias), but you could think of it as the biological side of psychology vs the social side of it.

Hi there :smile: It sounds like you've already put a lot of thought into what you'd like to study which is great! Narrowing down your field of study can be a really difficult decision - but every course is different depending on the university you study at, have you thought about where you would like to go? It's really worth taking the time to read up on the subjects that interest you at the universities you're considering - it's likely that the module, exam/course work structure might surprise you. We'd also recommend talking to current students if you can - in both Psychology and Nueroscience fields to get a better idea of the courses (even better if you can talk to a student studying the subject at a university you're interested in). Good luck! :smile:
Original post by muhammad0112

Psychology:

Nueroscience:

Hi there,

It is great to hear that you have narrowed it down to a couple subjects that you are most interested in, some people find that the most difficult part. When it comes to deciding what you want to study at university, you need to make sure it is something that greatly interests and would be something you would actively be interested in for at least 3 years. Some negative points are eventually going to lead to you despising the subject.

Really think about which one you would most prefer to be studying and learning about. You could look into potential universities that provide courses in either neuroscience or psychology and read over the different modules, see what gets you excited the most. This would be a good indicator for you as to which subject you are most interested in. There is also the option of doing a joint degree, as well as looking into neuropsychology perhaps? This may balance out the cons you have!

I personally am interested in both subjects that you have described but I chose to go down the psychology route as I felt more interested in it at the time of deciding my degree. I have slightly changed my views now and am looking to go down the cognitive neuroscience route for my masters - incorporating both subjects. Psychology would be great to help you understand human behaviour in a lot more depth, especially if you are interested in becoming a teacher! It can be very heavy on learning different researchers and theories, however, a lot of the time it's not necessarily about remembering but more about taking a lot of notes to utilise in your assignments. You will have to really consider both, especially as many subjects are going to involve writing essays no matter what you choose.

Toni,
Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest