applying to University of Bristol vs University of Leeds (BSc International Business)

Watch this thread
AlessandroL1233u
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Im undecided whether to do International Business and Finance in Leeds BSc or International Business BSc in Bristol, is there a big difference between both or is it minor? My goal is just to get really good grades and progress into a really competitive business course for my masters like Oxford, LSE, Cambridge or LBS. In that sense, the course at Leeds looks more demanding and I'm afraid that going into that course would lead to lower grades than what I could get at Bristol. In the case of Bristol the specific management department isnt ranked as highly as Leeds on International rankings but what ive heard is that Bristol has a much better reputation in England as a uni than Leeds.
Last edited by AlessandroL1233u; 1 year ago
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
I think both bachelor options would be fine, I’ve personally only been to the Leeds business campus, a converted church. My friend is doing that course, it is sensible & rational, not excessive. He was simply told on day 1 that he had to get a job whilst at Leeds, as failure to work in the real economy would be an automatic fail for the degree. He’s been able to choose modules that interest him, and he’s now writing his dissertation on an aspect of the film-industry that really motivates him.

Don’t worry.
Hey_Julie
Badges: 14
Report 1 year ago
If you want to do a masters at Oxford, LSE, Cambridge or LBS, you are much better off going to Bristol as it is ranked higher than Leeds. Also nobody cares about international rankings of these unis unless you want to work or study outside the UK. Since you want to study in the UK, follow the UK rankings which show that Bristol is better than Leeds. However, even if rankings are important, make sure you go to the uni you genuinely like better.
lostgirl93
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by J.swift)
If you want to do a masters at Oxford, LSE, Cambridge or LBS, you are much better off going to Bristol as it is ranked higher than Leeds. Also nobody cares about international rankings of these unis unless you want to work or study outside the UK. Since you want to study in the UK, follow the UK rankings which show that Bristol is better than Leeds. However, even if rankings are important, make sure you go to the uni you genuinely like better.
I’ve got the same problem but in my case I’d like to do masters in Germany and preferably work there too. Leeds Business School might have an edge over Bristol School of Management but sth tells me that international employers would look at the overall rankings (if any) where Bristol is superior rather than subject rankings where Leeds is superior. Bristol city might be more popular than Leeds too. But idk, do you think that the prestige and league tables still matter? I’m asking coz I’m international too. And do you think that employers care where you studied undergrad if you went on to do masters at LSE or Oxford?
SimonStyles
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by AlessandroL1233u)
Im undecided whether to do International Business and Finance in Leeds BSc or International Business BSc in Bristol, is there a big difference between both or is it minor? My goal is just to get really good grades and progress into a really competitive business course for my masters like Oxford, LSE, Cambridge or LBS. In that sense, the course at Leeds looks more demanding and I'm afraid that going into that course would lead to lower grades than what I could get at Bristol. In the case of Bristol the specific management department isnt ranked as highly as Leeds on International rankings but what ive heard is that Bristol has a much better reputation in England as a uni than Leeds.
I am also an international student and I'm in the same boat! Bristol reputation is higher than Leeds in the UK and internationally. I think the employers will only look for the university which has higher reputation. And Leeds is easy to get into while Bristol isn't easy coz I see so many ppl with AAA got rejected and they don't even know the reason while ppl with grade AAB got into the Leeds for AAA course. On the other hand, Leeds biz school is better than Bristol and some ppl suggest that rankings doesn't matter. If I were you, I would choose Bristol as Bristol is famous for its employability and ranked on the same level with Manchester, Edinburgh and so on. And Oxford rejects go to Bristol.
Last edited by SimonStyles; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (15)
28.3%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
41.51%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.77%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.66%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
7.55%
I’m starting to consider my university options (6)
11.32%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.89%

Watched Threads