Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing my A2 English Lit coursework on 'Nights at the Circus' by Angela Carter and 'Sexing the Cherry' by Jeanette Winterson.

I've been told that I need to include more discussion on the form of the novels, but when I asked my English teacher to define 'form' she couldn't. I've always found it to be a bit of a hazy area to write about.

Can anyone help me out?
    (If anyone happens to have read either of the books and can explain in relation to them it'd be great.)

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm... "Form..."

I would define it as how the author has stuck to/deviated from typical archetypes and genres you would expect them to gain inspitation from.

ReputationRep:
    Form is the way the text is presented eg. a letter and newspaper or poem, I think.

I'm not sure though, so please don't flame me :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DavyS)
    Hmmm... "Form..."

I would define it as how the author has stuck to/deviated from typical archetypes and genres you would expect them to gain inspitation from.
    So things like post-modernism would count as form?

Yeah, I know it's like novel, poem etc. but apparently theres more to it than that...just my teacher can't phrase it.

Thank you for the help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustRach)
    So things like post-modernism would count as form?
    Ah, I was always taught "novel, poem etc." is a structure.

I think we're trying to define two different things. You are asking what is a form? and I am answering how does one analyse from a formalistic point of view?

I wouldn't say post-modernism is a form, but I would argue that analysing in what ways a text has used/avoided post-modernist influences regarding the way something is written is an analysis based on form.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.