Out of curiosity, is it possible to apply for a pupilage (not a mini) pre GDL?

Watch
workingalways
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Out of curiosity, is it possible to apply for a pupilage (not a mini) pre GDL?
seraphinale
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
yes yes it is
workingalways
Rep:
?
(Original post by seraphinale)
yes yes it is
So chambers will pay for someone to take the GDL and BPTC even if they haven't studied law? Surely this is quite rare? Could you provide a source?
Last edited by workingalways; 8 months ago
workingalways
Rep:
?
bump. surely its really rare to have a chambers pay for your GDL?
IdiotSandwich69
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by workingalways)
bump. surely its really rare to have a chambers pay for your GDL?
Why would Chambers pay for your gdl?
Crazy Jamie
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
So chambers will pay for someone to take the GDL and BPTC even if they haven't studied law? Surely this is quite rare? Could you provide a source?
I think you've wrongly assumed that sets will generally pay for your BPTC in the same way that firms will often pay for the LPC. That's an unusual situation. What you do find is that sets with higher pupillage awards will allow a certain amount of the award to be drawn down the year before pupillage, which could certainly be used to pay for the BPTC, either in part or in full. But there's two points to be made about that. The first is that it's not separate funding for the BPTC; it's just an advanced payment of money you would receive anyway. So it's not really funding the BPTC at all, rather it's you choosing to spend money on the BPTC that you would be receiving anyway. The second is that where sets do allow an award to be drawn down in advance, I've never known it to be allowed more than one year in advance.

Going back to the original question, you can apply for pupillages before you do the GDL. However, you would need to find a set either that is recruiting two years in advance (so for September/October 2023 start if you're talking about the current pupillage round), or a set that is willing to defer a pupillage that would otherwise start in 2022. There are currently no pupillages advertised that I can see to start in Sep/Oct 2023, and whilst deferring is certainly possible, I expect most sets would be reluctant to do it when the effect would be that you don't join them for over two years after the offer has been made.

So you can apply before the GDL, but I think in practice you may struggle. What would make more sense is to apply during your GDL year. That's the point at which you may still struggle to get a pupillage offer for a host of reasons, but you can at least tick some of the boxes that you need and can be competitive to a degree. There are always some applicants who are offered pupillage prior to the starting the BPTC, and you may be fortunate enough to be one of those if you apply during your GDL, but even if you're not, applying at that stage can at least give you some experience of the process prior to making applications during your BPTC year.
workingalways
Rep:
?
(Original post by Crazy Jamie)
I think you've wrongly assumed that sets will generally pay for your BPTC in the same way that firms will often pay for the LPC. That's an unusual situation. What you do find is that sets with higher pupillage awards will allow a certain amount of the award to be drawn down the year before pupillage, which could certainly be used to pay for the BPTC, either in part or in full. But there's two points to be made about that. The first is that it's not separate funding for the BPTC; it's just an advanced payment of money you would receive anyway. So it's not really funding the BPTC at all, rather it's you choosing to spend money on the BPTC that you would be receiving anyway. The second is that where sets do allow an award to be drawn down in advance, I've never known it to be allowed more than one year in advance.

Going back to the original question, you can apply for pupillages before you do the GDL. However, you would need to find a set either that is recruiting two years in advance (so for September/October 2023 start if you're talking about the current pupillage round), or a set that is willing to defer a pupillage that would otherwise start in 2022. There are currently no pupillages advertised that I can see to start in Sep/Oct 2023, and whilst deferring is certainly possible, I expect most sets would be reluctant to do it when the effect would be that you don't join them for over two years after the offer has been made.

So you can apply before the GDL, but I think in practice you may struggle. What would make more sense is to apply during your GDL year. That's the point at which you may still struggle to get a pupillage offer for a host of reasons, but you can at least tick some of the boxes that you need and can be competitive to a degree. There are always some applicants who are offered pupillage prior to the starting the BPTC, and you may be fortunate enough to be one of those if you apply during your GDL, but even if you're not, applying at that stage can at least give you some experience of the process prior to making applications during your BPTC year.
That makes a lot of sense; I had quite a few errors in my understanding here so thanks for clearing that up. Someone was telling me that if I can't secure a pupilage before the GDL that I wouldn't have a chance of securing a pupilage during the GDL and that therefore I shouldn't do the GDL. I can now see that that person was incorrect in his advice.
workingalways
Rep:
?
(Original post by IdiotSandwich69)
Why would Chambers pay for your gdl?
Sorry, was misinformed here + lack of sleep
Crazy Jamie
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
That makes a lot of sense; I had quite a few errors in my understanding here so thanks for clearing that up. Someone was telling me that if I can't secure a pupilage before the GDL that I wouldn't have a chance of securing a pupilage during the GDL and that therefore I shouldn't do the GDL. I can now see that that person was incorrect in his advice.
Yes, that person was indeed quite wrong in what they were saying. There is a school of thought that says you shouldn't do the Bar course unless you have secured pupillage, but only a minority secure pupillage before the Bar course, and to my mind that approach is too risk averse. If you have made an assessment of your own position, skills and application and consider that you have a realistic prospect of obtaining pupillage, I think most could consider doing the Bar course do be a risk worth taking even if you haven't secured pupillage by that time.
workingalways
Rep:
?
(Original post by Crazy Jamie)
Yes, that person was indeed quite wrong in what they were saying. There is a school of thought that says you shouldn't do the Bar course unless you have secured pupillage, but only a minority secure pupillage before the Bar course, and to my mind that approach is too risk averse. If you have made an assessment of your own position, skills and application and consider that you have a realistic prospect of obtaining pupillage, I think most could consider doing the Bar course do be a risk worth taking even if you haven't secured pupillage by that time.
That person was even more extreme in that he was stating that I should gain pupilage before undertaking the GDL!
Last edited by workingalways; 8 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (5)
3.85%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (22)
16.92%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (23)
17.69%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (17)
13.08%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (39)
30%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
18.46%

Watched Threads