The Student Room Group
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I'm coming to the Friday open day, I'm currently already at Derby doing my foundation / access year and have a conditional for Motorsport Technology starting in September, anyother Motorsport people on here? :smile:
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website
Reply 81
Hi, Please can i have more information on the student life. Are the nightclubs good? thanks
Reply 82
no

You have zazibar and revolution, thats about it.
I've found the nightlife pretty good actually. I'm not a big clubber in all honesty but there are about 5. Some big, like Zanzibar & Syn, and some smaller ones like Mosh & The Rockhouse.
There are The Assembly Rooms too. I have seen Michael McIntyre, Russel Howard & Ed Byrne there. So if you like you comedy or live shows, their prices are really reasonable. There are small local pubs too. My personal favourite is The Old Bell. Juke box & a pool table. What more could you want? Think of a town with everything you'd find in a city. That's Derby!
Reply 84
Arndreth
I'm going to be accepting an offer for Cmputer Games Programming starting in sept 09 - who else is doing the course? (bearing in mind i skipped to page 4) ^_^

Oh and the person who posted the applicant thing n the first page, the course is over-subscribed by 5:1, and i have unconditional :biggrin:

Woot i just got a conditional offer for computer games programing :biggrin:

most likely gunna pick this uni but anything could happen :fight: (cool smiley)
Heya, im a fresher at Derby doing american studies and history, if you want to as me any questions? I think that Derby is a great uni, you get lots of support and the tutors are all really approachable :smile:
Reply 86
Hello people :smile: I see that there are people from the uni here, so can anyone be helpful enough to give mi some answers please? :smile:
I already got my conditional offer from Derby for Media Studies degree but I haven't made my final decision. I really don't know what to do..I've read both good and bad things about it, but since I am not from the UK I can't go to an open day and see for myself. So anyone, is the uni good, anyone doing my course.. advantages/disadvantages..anything would be helpful :smile:
Hi Alany!
Here is a link to the uni website if you haven't looked at it already http://www.derby.ac.uk/media-studies-ba-hons
Also, i think it might be useful for you to know about the uni as a whole, not just the course.
Derby is a very diverse city, so the University prides itself on matching this diversity. We have a lot of students from different backgrounds here, and a lot are part of a Multi-Cultural Society. Current members are from countries such as Spain, Hungary, Scotland and China.
I'm sorry i couldn't give you more details about the course itself, but i hope the link helps.
what might be helpful is the news that the University has just bought its own theatre!
Reply 88
littlest-leoni
Hi Alany!
Here is a link to the uni website if you haven't looked at it already http://www.derby.ac.uk/media-studies-ba-hons
Also, i think it might be useful for you to know about the uni as a whole, not just the course.
Derby is a very diverse city, so the University prides itself on matching this diversity. We have a lot of students from different backgrounds here, and a lot are part of a Multi-Cultural Society. Current members are from countries such as Spain, Hungary, Scotland and China.
I'm sorry i couldn't give you more details about the course itself, but i hope the link helps.
what might be helpful is the news that the University has just bought its own theatre!

So glad it's staying as a theatre - I have missed my trips to the PH this last year!
Reply 89
Purple Haze
Heya, im a fresher at Derby doing american studies and history, if you want to as me any questions? I think that Derby is a great uni, you get lots of support and the tutors are all really approachable :smile:

Does anyone study biology? I haven't seena ynone on the forums yet and I'm going to be staring a joint honours this year, I'm a bit worried I won't have half of my honours to study with such short numbers!

I'm hoping everyone who is studying is hiding and will come out of hiding in time for uni!
Hi there Kslayer!
I am sure there will be more students, who perhaps aren't on this forum. Perhaps look at this link
http://www.derbyuni-forums.co.uk/phpBB3
You will still be able to do Biology no matter what. If you get accepted you'll do it. To reassure you, i was accepted under a mistake on Ucas & Derby were fantastic when they realised what had happened. They really bent over backwards to rectify other people's issues.
Reply 91
littlest-leoni
Hi there Kslayer!
I am sure there will be more students, who perhaps aren't on this forum. Perhaps look at this link
http://www.derbyuni-forums.co.uk/phpBB3
You will still be able to do Biology no matter what. If you get accepted you'll do it. To reassure you, i was accepted under a mistake on Ucas & Derby were fantastic when they realised what had happened. They really bent over backwards to rectify other people's issues.

Thanks Leoni, I am accepted and firmed my place. Its just I've not seen anyone so was a little anxious about it all! Thanks for your reply.

I've looked on the link and I'm the only when searching in the chat box who's mentioned sutdying that degree! Well only time will tell looking forward to checking the place out in April.

Take it easy.
Hi Guys!

Im Rebecca, a second year student at Derby studying Film and TV Studies. Im happy to answer any questions you have about the University, certain courses or general life in Derby :smile:

You can also go here - http://www.derbyuni-forums.co.uk/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=f906bca33433a0bf41b92898c8f46c3b to get to the official 09 applicants forum to find people on your course or in your halls of residence!

Rebecca :smile:
Reply 93
Hey i just got a message from derby uni saying i can now apply for halls!

Only thing is theres a £225 booking fee that i doubt ill have anytime soon

Are there any alternatives to paying this booking fee at a later date?

Like after you receive your student loan
reas11
Hey i just got a message from derby uni saying i can now apply for halls!

Only thing is theres a £225 booking fee that i doubt ill have anytime soon

Are there any alternatives to paying this booking fee at a later date?

Like after you receive your student loan

Hey there!

Im afraid there isn't an alternative to paying that fee! :frown: I know it can be a struggle to find, certainly was when I had to pay mine!
Sorry to have to be the bearer of bad news! Maybe you could borrow the money from a relative until you get your first loan installment?

Rebecca
Hi ive recently accepted an unconditional offer for Computer Game Programming, I was wondering if theres anyone here who is doing/has done the course and could give me some advice or details on how hard they found it?
Reply 96
Hey Godslayer, I am going to uni as well I'm from Somerset. I haven't done that course before as I am only starting in September!
Hope it goes well.
Nice to meet you kslayer where abouts in somerset? hopefully not brigwater that place is a bit of a dump =/ i heard they cant affrod window cleaners and get dogs to lick the glass instead, anyway hope you enjoy your course
Reply 98
Nah mate I live in BriDgwater. I hope you don't live in Cannington, now that place really is a dump. The only thing going for it is there are two exits one that leads to Bridgwater another to Minehead.

Anywho I may see you up there, but Sir in the process please don't be arrogant.
Tally ho pip pip
Ive got my conditional offer for Biology today woot ^^

Latest

Trending

Trending