Did you know the Organ Donation Law has changed?

Watch
Poll: Did you know that the law around organ donation changed to an opt-out system?
Yes (98)
86.73%
No (14)
12.39%
Not sure (1)
0.88%
This discussion is closed.
deadroseex
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by ruru06)
Did you not get your school injections
Nah I refused to do it so they just give me a letter to give to my parents to take me to the GP and my appointment to get all of them was like the day lockdown happened so lolz still haven’t got them
username402722
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 months ago
I think there should be more effort to make people aware of this. For example, when they register with a GP.
baby.bear
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
damn i didn’t realise so many people were against this?

once you’re dead, you’re dead. i wouldn’t need my organs as a corpse so they might as well go to someone who does need them?

im really unsure why people would be against it? am i missing something obvious? i get that everyone will feel differently and have their own views but i didn’t realise quite so many people didn’t like this idea??
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by baby.bear)
damn i didn’t realise so many people were against this?

once you’re dead, you’re dead. i wouldn’t need my organs as a corpse so they might as well go to someone who does need them?

im really unsure why people would be against it? am i missing something obvious? i get that everyone will feel differently and have their own views but i didn’t realise quite so many people didn’t like this idea??
If people wish to gift some or all of their body parts that is their decision and choosing to actively opt in to do so should be their right in life.
Whether they wish to gift their organs/tissue/other body parts to scientific research, for the anonymous donation to a stranger in medical need or to a specific person/charity/group.
Done through actively stating a desire to donate organs/body parts after death in their will, registering themselves as living donors of blood/bone marrow/anything else, registering themselves as posthumous organ donors through the dvla or their gp surgery.
But the law should not have been changed to presume automatic consent to take deceased people's organs unless the individual has opted out.
Doing so invites unpleasant comparisons with stealing valuables from corpses or grave robbing.

Imagine the reaction if the laws were changed to presume automatic consent to take cash charity donations or valuable items from living people unless the people all opted out.
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
I’d opted in previously and was aware of the change.

More than happy for them to take whatever they need from family/friends too. Couldn’t care less at that point. I agree that the individual should be able to opt out though.
username4986690
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
Imagine the reaction if the laws were changed to presume automatic consent to take cash charity donations or valuable items from living people unless the people all opted out.
You are comparing apples with bricks :facepalm2:
Anonymous #1
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by deadroseex)
Nah I refused to do it so they just give me a letter to give to my parents to take me to the GP and my appointment to get all of them was like the day lockdown happened so lolz still haven’t got them
you'll need them if you want to be a doctor
deadroseex
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
you'll need them if you want to be a doctor
I know that lmfaoo
I will obvs get them done, but no chance of me even getting into a hospital/clinic without at least a months wait. Just gonna wait a bit.

And why are you on anon??
BTSareLEGENDS
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
No thanks. I want my remains intact
username4986690
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by BTSareLEGENDS)
No thanks. I want my remains intact
Why?
baby.bear
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
If people wish to gift some or all of their body parts that is their decision and choosing to actively opt in to do so should be their right in life.
Whether they wish to gift their organs/tissue/other body parts to scientific research, for the anonymous donation to a stranger in medical need or to a specific person/charity/group.
Done through actively stating a desire to donate organs/body parts after death in their will, registering themselves as living donors of blood/bone marrow/anything else, registering themselves as posthumous organ donors through the dvla or their gp surgery.
But the law should not have been changed to presume automatic consent to take deceased people's organs unless the individual has opted out.
Doing so invites unpleasant comparisons with stealing valuables from corpses or grave robbing.

I never said that people were wrong for opting out? Plus it really isn’t a question that is asked of everyone you meet, therefore it’s doubtful that this “judgement” you talk about would be a big issue?

all I’m saying is you’re dead. why would you want the organs? surely it’s better to give them to someone in need?
hajima
Badges: 20
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
You are comparing apples with bricks :facepalm2:
PRSOM, this is a terrible false equivalence
BTSareLEGENDS
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
Why?
Buried in a casket is best
username4986690
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by BTSareLEGENDS)
Buried in a casket is best
That doesn't answer the question, why do you want your organs to rot with you when they could save someone's life?
Last edited by username4986690; 11 months ago
StriderHort
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
Yes. I'd also like to use my 3 votes to cancel out 2 'No' votes.
alex282
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
Heard of this a while back but wasn't sure if it was ture. Will have to look into opting out soon.
Bio 7
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
I thought it had changed a year or two ago? :hmmmm:
So did I. There was a thread about it and I remember londonmyst not liking it then either.
alex282
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
That doesn't answer the question, why do you want your organs to rot with you when they could save someone's life?
Look into Alan Watts, that could save someones life who is going to cause pain to other people or it could save someones life which contributes to lots of animals suffering dying. There are too many people on this planet and we can't change things at the end of the day. Every bad thing came from something with good intentions
Bio 7
Rep:
Report 11 months ago

It's not the same. Your money and such can be used by your family or whatever but your organs will just rot. This system means more people will be available to donate because most will approve or not care.

Being against it doesn't make much sense.
Last edited by Bio 7; 11 months ago
username4986690
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Bio 7)
So did I. There was a thread about it and I remember londonmyst not liking it then either.
This thread?
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6230690

(Original post by alex282)
Look into Alan Watts, that could save someones life who is going to cause pain to other people or it could save someones life which contributes to lots of animals suffering dying. There are too many people on this planet and we can't change things at the end of the day. Every bad thing came from something with good intentions
I'm really sure how a guy that drops acid is relevant, care you explain?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (18)
8.29%
Okay (64)
29.49%
A bit lacking (81)
37.33%
Not good at all (54)
24.88%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed