The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

is exeter uni nice?

i've applied to exeter for medicine but I've never been and i don't really even know what the place is like?
I was just wondering if anyone knows if its a nice uni/place

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, I did my undergraduate and postgraduate at Exeter, and have lived in Devon pretty much all my life. Personally I really like the city and university but it depends what you're looking for. It's a fairly quiet city compared to most other UK university cities, but that does make it fairly safe, though there are fewer options for going out. The shops are nice, but again, not as much choice as you might find in other cities. The university itself is very nice, lots of green areas, though that is more on Streatham campus. Medicine is on St Luke's campus, near the hospital (about a 2 minute walk from one hospital site and about 10 minute walk from the other site). It's a smaller campus because far fewer courses are taught there, it's set up as several buildings around a green area.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions, my postgrad was on St Luke's campus so I know it a bit.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Original post by ER141
Hi, I did my undergraduate and postgraduate at Exeter, and have lived in Devon pretty much all my life. Personally I really like the city and university but it depends what you're looking for. It's a fairly quiet city compared to most other UK university cities, but that does make it fairly safe, though there are fewer options for going out. The shops are nice, but again, not as much choice as you might find in other cities. The university itself is very nice, lots of green areas, though that is more on Streatham campus. Medicine is on St Luke's campus, near the hospital (about a 2 minute walk from one hospital site and about 10 minute walk from the other site). It's a smaller campus because far fewer courses are taught there, it's set up as several buildings around a green area.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions, my postgrad was on St Luke's campus so I know it a bit.

fab thank you! that all sounds really nice, I was just wondering if it was an interesting place to live or did you get tired of it quite quickly?
thanks
Original post by ER141

what course did you do? how is the teaching, are the lecturers supportive? can you get extra help if you need it? how are the people there? i heard stereotypes of people being posh and stuck up, is it true?
Reply 4
Original post by marnieeeee
fab thank you! that all sounds really nice, I was just wondering if it was an interesting place to live or did you get tired of it quite quickly?
thanks

I didn't get tired of it myself, but it does depend what you are looking for. Plenty of cafes and shops in the city centre, I would have said, plenty of places for walking, I think a fair few pubs and a few clubs. Also plenty of societies that do lots of events, so if you join a several societies you should always be able to find something to do
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
what course did you do? how is the teaching, are the lecturers supportive? can you get extra help if you need it? how are the people there? i heard stereotypes of people being posh and stuck up, is it true?

I did biosciences, I thought the lecturers were good, most of them are researchers who teach around their area of expertise, so they are generally pretty passionate about their subjects. You can always email lecturers if you don't understand something, though of course some are better at replying than others. The lecture material is all online so it's easy to re-watch the lectures if you missed something.

It's true that we do have that reputation here, and possibly on average we are more posh than quite a few other universities, but there are lots of people here, of all kinds of personalities. And I wouldn't say stuck up. A bit posh perhaps, but I personally didn't find people to be stuck up.
Original post by ER141
I did biosciences, I thought the lecturers were good, most of them are researchers who teach around their area of expertise, so they are generally pretty passionate about their subjects. You can always email lecturers if you don't understand something, though of course some are better at replying than others. The lecture material is all online so it's easy to re-watch the lectures if you missed something.

It's true that we do have that reputation here, and possibly on average we are more posh than quite a few other universities, but there are lots of people here, of all kinds of personalities. And I wouldn't say stuck up. A bit posh perhaps, but I personally didn't find people to be stuck up.

oh i'm applying to biological science too. did you enjoy the course? also are there any field trips apart from the optional coral reef one?
Reply 7
oh i'm applying to biological science too. did you enjoy the course? also are there any field trips apart from the optional coral reef one?

Yes, I really enjoyed it. I thought it was well-run, and because it is mostly lecture-based (other than practicals), it should be a fairly smooth transition to online teaching because of covid.
I believe there is one other optional one in third year to Wales, but other than that I don't believe so. I didn't go on either because I prefer microbiology to animal biology, so I didn't choose any animal/plant biology modules, which means I can't tell you anything about them other than my friend thought the coral reef trip was really good
Reply 8
Original post by ER141
I didn't get tired of it myself, but it does depend what you are looking for. Plenty of cafes and shops in the city centre, I would have said, plenty of places for walking, I think a fair few pubs and a few clubs. Also plenty of societies that do lots of events, so if you join a several societies you should always be able to find something to do

thank you for all your advice, it has been really helpful!
i've applied to exeter for medicine but I've never been and i don't really even know what the place is like?

It’s really good for medicine, for a start as the city is quite small getting medical work experience is easier than busier cities, perhaps. Also it has a lot of green areas and is not very busy though this also comes with the downfall of having less nightclubs, restaurants and shops. However there are beaches and bigger cities if you get a 30 minute train.(Bristol, Sidmouth, Plymouth, Bath)
Original post by Pineapple Plant
It’s really good for medicine, for a start as the city is quite small getting medical work experience is easier than busier cities, perhaps. Also it has a lot of green areas and is not very busy though this also comes with the downfall of having less nightclubs, restaurants and shops. However there are beaches and bigger cities if you get a 30 minute train.(Bristol, Sidmouth, Plymouth, Bath)

great, thank you!

Current student here - short answer, no.

No community feel. No societies. No sports clubs (you can pay to join, but then can’t play). No options to meet people. Overzealous security.

Just not a good life.
Current student here - short answer, no.

No community feel. No societies. No sports clubs (you can pay to join, but then can’t play). No options to meet people. Overzealous security.

Just not a good life.

oh no, is that just because of the pandemic?
Reply 13
Original post by ER141

Hey ER141, how far is St Luke campus from city centre?
What about part time jobs at st Luke campus?
Also if a student is staying off campus how much do you think it will cost?
Thanx!
Reply 14
Original post by Rajwant
Hey ER141, how far is St Luke campus from city centre?
What about part time jobs at st Luke campus?
Also if a student is staying off campus how much do you think it will cost?
Thanx!

It's about a 15 minute walk from st lukes to the city centre, not far. And there is a bus that goes from st lukes to streatham via the high street, so if you didn't want to walk then the bus is an alternative.

I think there are part time jobs, but I don't know anything about them I'm afraid.

In terms of living off campus, the cost massively depends on what sort of place you go for. My house in second year had decent sized rooms and 5 bathrooms between 6 of us, and we paid about 6k each for the year. Other places like printworks are good student places, no idea how much it costs but is easy to find out, and printworks is probably a 10 minute walk from st lukes. I think the university accommodation is fairly reasonably priced though, and it is probably more reliable than private accommodation as you have no idea what you landlord will be like before you move in. I think the students guild can help, they can do landlord checks or something, I'm not sure, I never used the service, but check their website and see what they offer.
Reply 15
oh no, is that just because of the pandemic?

Personally I would say it likely is because of the pandemic. There are plenty of societies, including sports ones, and I made good friends through societies when I was there. But I have graduated so I don't know about how it is at the moment in this academic year with lockdown.
Original post by ER141
Personally I would say it likely is because of the pandemic. There are plenty of societies, including sports ones, and I made good friends through societies when I was there. But I have graduated so I don't know about how it is at the moment in this academic year with lockdown.

Indeed - it’s an incredibly depressing and isolated time to be at university. No welcome programme, nothing. Would not recommend anyone goes until confirmed to be back to normal.
Reply 17
Original post by ER141
It's about a 15 minute walk from st lukes to the city centre, not far. And there is a bus that goes from st lukes to streatham via the high street, so if you didn't want to walk then the bus is an alternative.

I think there are part time jobs, but I don't know anything about them I'm afraid.

In terms of living off campus, the cost massively depends on what sort of place you go for. My house in second year had decent sized rooms and 5 bathrooms between 6 of us, and we paid about 6k each for the year. Other places like printworks are good student places, no idea how much it costs but is easy to find out, and printworks is probably a 10 minute walk from st lukes. I think the university accommodation is fairly reasonably priced though, and it is probably more reliable than private accommodation as you have no idea what you landlord will be like before you move in. I think the students guild can help, they can do landlord checks or something, I'm not sure, I never used the service, but check their website and see what they offer.

Appreciate your response thanx!
Indeed - it’s an incredibly depressing and isolated time to be at university. No welcome programme, nothing. Would not recommend anyone goes until confirmed to be back to normal.

thanks for your response, yeah I'm currently debating whether to go on a gap year or not
thanks for your response, yeah I'm currently debating whether to go on a gap year or not

I think the plan is as much a return to normal for next year - especially for medicine.

IMO (currently a third year - albeit not medicine - student who did a gap year...) gap years can be great. I worked during mine and it set me up for university so well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending