makeupgirl9
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
So I am currently in year 11, everyone in my year including me is doing only 5 GCSEs due to missed education, I am doing Maths, English, Combined science, History, Religious education and Citizenship. I've missed a lot of education in the past years of school, due to personal problems such as mental health, anxiety etc. I am feeling really scared about failing as I cannot fail due to the fact that when my sister had failed her exams my father had got her married back home to our cousin and I just want my parents to be really proud of me for once and I want to make my teachers who have supported me proud. Does anyone have any revision techniques, websites or advice other then past papers as I've gotten a few printed out to do. Anything will be much appreciated x
A.B72
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
physics and maths tutor is good for notes and practise papers (do lots of these, i know its boring but its so important). also definitely revise from the specification as that it what the exam will be based on and you need to get your wording right especially in sciences. flashcards are good for english and religious education and for science i would definitely recommend 'freesciencelessons' on youtube, he explains things really simply so they're easier to understand. i really hope you do well, i'll be rooting for you! xx
kajal12
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by makeupgirl9)
So I am currently in year 11, everyone in my year including me is doing only 5 GCSEs due to missed education, I am doing Maths, English, Combined science, History, Religious education and Citizenship. I've missed a lot of education in the past years of school, due to personal problems such as mental health, anxiety etc. I am feeling really scared about failing as I cannot fail due to the fact that when my sister had failed her exams my father had got her married back home to our cousin and I just want my parents to be really proud of me for once and I want to make my teachers who have supported me proud. Does anyone have any revision techniques, websites or advice other then past papers as I've gotten a few printed out to do. Anything will be much appreciated x
Seneca for literally any writing subject. Quizlet just type in your course and things should pop up. For maths try maths genie watch the videos too. Also, make flashcards but don't make them too detailed you won't learn. Science watch fee science lessons and actively make notes on things you'll forget. when you get comfortable try exam questions and check where your gaps are Relearn what you got wrong. English I suggest Seneca for the quotes and a little analysis. for language just try and watch videos of the best planning methods and remember what every question is asking. hope this helped
dank0209
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
i wish someone had told me this when I was doing gcses but I guarantee this will get you all 9's. don't write your own notes, just print notes from online, usually from physicsandmathstutor.com or just google like edexcel gcse biology blogspot notes and copy and paste them into word. memorise the notes and do all the practice questions u can find on physicsandmathstutor. then do all the past papers and write down ur mistakes and memorise the mistakes and ur notes. do past papers from the oldest ones first to the newest ones last and google the grade boundaries to check ur progress. that's all u need to do, good luck
cbaforausername_
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hey, firstly I want to say a lot of people are in a similar situation to you right now especially since the pandemic has taken away quite a bit of time, so you’re not alone! With making others proud, yes that’s valid, but try to do it for yourself. The situation with your father is another matter which probably needs addressing as you shouldn’t have to fear being married off due to bad grades.

I’m in year 13 but I did pretty well in my GCSEs, so I could try give you a few tips on what worked for me.

Maths
- I feel like the only way to progress in maths is to practice a LOT so yes that means past papers, the CGP book was useful for me too
- I made a calculations sheet with formulas and theorems that I needed to memorise and I found that helpful
- Reflect! Write down what your weakest concepts are from questions you’ve got wrong and focus your revision there - makes revising more effective

English & history & RE
- grouped these into one as the techniques are similar, it’s mainly just memorisation & applications
- post it notes for quotes on the wall (this was for poetry for me)
- flashcards for quotes or key dates/info and keep revising these
- I found mindmaps helpful in synthesising all the information for example a theme in Macbeth or a question for history (e.g. how did Hitler rise to power?)
- practice writing questions & essays and get your teachers to mark them

Combined science
- I did triple but these still apply
- CGP book exercises
- Seneca = free website, helpful for quick revision
- physics and maths tutor = free website, provides flashcards, past papers etc
- I used Anki flashcards (online) = spaced repetition

I didn’t do citizenship but I’m sure it’s similar techniques to RE, English and History.

General
- Ali Abdaal does good videos on revision techniques
- different techniques work for different subjects, try and find what works for you!
- revision timetables which are realistic will really help structure your time and revision
- take breaks you’re human not a machine!
- make use of interventions at school
- email or talk to your teachers if you’re struggling that’s what they are there for
- use the spec and mark schemes to guide your revision, this will help massively

Sorry this was VERY long but hope it helps. Good luck, I’m sure you’ll do amazing xx
Last edited by cbaforausername_; 9 months ago
makeupgirl9
Rep:
?
(Original post by A.B72)
physics and maths tutor is good for notes and practise papers (do lots of these, i know its boring but its so important). also definitely revise from the specification as that it what the exam will be based on and you need to get your wording right especially in sciences. flashcards are good for english and religious education and for science i would definitely recommend 'freesciencelessons' on youtube, he explains things really simply so they're easier to understand. i really hope you do well, i'll be rooting for you! xx
Thank you so much for replying, it means a lot xxx
makeupgirl9
Rep:
?
(Original post by dank0209)
i wish someone had told me this when I was doing gcses but I guarantee this will get you all 9's. don't write your own notes, just print notes from online, usually from physicsandmathstutor.com or just google like edexcel gcse biology blogspot notes and copy and paste them into word. memorise the notes and do all the practice questions u can find on physicsandmathstutor. then do all the past papers and write down ur mistakes and memorise the mistakes and ur notes. do past papers from the oldest ones first to the newest ones last and google the grade boundaries to check ur progress. that's all u need to do, good luck
Thank you so much for replying x
makeupgirl9
Rep:
?
(Original post by cbaforausername_)
Hey, firstly I want to say a lot of people are in a similar situation to you right now especially since the pandemic has taken away quite a bit of time, so you’re not alone! With making others proud, yes that’s valid, but try to do it for yourself. The situation with your father is another matter which probably needs addressing as you shouldn’t have to fear being married off due to bad grades.

I’m in year 13 but I did pretty well in my GCSEs, so I could try give you a few tips on what worked for me.

Maths
- I feel like the only way to progress in maths is to practice a LOT so yes that means past papers, the CGP book was useful for me too
- I made a calculations sheet with formulas and theorems that I needed to memorise and I found that helpful
- Reflect! Write down what your weakest concepts are from questions you’ve got wrong and focus your revision there - makes revising more effective

English & history & RE
- grouped these into one as the techniques are similar, it’s mainly just memorisation & applications
- post it notes for quotes on the wall (this was for poetry for me)
- flashcards for quotes or key dates/info and keep revising these
- I found mindmaps helpful in synthesising all the information for example a theme in Macbeth or a question for history (e.g. how did Hitler rise to power?)
- practice writing questions & essays and get your teachers to mark them

Combined science
- I did triple but these still apply
- CGP book exercises
- Seneca = free website, helpful for quick revision
- physics and maths tutor = free website, provides flashcards, past papers etc
- I used Anki flashcards (online) = spaced repetition

I didn’t do citizenship but I’m sure it’s similar techniques to RE, English and History.

General
- Ali Abdaal does good videos on revision techniques
- different techniques work for different subjects, try and find what works for you!
- revision timetables which are realistic will really help structure your time and revision
- take breaks you’re human not a machine!
- make use of interventions at school
- email or talk to your teachers if you’re struggling that’s what they are there for

Sorry this was VERY long but hope it helps. Good luck, I’m sure you’ll do amazing xx
Thank you so much! I am sure these techniques will help me so much! x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (3)
9.38%
I need help researching courses (2)
6.25%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
9.38%
I need help with my personal statement (15)
46.88%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (6)
18.75%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
3.13%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (2)
6.25%

Watched Threads