Insurance - Sex discrimination Watch

This discussion is closed.
fishpaste
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4142115.stm

A proposal which would have made car insurance more expensive for most women drivers in the UK has been dropped by the European Commission.
Insurance firms offer different rates for cover based on gender and, as male drivers commit 85% of serious motoring offences, women usually pay less.

The EU Gender Directive would have made insurers treat both sexes the same.

But a deal allowing insurance firms to take gender into account when setting charges has now been reached.
Why? Sexual discrimination is okay how?
psychic_satori
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)

Well, insurance companies are able to adjust rates based on statistics which assess the risk of a driver. Married people also get a better deal on car insurance, because married drivers have fewer accidents. I know, it sucks, but that's what we get for allowing mathematicians to roam the streets freely. Frankly, I think discrimination based upon marital status is a bit more unfair, but that might just be because I never want to be married, and I'm thereby relinquished to paying more for my insurance for the rest of my life.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by psychic_satori)
Well, insurance companies are able to adjust rates based on statistics which assess the risk of a driver. Married people also get a better deal on car insurance, because married drivers have fewer accidents. I know, it sucks, but that's what we get for allowing mathematicians to roam the streets freely.
LMAO that made me giggle.

I take it no insurance companies try and discriminate based on race?

"Diamond car insurance is created especially for white people. Diamond know that white people are usually safer drivers than black people, and are able to pass the savings onto you."
katiesado
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Insurance companies also offer lower rates for students with good grades. So I guess it's also discrimination against dumb people.
psychic_satori
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
My friend who is studying to be an actuary said that she's read that car insurance companies can also raise a person's rates based on whether he is considered to have hobbies which can be linked with wreckless behavior--like skateboarding or other extreme sports, boxing. My roommate's boyfriend saw his car insurance rates increase when he joined the army.
frost105
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by psychic_satori)
My friend who is studying to be an actuary said that she's read that car insurance companies can also raise a person's rates based on whether he is considered to have hobbies which can be linked with wreckless behavior--like skateboarding or other extreme sports, boxing. My roommate's boyfriend saw his car insurance rates increase when he joined the army.
What till the poor lad applies for life insurance!

At the end of the day of course insurance is polically incorrect but it gives people better deals at the end of the day. At the moment what will affect most people more on this forum is our much our age affects our car insurance.
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i cant get insured at the moment.

tried on my mums 1.3 ka..."we cant insure you until you're 25"

wow...thanks.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

That's not sexual discrimination. That's the insurance companies setting premiums based on statistical risk.

For the same reason younger drivers pay more; they are statistically far more likely to be involved in a accident. That doesn't make it an an ageist policy.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by katiesado)
Insurance companies also offer lower rates for students with good grades. So I guess it's also discrimination against dumb people.
Not really. It's just that the insurance industry has done it's homework and realized a correlation between students who make good grades and safe drivers.
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
the reason women get lower premiums is because women merely cause the accidents.

*runs away before getting flamed*
Kuddly!
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
the reason women get lower premiums is because women merely cause the accidents.

*runs away before getting flamed*

ACTUALLY MR timeofyourlife!

US women are generally slower drivers because we're more sensitive and actually dont speed of like silly bad boys pumpin their music like its the end of the world!

SO u best take ure words back NOW!
u geek! lol
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Kuddly!)
ACTUALLY MR timeofyourlife!

US women are generally slower drivers because we're more sensitive and actually dont speed of like silly bad boys pumpin their music like its the end of the world!

SO u best take ure words back NOW!
u geek! lol
all this from the person who posted this scientific conclusion...

(Original post by Kuddly!)
if humans have emotions - we're mammals right? that means we're like animals

then COURSE ALL animals have emotions!! you name it!! even fish!! but they just 4get easily!
thats why when we kill animals for food we're bringing suffereing upon a innocent soul! so its wrong.

Kuddly!
Report 14 years ago
LOL
oohhhh did i say men dont have emotions
i said MEn are not sensitive...dude theres a difference :P
but i like your quotes..........mmm very clever
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
That's not sexual discrimination. That's the insurance companies setting premiums based on statistical risk.

For the same reason younger drivers pay more; they are statistically far more likely to be involved in a accident. That doesn't make it an an ageist policy.
Who neg-repped me for this? Retard.
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Who neg-repped me for this? Retard.
by careful deduction i'm thinking it was a young driver..
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
by careful deduction i'm thinking it was a young driver..
I didn't think the purpose of repping was to neg rep someone for saying something that was obvious.

Here's another obvious thing......erm.......the Eiffel Tower is a tall structure in Paris, designed by Gustav Eiffel, and made of steel. Can I expect some bad rep for this too? :rolleyes:
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I didn't think the purpose of repping was to neg rep someone for saying something that was obvious.
i'm not saying otherwise. not getting protective of superficial rep gems now, are we?? :p:
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i'm not saying otherwise. not getting protective of superficial rep gems now, are we?? :p:
I always used to "poo poo" rep gems until I turned around and realized I'd accumulated quite a few of them. Now they are my children.
Douglas
Report 14 years ago
Interesting topic: I tend to believe in actuaries, especially if the statistics are applied fairly across the board. However, this doesn't seem to be the case in all applications.
For example, yes, woman in general are safer drivers. However, older people have slower reflexes, but are not penalized.

Smokers pay more for life insurance, but drinkers and heavely obese people do not.

These are two simple examples, but this kind of stuff goes on in numerous instances.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Douglas)
Interesting topic: I tend to believe in actuaries, especially if the statistics are applied fairly across the board. However, this doesn't seem to be the case in all applications.
For example, yes, woman in general are safer drivers. However, older people have slower reflexes, but are not penalized.

Smokers pay more for life insurance, but drinkers and heavely obese people do not.

These are two simple examples, but this kind of stuff goes on in numerous instances.
I suspect you may be wrong here. Last time I took out a life insurance policy I was asked to declare my height/weight, as well as how much I drink and smoke.

I suspect the reason that weight was asked was to increase the premiums for fatties.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (68)
19.43%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (144)
41.14%
Nope, not that interesting (138)
39.43%

Watched Threads