Charlie5683
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi all, I was wondering if someone could help me a little. I was looking into getting into getting funding for a second degree.

I currently hold a BSc Hons in psychology and would like to study Zoology as an undergraduate as I now wish to take a different path. Would that qualify for any funding at all?

Thanks! Charlie
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Funding for second degrees is only available for a narrow list of courses.

For zoology you would only be funded if you studied part time
Jess_Silver
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I'm in a similar position - also a BSc Psych grad! But now I'm wanting to do Nursing. The information isn't obvious is it?! But unfortunately I think I've read somewhere that there are only limited courses that you can get a second loan for, and they're healthcare related ones (for humans! I don't think zoology is included). And that it's for the course fees only - you don't get a maintenance loan. So I probably won't be able to do it either. Even if my course is paid for I won't have any money to live on.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Jess_Silver)
I'm in a similar position - also a BSc Psych grad! But now I'm wanting to do Nursing. The information isn't obvious is it?! But unfortunately I think I've read somewhere that there are only limited courses that you can get a second loan for, and they're healthcare related ones (for humans! I don't think zoology is included). And that it's for the course fees only - you don't get a maintenance loan. So I probably won't be able to do it either. Even if my course is paid for I won't have any money to live on.
Nursing is an exempt course. Funding for nursing as a second degree is full. That means tuition fee loan, living cost loan and the £5k bursary.

The online application for loans is a but glitchy for nursing second degrees so apply early when it opens in March and be prepared to fill in the paper application form if the online application stops you from applying.
Charlie5683
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Nursing is funded, it’s one of the only courses that’s well advertised on SFE And actually there’s also a list of non related health care courses that are included too available for STEM subjects. There are a few STEM subjects which are just also blurred rules about funding (such as zoology!)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (19)
7.54%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
15.08%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (45)
17.86%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (36)
14.29%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (67)
26.59%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.65%

Watched Threads