How does it work with parcels? (reps for good answers) Watch

Sithius
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I need my mum to send a couple of pairs of trousers for the gym but we currently don't have any mailboxes (they haven't been built, we're in new accommodation) but even if we did, how big are most uni mailboxes and what is the situation with parcels, generally speaking?

Thanks
Hygge
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Usually they have like a centre on campus where you go to collect your parcels...they'll let you know if you've got one via email or letter
miki_da_magpie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
At my first year uni accom, the reception kept it, and you have to sign for it there, no matter how big.
im so academic
Badges: 13
Report 10 years ago
Ask your uni what address your relatives can send you stuff and give that address to your mum,

or there should be an accommodation desk where they receive parcels and such so maybe your mum could send it there, and all you have to do is pick it up from that desk,

or go back home really quickly and get it,

buy some trousers from local shops in your uni city

ask your tutor or someone you know about parcels in uni,

basically just ASK SOMEONE IN THE UNI ABOUT IT!
Sithius
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Yeah, I'll be finding out tomorrow. I just am impatient and want an idea of what happens.
im so academic
Report 10 years ago
just don't worry as you'll get your parcel in the end.

though isn't it cheaper to just buy NEW ones?
Spotty Dog
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Our letterboxes are small - Nowhere near big enough for a parcel of any variety.

Packages = Name on the board in halls reception to collect them.
georgia
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
At my accommodation, the postie rings the doorbell and if someone from the flat is in then they sign for it. If nobody is in, as far as I'm aware, it gets taken to the Royal Mail sorting centre up a HUGE hill and you have to go get it.
*sparkles*
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've been wondering the same thing! Not with family parcels though, for mail order things like amazon etc.
Spotty Dog
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by georgia)
At my accommodation, the postie rings the doorbell and if someone from the flat is in then they sign for it. If nobody is in, as far as I'm aware, it gets taken to the Royal Mail sorting centre up a HUGE hill and you have to go get it.
Wow - This would be a real problem for us because our door buzzer has been ripped off the wall by a previous tenant. :p:
zmaricz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
in my case, each flat has a letter box and anything bigger than that either gets signed for at reception or back to the sorting office down the road.....
ZakBrannigan
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Sithius)
I need my mum to send a couple of pairs of trousers for the gym but we currently don't have any mailboxes (they haven't been built, we're in new accommodation) but even if we did, how big are most uni mailboxes and what is the situation with parcels, generally speaking?

Thanks
University halls of residences mailboxes arnt big enough for big parcels when i use to live in halls the said postie use to ring a bell and someone always answer it and usually sign on the behalf of the person the parcel was for.I did this a few times however if u dont have any mailboxes then they would be taken to a reception in the halls and then you would have to go and collect the item.Does your new accomodation have somewhere where they could drop these parcels off??
Teao the Cat
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well, obviously we can all only speak for our own uni's, but Lancaster has porters for every college, and all parcels and anything that looks important (including hand addressed envelopes, how sweet!) they hang on to, and put your name on a slip of paper oin a board- you take it to them, and they give you your parcel! The only thing that ever goes into the mail lockers is junk mail!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?