The Student Room Group

A-level Chemistry Study Group 2020-21

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 5hyl33n
Same! I’m hoping to do a Chemistry degree. What about you?

Medicine but my backup is Biochemistry
Original post by Ducky_MoMo
No I’m literally PRAYING that exams go ahead!!!!!!

But since the government is changing it’s mind at the flip of a hat I guess I’ll have to stay focused and try rlly hard on my mocks😭

As a medicine applicant, I think I can say we are all badly disadvantaged, if it were to come to another CAG u turn, with all of the stuff we have to do while trying to manage a levels, and mocks and exam results don’t reflect our true ability. I remember in my RE mock for GCSE, like month before the exam, I got like a 4 :redface:, but ended up getting a 9 in the real thing. This is just one of the reasons i would haaaaaaaaaaate it if there were no exams.

Anyways let’s just pray that this doesn’t happen.

It is likely they'll go ahead, but IMO mocks are supposed to be a learning process and counting them is so unfair, especially since different schools have different difficulty levels of mocks. Mine was extremely difficult, hence why I flopped😢. Anyways, I have my next set of mocks in March and I'm working hard for those! Good luck for your medicine application :smile:
Original post by hiiiii1
It is likely they'll go ahead, but IMO mocks are supposed to be a learning process and counting them is so unfair, especially since different schools have different difficulty levels of mocks. Mine was extremely difficult, hence why I flopped😢. Anyways, I have my next set of mocks in March and I'm working hard for those! Good luck for your medicine application :smile:

U too hopefully we all get the grades we need!!!! :smile:
Original post by arooshamd
Oh hii , we should make a snap group chat

Group chats of any kind is not permitted on TSR. This thread is like the same thing. The only difference is, is that the app is rubbish!
Ahh I got a D as well in my year 12 mock😂but somehow ended up with a B in my most recent one.
Ooh well done those are actually good grades knowing that we still have six months to go.
Have you been doing past papers? They really help. Have a look at this website, this is for OCR A: https://www.cherryhilltuition.com/chemistry-a-level-ocr-a

But make sure you know the content, then when you’re ready to do them, do as many as you can, any question you get wrong, write down the correct answer and go over it again
Original post by hiiiii1
We can use this thread to also help each other out if we are stuck on any question:h:
Also is it just me that wants exams to BADLY go ahead? I fully flopped my December mocks and I know I still have six months to improve, but if A-levels don't happen then my teachers won't do me justice🤧
I got B in chem somehow aha but flopped biology.

I also hope our exams go ahead. Well done on the B!
Original post by 5hyl33n
I also hope our exams go ahead. Well done on the B!

Thank you!
ooooo thanks for the tag

What exam board are you taking?
OCR A

What's your favourite topic in the course so far?
pretty much everything tbh (I'm probably the only medic here who actually like chem lol)

And your least favourite topic?
organic practical techniques is another story. I'm sorry I don't want to know how to get a pure sample by filtering under pressure and doing some next TLC and NMR s***. probably more horrible topics will come up soon

What are you hoping to study at university?
Medicine
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by 5hyl33n
What exam board are you taking?
AQA
It's hard to pick just one! I like all the topics!
And your least favourite topic?
Reaction mechanisms
What are you hoping to study at university?
Chemistry!

how can you not like reaction mechanism:confused:
Original post by xsowmix

Ngl I acc like that stuff, probably one of the easier topics
Esp drawing the hexagons for benzene and stuff I find that addictive :redface:
Original post by xsowmix

I tend to forget them a lot if I don't revise it daily. :tongue:

:lol:

yeh I know what you mean. my teacher is always like for electrophilic substitution, the smile has to touch the shoulders guys cos apparently you can lose for not drawing that bit properly.

Original post by 5hyl33n
I tend to forget them a lot if I don't revise it daily. :tongue:

don't worry definitely a topic that comes with practice

Nothing?

This is a big mood🤣🤣
I’m going to try & make myself like it, i always start to like chemistry right at the end of the course, it’s weird :P
it sounds like all of yous are in year 13 and already applying to uni’s. I’m in year 12 so any tips? I’m predicted an A* but in my first vima I scraped a D (i’m embarrassed). Anyways, hopefully this holiday I’ll pick myself up and revise everything I’ve done so far.

How do you guys stay so motivated? Medicine is an option for me in the future (if i get the grades) but i’m unsure if I’ll be able to live through the 5 or more years. Like what if i’m not smart enough for that? Tbh, I want to do something psychology related but I’m kinda expected to pick medicine since i do bio and chem.
Thanks, and good luck in whatever exams you have
Original post by sumayaaa

How do you guys stay so motivated?

I just have days for each subject tbh. If I feel like revising chem then I do so, if not, then I don’t.
Lol.. and there was me thinking AS Chemistry would’ve been harder than year 13 🤡🤡

Quick Reply

Latest