Ali-liyyah
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hey guys! I hope you are well. Okay, we have mocks coming up in January (Yr 13) and I’m doing English Literature Spec A. Our WW1 play is Journey’s End, and I’m struggling with revising it. I know there’s obviously looking at past questions, but does anyone have any advice on effective note taking first? Should I focus on themes, scenes, characters or a bit of both? Also, what revision methods would you guys recommend? (apart from revision cards and flashcards as these don’t really work for me).

Thanks so much in advance! x
Purplemonkeys
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi!
Making mindmaps on themes, scenes and characters would probably prove quite usefuk to you in revision. I'd also recommend doing some practice essay questions to ensure that you'll nail your essay technique. Don't forget to research and revise context relating to the poetry, and also go over key poetic techniques-they tend to differ from prose techniques linguistically. Ultimately, it's about finding a form of revision that works for you. There's always YouTube videos, quizzing yourself, teaching it to others etc. Feel free to PM me or reply to my post for further help, and I'd be more than happy to give it.
Best of luck,
L x
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Make up brief lists of characters etc. Focus in detail on the themes of the play too. I also advice answering some practice questions in order to improve on your entire essay. Draft up a essay and see where improvements can be made effectively to beef up your literature essay. Research the set poem in question online and make brief notes too. Use blank flashcards to keep track of key terms etc as well. Find a way of revision that really works for you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (103)
5.13%
Uncertainty around my education (302)
15.04%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (213)
10.61%
Lack of purpose or motivation (279)
13.89%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (90)
4.48%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (114)
5.68%
Loneliness (175)
8.72%
Financial worries (72)
3.59%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (88)
4.38%
Exposure to negative news/social media (95)
4.73%
Lack of real life entertainment (110)
5.48%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (178)
8.86%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (189)
9.41%

Watched Threads