Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok, i'm just wondering really, but how are you funding it?!
    It's about £30,000 a year for Harvard, and I don't really know much about US universities, but say you did a 3 year course, that'd cost a lot. Are your parents lovely and offer to pay for it, or do you get out a loan (which I presume would be hell to pay back and do banks even loan out that much to students)? :o:
    I'm sorry if this is rude...curiosity killed the cat. :ninja:

I mean those not getting scholarhsips.

ReputationRep:
    Elite colleges like Harvard usually offer great financial aid to international students needing it. If the financial aid office deems you don't need aid, money probably isn't much of a issue for you anyway.

I suggest that you run some financial aid calculators to see how much you'd be expected to pay. Of course, these don't take into account the new financial aid policies that many of the top schools recently adopted.

http://www.finaid.org/calculators/quickefc.phtml
    http://www.finaid.org/calculators/finaidestimate.phtml

http://apps.collegeboard.com/fincalc/efc_welcome.jsp

http://www.princeton.edu/admission/f...aid/estimator/ (For Princeton only)

ReputationRep:
    You should also take into account that an undergrad degree from a US university will typically take 4 years.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, the problem is i fall in to a loophole of the whole thing, that is they assume that if someone remarries, their new partner will pay the college fees for the their partner's child.m so even though i would have been eligible if my mum hadnt got remarried im now going to have to find a way to get a loan.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies, I know it does get subsidised, but even so, it must still be expensive.
    Has anyone on TSR actually gone to a US uni from the UK?

ReputationRep:
    im sure some have.

my road just began, as i signed up for my first set of SATs in December, i figured i would give myself time to try at least twice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harryj0)
    im sure some have.

my road just began, as i signed up for my first set of SATs in December, i figured i would give myself time to try at least twice
    How does that give you time to try twice? The deadine is december for international applicants isn't it? I am in the same boat and I thought my results from the december test date would just get there in time but then I have the subject tests aswell which can't be taken on the same day...might have to apply next year.

ReputationRep:
    ah, but im in lower 6th

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mindy123)
    How does that give you time to try twice? The deadine is december for international applicants isn't it? I am in the same boat and I thought my results from the december test date would just get there in time but then I have the subject tests aswell which can't be taken on the same day...might have to apply next year.
    im in lower 6th

ReputationRep:
    ah, but im in lower 6th
    Hope i'm not being rude, but are you getting out a loan for it all? Or are your parents paying? Or applying for a scholarship? :o:

ReputationRep:
    well basically im getting different pieces of help.
    1) financial aid from uni, i should be looking at between $20k-30k at the bigger unis
    2) unis from loans; some of them dont discriminate against forgeign.
    3) loans; uk banks (little), and american banks (we will secure it against some friends in usa)
    4) scholarships (ill see if i can get any)
    5) my own money/income (the measley amounts i can contribute)
    6) my parents (my dad agreed to spend the amount needed in the uk. since usa is about 2.5 times as much, thats where the other ideas come in

i have found that the best

ReputationRep:
    well basically im getting different pieces of help.
    1) financial aid from uni, i should be looking at between $20k-30k at the bigger unis
    2) unis from loans; some of them dont discriminate against forgeign.
    3) loans; uk banks (little), and american banks (we will secure it against some friends in usa)
    4) scholarships (ill see if i can get any)
    5) my own money/income (the measley amounts i can contribute)
    6) my parents (my dad agreed to spend the amount needed in the uk. since usa is about 2.5 times as much, thats where the other ideas come in

i have found that the best
    Ahh I see. Well good luck, I certainly hope you get in. :yep:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 6, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.