Turn on thread page Beta

Filling in sixth form application form, are these a good mix of subjects? watch

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if there other threads like this.

I have said I would like to English literature, History, Maths, Further maths and philosophy + ethics.

Is this a good range of subjects to do or would you reccomend that I change one.

Thank you in advanced

ReputationRep:
    No, they're fine. There is nothing wrong with them. It's your choice whether you want to change one or not. It depends on what you want to do in the future. You can still change them if your unhappy with them later.

ReputationRep:
    what she said ^

p.s why you filling it in so late ?

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it a little early?
    But to answer your question they're great.

ReputationRep:
    The subjects are fine but we don't know if they are for you. If you enjoy the subjects and think you have a chance of doing well then go for it.

It also helps to know what you would like to do post 6th form.

ReputationRep:
    What do you want to study at University?

ReputationRep:
    Thats really similar to what I chose, except I'm doing German not Maths, but I was going to do Maths.

Good choices anyway, nice mix of subjects, assuming you don't want to do medicine or something it leaves most doors open for further career/university. And if you enjoy those subjects then definitely go for it!

ReputationRep:
    The sixth form I am applying to is massivly over subscribed so they start interviews for the year 11's in the school in October before the rest in January.

ReputationRep:
    That sounds like a good mix - I totally commend your choice of English Lit, History and Philosophy & Ethics! You've got a contrasting subject there with Maths so you've got some diversity. It gives you a good basis for whatever you want to study at university - English, History, Philosophy, Theology, Maths, Law, whatever, and they're all respected subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Depends entirely what you want to do.

5 'respected' options there. The three essay subjects seem ideal if you're hoping to go down that route, but maybe if you're looking at maths at university a science might complement better in room of one of the essay subjects.

Which is your passion?

ReputationRep:
    I've taken two sciences and two humanities, I'm enjoying it loads. Just do what you like, as long as you get good GCSEs the 6th form will probably take you (not knowing their entry criteria )

ReputationRep:
    yes OP: having one science isn't really useful if you want to go down a sciency route!!!??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jace Falco)
    I've taken two sciences and two humanities, I'm enjoying it loads. Just do what you like, as long as you get good GCSEs the 6th form will take you.

:ditto: :five:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsi101)
    :ditto: :five:
    What do you do? I do English Lit, Government and Politics, Psychology and Biology.

ReputationRep:
    OP, you want to study Economics and Maths right?

Therefore, i would suggest that you replace philosophy & ethics by either economics or physics.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to do anything sciencey in the future, you'll need another science, but if not, it's good, as long as you enjoy it blah blah blah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jace Falco)
    What do you do? I do English Lit, Government and Politics, Psychology and Biology.

ahh..do you count Psychology as a science ? hmm..i do Psychology too..but bio and chem and eng lit aswell. so iypov you'd say Im doing 3 sciences wouldn't you :p:

ReputationRep:
    Don't do 5 AS levels.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Malsi101)
    ahh..do you count Psychology as a science ? hmm..i do Psychology too..but bio and chem and eng lit aswell. so iypov you'd say Im doing 3 sciences wouldn't you :p:
    Some places classify Psychology as 'science'; my teacher believes it is a 'pre-science' :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    Some places classify Psychology as 'science'; my teacher believes it is a 'pre-science' :cool:

I know..some places but not all :rolleyes:

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.