Turn on thread page Beta

fight depression by myself? watch

Sorry if this sounds like a long rant. I've thought about writing this before but ended up not doing so but here goes...

I feel like its me against the world: no friends, just acquaintances; no real social life; not a family who i can have a laugh or a serious chat with; cousins who were close just intentionally/unintentionally really annoying me regarding my sexuality. Regarding the latter, at times I really think about telling them to just shut the f*** up but I don't as I respect them with them being older.

At times I seriously question whether life is worth living? These feelings have increased over time and I would say now I feel like this eighty percent of the time when I think about my life.

However, the other twenty percent accounts for the face that I have friends 'online' which makes me laugh at myself whether life's worth living just for this?

Is it possible to fight depression by myself? Trying to think back at the last time I received a decent hug, I guess I could do with one now.

Ah, at least I've got this of my chest! I bet you all think I'm a right loser.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you're a loser. I don't think it's possible (or at least, it'll be a lot harder) to overcome it by yourself though. I went through something similar on my own for about 4/5 months and it doesn't get easier because you just feel lonely all the time and constantly thinking negative thoughts. It only started getting better when I met some new friends and started to talk to/hang out with them regularly because it enabled me to think about something else rather than how unhappy I was.

I'll hug you!

Where are you at the moment? School? Uni?

ReputationRep:
    :hugs: awww im sorry to hear that you are feeling this way. No i dont think that you're a loser. I think you need to talk to someone..although online friends and having some form of communication is good. Tell them how you feel...maybe see your doctor if you feel there is no one else. But the main thing is that you need to let this out and talk to people about it. So you can do something about it.Ultimately you can really change things it will be a long gradual process but remember that you are the one who is really in control.

Feel free to PM me if you want

ReputationRep:
    Try going to the doc for some drugs, but be careful what he/she signs you up for, they're pretty heavy at times.

James

(Original post by awwsugar)
    I don't think you're a loser. I don't think it's possible (or at least, it'll be a lot harder) to overcome it by yourself though. I went through something similar on my own for about 4/5 months and it doesn't get easier because you just feel lonely all the time and constantly thinking negative thoughts. It only started getting better when I met some new friends and started to talk to/hang out with them regularly because it enabled me to think about something else rather than how unhappy I was.

I'll hug you!

Where are you at the moment? School? Uni?
    I'm about to return to Uni.

The thing is I don't feel lonely all the time: I can enjoy my own company at times but when I think about my life, quite often in bed, then I get down.

(Original post by free_the_mind)
    Feel free to PM me if you want
    Thanks for the offer. Maybe sometime.

(Original post by jamesmor1)
    Try going to the doc for some drugs, but be careful what he/she signs you up for, they're pretty heavy at times.

James
    I only really want to take medicine as a last resort. If so, is it quite easy to get anti-depressants from the GP or is it a long winded process?

ReputationRep:
    What about your life is making you unhappy?

Do you speak to anyone at university?

ive been ''fighting'' depression for 2 years now. i haven't been diagnosed but i know i would be if i went to the docs.

You can beat depression by yourself, although it is incredibly hard to do. I managed it once, but then fell back into the same traps and have since struggled.

Going to the doctor could help. They would offer you counselling before drugs probably. Or your uni will have a counselling service you could try.

ReputationRep:
    Ive been on anti depressants for two years. and been depressed longer. I dont think that you are a loser. Sometimes I find talking to online people online helps. For the mere fact that they dont really know you so you can say anything and usually you'll get an answer that you should find helpful. Sometimes not tho.

Family. All mine are really younger than me. about 5 years or so. I cant talk to them either. I have a grand total of 2 very very good friends, but thats it. Friends will come to you. They always do. I know it never helps when someone says it will get better. It really doesnt make you feel better.

I think its the fact that they dont really know what you are going through. I can to a point but its different to each person that suffers from it. Go to your doctor, he/she will make you do a little survey to see how depressed you are, and on that will prescribe you pills. But if you are bi polar they dont really work, but they stop you feeling sooo low. they generally perk you up a little.

I hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I only really want to take medicine as a last resort. If so, is it quite easy to get anti-depressants from the GP or is it a long winded process?
    If I were you I wouldn't consider it as a last resort, this 80% thing sounds like you're pretty serious.

They're easy to get from GPs as far as I know. Thing is, again, as far as I know, they are long term, can have horrible side-effects and take around 2 weeks for their true effect to be felt.

Your GP might recommend some preliminary therapy then would consider medication. As upset as you sound I'd head right down to the GP.

James

ReputationRep:
    P.M. me if you need to know more concerning the process

James

(Original post by puddlove)
    The family... well, I can't really help there. But the majority of people don't have a perfect family life. It's just something we have to deal with.
    Good point. Others may be more fortunate than me, but I guess I am more fortunate than some people.

(Original post by puddlove)
    I really can't see a reason for you to end your life. Everything you've mentioned can be addressed and dealt with, as long as you are willing to put in the time and effort. Try to stay strong and positive, and just remember that you're not alone - but you're able to make it through times like this.
    To be honest, I would never commit suicide. I'm far too scared to do that. I just get depressed at times.

ReputationRep:
    I've suffered with depression for five/six years. I tried to sort myself out for most of that time, and it is quite difficult to do on your own. I went to the doctors and was offered some counselling, which I didn't go for as I actually went into hospital around that time.

Anyway, currently I am on antidepressants and have therapy. If you want to get rid of your depression, or at the very least manage it, you need to have some sort of counselling/therapy. Medication is optional, some people want to take it and some don't.

Other things which are important in treating depression are getting regular exercise and eating a balanced diet. And not isolating yourself, if you don't think you have a good social life then join some clubs/societies and get out there!

And no, I don't think you are a loser.

ReputationRep:
    I've spent the last few months with near minimal interaction with friends. It's especially bad as I'm usually introverted and was on a Gap Year. Often I go through periods of unhappiness, or rather... it's more like I'm unsatisfied by life.

Personally I think it's possible to reduce the amount of negative thinking. However to completely remove it would be to live a life that is mostly good. This'll involve interacting with other people.

What is the life you dream of OP?

ReputationRep:
    Please do everyone with depression a favour, and get yourself diagnosed. Things will be easier when you know it definitely is depression. Don't just label yourself with an illness that in some cases can be fatal.

On a more positive note, i've been fighting depression for 3 years now. So yay. If i were in your shoes right now, the first thing i would do is get myself diagnosed. Then you can talk to your GP and find the best cause for you.

Some times fighting it with drugs is the best thing, other times you might need counselling. You obviously know yourself the best, but it's much better knowing what you've got.

For about the first 6 months of when i first started suffering, i thought i had depression. I was right in the end, but other people thought i had anxiety more than depression. Turned out they were wrong.

I've also decided to fight depression without the help of drugs and such, for me it helps, it's a real boost knowing i can get very slightly better without any help. It's all me. Just knowing that really helps.

ReputationRep:
    The reason you're depressed probably involves other people, so the only way you can resolve your depression is to resolve some of your relationships with others.

I don't think you can fight depression completely alone, you need other people around you to show you what it means to be happy and to make you feel happier about yourself. I think you can fight it without professional help, but professional help is just that- help.

ReputationRep:
    You're not a loser.

And no you can't fight depression by yourself. Have you just diagnosed yourself? If so, you should see a doctor to find out if something else is affecting you.

Try not to worry too much, always remember that everything gets better with time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedRiotRoses)
    For about the first 6 months of when i first started suffering, i thought i had depression. I was right in the end, but other people thought i had anxiety more than depression. Turned out they were wrong.
    'Scuse my ignorance. What's was the difference?

I thought that anxiety could lead to depression. That's about it...

ReputationRep:
    Your uni should have a free counselling service, if you go to your student support office they will be really supportive and help you in any way they can. Ihave weekly sessions with a counsellor at my uni and it really helps It's someone non - judgemental who can listen and help you get things off your chest and help you think positively, or aim to at least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tombola)
    'Scuse my ignorance. What's the difference between anxiety and depression?
    Don't worry, it's good to know you're asking about it.

Anxiety -

Can be caused by an unknown fear of anything, so you start to avoid it. It's a common reaction to feelings of; stress, fear, worry, apprehension... .You act slightly like you have depression, but what you're feeling is totally different. The symptoms include chest pain, nausea, heart palpatations, stomach/headaches, shortness of breath, sweating, trembling, a feeling of panic.

It gets confused and related to depression by the feeling of dread one gets.

Depression -

This is where you feel nothing. Or what you do feel is muted so much it's barely there. It's exhausting, and symptoms can be either insomnia, or hyper somnia which is over sleeping. Suffers feel empty, lonely, upset, all the time, loss of motivation, feel worthless, guilty for no reason, regretful.

Physical symptoms can be pain for no reason, eating patterns messed up - might stop eating or you might over eat. If you've got a major case of it, then the impact on your life is similar to a heart attack or stroke. It affects absolutely anything.

It is possible for sufferers to have both, as they are closely linked and can be caused by the same thing. I have both, but my depression scores much higher than my anxiety does on the little tests docs make you take. It's really not something you want to wish on anyone.

The OP might have more symptoms of one than the other, hence why i was pushing for a diagnosis.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 24, 2008
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.