The Student Room Group

Tier 4 and New strain

Should the government just be buying lots of the antigen tests with the paper strips so people can tests at least twice a week at home rather than introducing more restrictions? Like 5 million covid tests given to people per day. The tests are fairly cheap to make and deliver results within like 15 minutes. At this stage, its kid of clear more restrictions isn't going to work and the vaccine is not going to save us either. Only around 375k people are tested daily. The NHS can carry out like 500,00 PCR tests per day but we don't really need to carry out PCR tests the antigen tests should be good enough right? Its cheaper and quicker.

Scroll to see replies

We barely have a fraction of that testing capacity.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Yes it's not 100% accurate but its like 99% and you can also test twice. Even if it's not 100% accurate it would still help a lot in reducing the R rate.
Reply 3
Original post by StriderHort
We barely have a fraction of that testing capacity.

Yeah but the NHS uses mostly PCR test at the moment, right? Which have to be sent to labs.
Reply 4
"The accuracy of a rapid finger-prick antibody test for SARS-CoV-2,". That's not even the test I am talking about. I am talking about he swab tests that work sort of like pregnancy tests.
Even for other type tests we simply aren't up to it from a logistics and recording point of view. If it's just to let people test themselves at home with clear motive for bias then I don't feel that's of any use at a national level, certainly not as a replacement to restrictions or vaccination efforts.
Reply 6
Even for other type tests we simply aren't up to it from a logistics and recording point of view. If it's just to let people test themselves at home with clear motive for bias then I don't feel that's of any use at a national level, certainly not as a replacement to restrictions or vaccination efforts.

They aren't exactly enforcing the restrictions. . I didn't say as a replacement for restrictions but people are likely not going to follow instructions and a lot of people are sceptical of the vaccine. And it's going to be a while before people can actually get vaccinated. I think more people would be happy to have a test at home.
Original post by blackugo
They aren't exactly enforcing the restrictions. . I didn't say as a replacement for restrictions but people are likely not going to follow instructions and a lot of people are sceptical of the vaccine. And it's going to be a while before people can actually get vaccinated. I think more people would be happy to have a test at home.

Restrictions are admittedly being enforced in a somewhat haphazard way but this is open to change, we're building towards another set of restrictions IMO, this 'normal christmas' crap was a huge misstep.

I think people would be perfectly happy to do a test at home, I also think they would mess it up, misunderstand the results or flat out lie, can they be trusted to contact trace ect? unless the NHS gets accurate data back from the tests, what use would it be beyond putting individuals minds at rest, a bit, maybe? While taking up a load of already scarce resources

Sever women over the years have explained to me that a positive pregnancy test does not mean they are pregnant, it means they need to go the doctors to get actually checked. Making any big celebration out of peeing on a stick is seem as premature.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
So do you think the restrictions are going to be effective? I feel like there will be low compliance. Who is going to stop people going out?
So do you think the restrictions are going to be effective? I feel like there will be low compliance. Who is going to stop people going out?

Nothing is going to stop people because we (thankfully) don't live in a country where the authorities are going to be stopping anyone (or at least not many people). Compliance is getting lower, and lower, and lower. We can only hope that the vaccine everyone is putting all their hope on actually does something useful in the long run.
Ah well hopefully we'll be all good in 70 years when we're on out 15th plague of the century :lol:
Reply 11
Original post by Ramipril
Nothing is going to stop people because we (thankfully) don't live in a country where the authorities are going to be stopping anyone (or at least not many people). Compliance is getting lower, and lower, and lower. We can only hope that the vaccine everyone is putting all their hope on actually does something useful in the long run.

We can't rely on the vaccine and allow the virus to keep reproducing though. We don't even know if the vaccine stops transmissions yet or how long it provides immunity for beyond the 2 month trial period ( i think, not sure )
We can't rely on the vaccine and allow the virus to keep reproducing though. We don't even know if the vaccine stops transmissions yet or how long it provides immunity for beyond the 2 month trial period ( i think, not sure )

What do you suggest that will actually work then?
Restrictions are admittedly being enforced in a somewhat haphazard way but this is open to change, we're building towards another set of restrictions IMO, this 'normal christmas' crap was a huge misstep.

I think people would be perfectly happy to do a test at home, I also think they would mess it up, misunderstand the results or flat out lie, can they be trusted to contact trace ect? unless the NHS gets accurate data back from the tests, what use would it be beyond putting individuals minds at rest, a bit, maybe? While taking up a load of already scarce resources

Sever women over the years have explained to me that a positive pregnancy test does not mean they are pregnant, it means they need to go the doctors to get actually checked. Making any big celebration out of peeing on a stick is seem as premature.

It's not false positives that really matter though. False negatives are much more common and have worse consequences.
Reply 14
What do you suggest that will actually work then?

It's probably too late in all honesty. Early action would have been more important. They made some pretty big mistakes in the beginning and it's going to be difficult to recover. But I don't think the rapid testing is a bad idea I think if people themselves test positive they are more likely to take responsibility. If you are getting the test in the first place I don't think you are going to be that dishonest. If you were going to ignore the results I don't see why you'd get a test in the first place. It's not perfect but perhaps a solution that maintains public faith and potentially saves businesses.

We've gone from tier 2 to tier 4 in a number of days. It's a bit embarrazzing. Lots of people have already gone home for Christmas from university and when they go back and people go back to school were probably going to see another rise in cases and things are only really going to get worse right.
(edited 3 years ago)
Lots of people have already gone home for Christmas from university and when they go back and people go back to school were probably going to see another rise in cases and things are only really going to get worse right.

Tis what happens when you have a virus that isn't going away and a vaccine that hasn't done the rounds yet.
Reply 16
Tis what happens when you have a virus that isn't going away and a vaccine that hasn't done the rounds yet.

Tis what happens when you have an incompetent government. There's just going to be more protests now. Bojo sold dreams and 6 days before Christmas decides to cancel it.
Tis what happens when you have an incompetent government. There's just going to be more protests now. Bojo sold dreams and 6 days before Christmas decides to cancel it.

Do you mean those anti-lockdown protests that happen in London like every week that barely anyone pays any attention to anymore? We haven't had a good riot in this country in years...it would certainly bring some much needed entertainment :colone:
Reply 18
Do you mean those anti-lockdown protests that happen in London like every week that barely anyone pays any attention to anymore? We haven't had a good riot in this country in years...it would certainly bring some much needed entertainment :colone:

London Riots 2.0? Yeah, I see that happening.
London Riots 2.0? Yeah, I see that happening.

Really? :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending