The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by asif007
There should be a question on the SJT about backbiting from medical students.

How do you deal with haters who hide behind Anonymous and don't own up to their comments? The correct answer is tell them to mind their business.

So mind your own.

How is this backbiting?

I'm sorry but if a patient came to you and spoke to you about their struggles, surely you would not say "I have no sympathy for such and such struggles."

Everyone struggles with things differently and I only made this post because I'm concerned about being placed far from my family and friends. I don't think I should be told my feeling aren't valid, thank you.
Original post by Anonymous
How is this backbiting?

I'm sorry but if a patient came to you and spoke to you about their struggles, surely you would not say "I have no sympathy for such and such struggles."

Everyone struggles with things differently and I only made this post because I'm concerned about being placed far from my family and friends. I don't think I should be told my feeling aren't valid, thank you.

I agree, your point is valid. You can express that you are anxious about feeling isolated. Just because someone else had it worse (family on the other side of the globe etc ) it doesn't invalidate your concern.

Ofc, you could turn down a post and wait until next year, but it's far from ideal.

I think the person here is looking for reassurance - how can he/she build a support network ? Can anyone else who experienced being posted far from home share their experiences?

I'm married and nervous about the strain on my relationship if I am placed far away. Especially with all the travel restrictions in place. Does that really make me less worth of a place on FP ?
I sat the SJT today and I think I’ve completely failed it I didn’t even finish the exam missed out a couple questions. Did the practice questions to prep and they just went awful got most wrong in some way. I’ve completely ruined my life. Please help
Original post by Cantabcyte
I sat the SJT today and I think I’ve completely failed it I didn’t even finish the exam missed out a couple questions. Did the practice questions to prep and they just went awful got most wrong in some way. I’ve completely ruined my life. Please help

I felt similarly today, not that I'd failed outright (believing that I haven't), but taking it online wasn't easy. My neighbours decided out of the blue to play very loud music, and the proctor just said thanks for letting me know. And so I think I spent much of the exam more nervous than I would have been which led to more overthinking and just more time deliberating (I'm borderline dyslexic but below the mark to get extra time). I didn't finish the last question as in may as well not have not haveanswered it so I feel that's 20 marks gone. I have struggled with mental health, but prepared so much for this exam. It kinda feels like being a gymnast and falling at the finals. I just wanted to at least feel I'd given it my all. The practice paper online was much more like the real thing. But hey, we've just got to focus on what we can do now. And focus on being great doctors. It's hard, but you know placements and the rest of the year are still there. We CAN finish well regardless.
It’s my fault I grossly underestimated how hard it was going to be and prepped last minute. I can’t believe I sabotaged myself like this after all these years of work. I emailed my supervisor for advice on what to do next because I really think I have failed.
I'm so sorry to read these posts from fellow final years who have found the SJT hard. Reading this thread has got me dreading my SJT on Saturday. I've done minimum prep after hearing that it 's an exam you can't revise for and also splitting what little time I have between SJT and PSA., Plus being on 8.30 - 5.30 placements in the hospital for the last 3 weeks I haven't had much spare time as I've been exhausted in the evening. I'm also worried about timing/not finishing like a couple of you mentioned. Is there an on-screen clock/countdown to try and keep yourself on track?
There is an on screen clock but with the exam being so long I lost track of time. I think timing wise it’s not too bad i only missed one question but I flagged a couple to go back to that I was spending a while on which I stupidly didn’t put an answer in so I missed those too. I’m a dunce so you’ll be fine.
There is an on screen clock but with the exam being so long I lost track of time. I think timing wise it’s not too bad i only missed one question but I flagged a couple to go back to that I was spending a while on which I stupidly didn’t put an answer in so I missed those too. I’m a dunce so you’ll be fine.

Aw I worked out each of the ranking are about 2% of the marks each, so missing those 3, and me missing that last one won't be what seals it if that helps at all. Try to keep your head up, this exam has been even more hyped due to covid unknowns, and the new type of questions, so we've definitely had more pressure. Hope you do well!

Aw I worked out each of the ranking are about 2% of the marks each, so missing those 3, and me missing that last one won't be what seals it if that helps at all. Try to keep your head up, this exam has been even more hyped due to covid unknowns, and the new type of questions, so we've definitely had more pressure. Hope you do well!

Thanks for the answer about the on screen clock. If it helps at all, I've heard that a few of the questions on the paper (about 10?) are pilot questions, so the marks for those don't count in the exam score. There's a very small chance that one or two you missed didn't count anyway.
Just a reminder that failing the SJT is exceptionally uncommon. But obviously it is possible to not score as highly as you would like.
The SJT is new for everyone this year, so i think it is hard to predict how you have done, and what the results are going to look like.
So dont lose hope.
I found the exam similarly tough yesterday, whoever I talked to told me to just focus on the official mocks but it didn't help me at all. I have to say I prepared thoroughly, yet, I was so confused that I had to read some questions twice. I've been feeling pretty low ever since as I feel like I might even end up amongst those with an exceptionally low score. What a nightmare.
(edited 3 years ago)
I feel absolutely awful about my SJT. Don't know if anyone has come across the furore on twitter and Reddit abit it. I sat mine online and had all sorts of issues. Main issue being I have a urinary condition and need to go to the toilet and with receiving extra time I was unable to go to the toilet and this distracted me for the entire exam. I know that had I gone to the test centre I wouldn't be under this level of pressure anxiety and stress during the exam. I also sped through the exam and with all these thoughts I feel that I have not read the questions properly and when walking out of the exam my first thought was I am going to be in the exceptionally low category and now I am absolutely certain that I am not going to get my competitive deanery which means having to spend another 2 years away from home. It's all just such a real nightmare and I'm so convinced that I will not be able to go to my first choice deanery. I don't even know who I can ask for advice since my medical school are absolutely useless and absolve themselves of all responsibility. All they ever say in regards to sjt issues is that it's not a university exam so they have no control over it...
I feel absolutely awful about my SJT. Don't know if anyone has come across the furore on twitter and Reddit abit it. I sat mine online and had all sorts of issues. Main issue being I have a urinary condition and need to go to the toilet and with receiving extra time I was unable to go to the toilet and this distracted me for the entire exam. I know that had I gone to the test centre I wouldn't be under this level of pressure anxiety and stress during the exam. I also sped through the exam and with all these thoughts I feel that I have not read the questions properly and when walking out of the exam my first thought was I am going to be in the exceptionally low category and now I am absolutely certain that I am not going to get my competitive deanery which means having to spend another 2 years away from home. It's all just such a real nightmare and I'm so convinced that I will not be able to go to my first choice deanery. I don't even know who I can ask for advice since my medical school are absolutely useless and absolve themselves of all responsibility. All they ever say in regards to sjt issues is that it's not a university exam so they have no control over it...

I would email UKFPO about it directly. They probably are the best people to advise you. Your med school prob could advise you, as through the medical schools council they work with ukfpo to do things like recruitment.
I think i saw on social media that there might be a chance to have a second chance if you have had a problem, but i think that the time to then is really short, so your medical school contacting them on your behalf is probably the quickest thing, as i am sure they notice the medical school contacting them. But also email and put the problem in the header so they pick it up?

Sorry that you have had such a tough time. Very few people are exceptionally low, but if you are hoping for a very competitive deanery, i completely understand your worry. Ive moved a lot with the different training levels, and actually there were lots of positives, even with my biggest leap - from london to Yorkshire for specialty - which i loved even more. I hope that you have done better than you think though.
Original post by HHaricot
I would email UKFPO about it directly. They probably are the best people to advise you. Your med school prob could advise you, as through the medical schools council they work with ukfpo to do things like recruitment.
I think i saw on social media that there might be a chance to have a second chance if you have had a problem, but i think that the time to then is really short, so your medical school contacting them on your behalf is probably the quickest thing, as i am sure they notice the medical school contacting them. But also email and put the problem in the header so they pick it up?

Sorry that you have had such a tough time. Very few people are exceptionally low, but if you are hoping for a very competitive deanery, i completely understand your worry. Ive moved a lot with the different training levels, and actually there were lots of positives, even with my biggest leap - from london to Yorkshire for specialty - which i loved even more. I hope that you have done better than you think though.

Thank you for your reply. I've emailed the ukfpo to outline the issues but my exam was never revoked. I just had to continue and then go to the toilet after the exam. I've since read on Huffington post the ukfpo said "We are working with individual applicants whose tests were discontinued and where appropriate will offer the option to re-book".

Since my exam was never revoked and I had to carry on I doubt they can do anything about this to be honest. It's just so disheartening because I wanted to go to a competitive deanery. Thank you for sharing your story though. I've already spent med school away from my family and was hoping to go home for foundation but that seems unlikely now.
I just think as a year, this cohort of medical students (Year 5s) have been extremely disadvantaged with nothing set in place to negate the amount of time we've lost. For example, we've missed out on the most placement and we're the first year to trial these new questions of which there are no solutions online and nobody really knows the difference between "very inappropriate" and "somewhat appropriate" etc. There's also the new "dialogue style" and "video" style of questions which has never been used before. Again, the examples provided have no solutions.

Does anyone else feel like this? It generally feels like the UKFPO haven't thought through this at all and how badly we would be affected during the pandemic with these new changes coming? I don't know if there is anyway to feed this back?
I just think as a year, this cohort of medical students (Year 5s) have been extremely disadvantaged with nothing set in place to negate the amount of time we've lost. For example, we've missed out on the most placement and we're the first year to trial these new questions of which there are no solutions online and nobody really knows the difference between "very inappropriate" and "somewhat appropriate" etc. There's also the new "dialogue style" and "video" style of questions which has never been used before. Again, the examples provided have no solutions.

Does anyone else feel like this? It generally feels like the UKFPO haven't thought through this at all and how badly we would be affected during the pandemic with these new changes coming? I don't know if there is anyway to feed this back?

100% agree with you. I included all of this in the feedback after the SJT. I also found those quotes (responses) quite challenging in the mock paper cause you could tell they were out of context at times and obviously subjective.
I feel like allocations this year will be a matter of luck rather than competencies or whatever else the SJT was going to assess.
How is this backbiting?

Except the person I was talking to is not my patient and I am not giving medical advice on TSR. That's the difference between practising Medicine IRL and expressing my views on a website. My sympathies for patients under my care don't always have to extend to people online if I think they are making mountains out of molehills. I am perfectly within my rights to tell anyone on TSR they're making a big deal out of nothing, if I think so. I draw a line between what I say at the workplace and what I say online - maybe you'll learn a thing or two from me about how to separate your work life from your personal life.

I'm so sorry to read these posts from fellow final years who have found the SJT hard. Reading this thread has got me dreading my SJT on Saturday. I've done minimum prep after hearing that it 's an exam you can't revise for and also splitting what little time I have between SJT and PSA., Plus being on 8.30 - 5.30 placements in the hospital for the last 3 weeks I haven't had much spare time as I've been exhausted in the evening. I'm also worried about timing/not finishing like a couple of you mentioned. Is there an on-screen clock/countdown to try and keep yourself on track?

May I ask, how did you manage to study for medical school exams while you were on placements? Those were presumably 9-5 hours as well, even in the run-up to exams. Were you able to take time off back then and just not attend placements at all in order to focus on studying? I don't see how the situation is different now if you are a final year medical student.

You're a final year medical student who has passed many exams more difficult than the SJT. So you can see why I would be hesitant to believe that you're a "dunce". You wouldn't have made it this far if you were.

It's not the end of the world if you don't get a place in your first choice deanery. This is the risk you take when you apply for a national allocation programme like UKFPO - you do run the risk of being placed somewhere far away from home if your SJT doesn't go as well as you hope. But IMO this is what you sign up for when you start at medical school as an enthusiastic 1st year. If you don't get your first choice, maybe you will get your second or third choice deanery which could be commutable distances from home. When every medical school graduate in the UK is pretty much guaranteed a job somewhere in the UK, I'm struggling to understand why your situation has such gravity as you describe. Job security in a pandemic shouldn't be taken for granted. I'm sorry to hear about your condition and I have indeed read the medical students' section on Reddit which describes the humiliating conditions that students were made to sit the exam in, as well as some of them being unfairly revoked halfway through - it's disgusting and I will make a separate post addressing my thoughts on that. Unless your condition means that you are unable to take care of yourself independently, in which case that's another question. But when you've already managed 5-6 years away from home, I don't really see why another 2 years away from home seems impossible? If you do get a place far from home, maybe you'll have to apply again next year so you can move home. Even that doesn't seem like such a big compromise when compared to losing livelihoods and homes.

Explain it to me please because I really don't get it. How exactly have you ruined your life? It seems that you and I have different definitions of what constitutes a ruined life, so give me some context please and I will return the favour to you.

It’s my fault I grossly underestimated how hard it was going to be and prepped last minute. I can’t believe I sabotaged myself like this after all these years of work. I emailed my supervisor for advice on what to do next because I really think I have failed.

It seems to be a common theme here that the SJT is an exam you don't have to prepare for, so lots of you here chose to do exactly that and are now unhappy with your exam performance. You have taken all your medical school exams very seriously and passed them all so far, so why is the SJT any different? Why are so many students intentionally not studying for this exam when it's apparently quite easy? Or at least it has been in the last few years when it wasn't online. IMO if you don't study for an exam then you don't have a leg to stand on when it comes to how hard it was and whether you think you've failed. Like I explained already, on the (very very) slim chance that you do fail, you can still go on to practise as a doctor. There are small failures and there are big failures. As someone watching all this unfold from the sidelines, failing the SJT when it doesn't stop you getting your first job as a doctor seems like a pretty small failure to me.

Reading lots of the comments here reminds me of final year medical student Simran Halari at Imperial College London. In one of her older YouTube videos she opens her 3rd year exam results and is visibly upset at achieving 73% and 83% or something like that, in her written and practical exams respectively. Because she won't be able to live at home. Yes I get that there are various reasons why people want to get a job somewhere that allows them to live at home. But we can't always have what we want, especially when it comes to competitive deaneries like London. IMO educated professionals like doctors can find living independently to be a piece of cake compared to working in hospitals.
Original post by asif007
Except the person I was talking to is not my patient and I am not giving medical advice on TSR. That's the difference between practising Medicine IRL and expressing my views on a website. My sympathies for patients under my care don't always have to extend to people online if I think they are making mountains out of molehills. I am perfectly within my rights to tell anyone on TSR they're making a big deal out of nothing, if I think so. I draw a line between what I say at the workplace and what I say online - maybe you'll learn a thing or two from me about how to separate your work life from your personal life.

May I ask, how did you manage to study for medical school exams while you were on placements? Those were presumably 9-5 hours as well, even in the run-up to exams. Were you able to take time off back then and just not attend placements at all in order to focus on studying? I don't see how the situation is different now if you are a final year medical student.

You're a final year medical student who has passed many exams more difficult than the SJT. So you can see why I would be hesitant to believe that you're a "dunce". You wouldn't have made it this far if you were.

It's not the end of the world if you don't get a place in your first choice deanery. This is the risk you take when you apply for a national allocation programme like UKFPO - you do run the risk of being placed somewhere far away from home if your SJT doesn't go as well as you hope. But IMO this is what you sign up for when you start at medical school as an enthusiastic 1st year. If you don't get your first choice, maybe you will get your second or third choice deanery which could be commutable distances from home. When every medical school graduate in the UK is pretty much guaranteed a job somewhere in the UK, I'm struggling to understand why your situation has such gravity as you describe. Job security in a pandemic shouldn't be taken for granted. I'm sorry to hear about your condition and I have indeed read the medical students' section on Reddit which describes the humiliating conditions that students were made to sit the exam in, as well as some of them being unfairly revoked halfway through - it's disgusting and I will make a separate post addressing my thoughts on that. Unless your condition means that you are unable to take care of yourself independently, in which case that's another question. But when you've already managed 5-6 years away from home, I don't really see why another 2 years away from home seems impossible? If you do get a place far from home, maybe you'll have to apply again next year so you can move home. Even that doesn't seem like such a big compromise when compared to losing livelihoods and homes.

Explain it to me please because I really don't get it. How exactly have you ruined your life? It seems that you and I have different definitions of what constitutes a ruined life, so give me some context please and I will return the favour to you.

It seems to be a common theme here that the SJT is an exam you don't have to prepare for, so lots of you here chose to do exactly that and are now unhappy with your exam performance. You have taken all your medical school exams very seriously and passed them all so far, so why is the SJT any different? Why are so many students intentionally not studying for this exam when it's apparently quite easy? Or at least it has been in the last few years when it wasn't online. IMO if you don't study for an exam then you don't have a leg to stand on when it comes to how hard it was and whether you think you've failed. Like I explained already, on the (very very) slim chance that you do fail, you can still go on to practise as a doctor. There are small failures and there are big failures. As someone watching all this unfold from the sidelines, failing the SJT when it doesn't stop you getting your first job as a doctor seems like a pretty small failure to me.

Reading lots of the comments here reminds me of final year medical student Simran Halari at Imperial College London. In one of her older YouTube videos she opens her 3rd year exam results and is visibly upset at achieving 73% and 83% or something like that, in her written and practical exams respectively. Because she won't be able to live at home. Yes I get that there are various reasons why people want to get a job somewhere that allows them to live at home. But we can't always have what we want, especially when it comes to competitive deaneries like London. IMO educated professionals like doctors can find living independently to be a piece of cake compared to working in hospitals.

So you didn’t do the SJT this year, is that right?
The SJT was changed this year. There was a new section and one of the existing sections was full of new styles that previous years did not sit. The UKPFO released a mock exam but did not provide any solutions as they have for every year before.

It means that this year was disadvantaged to some extent especially in light of missed and severely disrupted placements. Y5s this year have every right to feel like they’ve been disadvantaged and weren’t able to prepare as others years in light of this. UKFPO themselves hAve acknowledged this but haven’t made any changes to make this easier for this year group.

Secondly, I’m quite frankly shocked by your first statement. You’ve quite literally said that you can speak to people in any way possible if it’s not in your professional life. People are different, we can care about where we are placed for the next 3-4 years - some have children and unwell family members etc who they may want to be with, to disregard this is really not okay.

If you cannot and refuse to empathise and understand, then do not reply. There is nobody forcing you to post here so kindly don’t.
Original post by asif007

Wow so you're basically saying that empathy is something you've learned to fake in your professional life, and outside of that you are free to act like an ******* because there isn't a professional body that can judge your behaviour?

I really feel for your IRL friends and family. You must be really fun at parties.
Wow so you're basically saying that empathy is something you've learned to fake in your professional life, and outside of that you are free to act like an ******* because there isn't a professional body that can judge your behaviour?

I really feel for your IRL friends and family. You must be really fun at parties.

Exactly, shocking to read. But I think he’s an earlier year medical student who hasn’t gone through the SJT as he said it’s an easy exam.

Literally, the SJT is known for how hard and ambiguous it is so he clearly is giving advice on something he has no experience on. Hence why, I’ve told him to refrain from answering as he lacks both empathy and understanding.

Latest

Trending

Trending