The Student Room Group

18 and never had a girlfriend

Hi everyone
I am starting to become concerned now that at 18 I’ve never had a girlfriend. You see, growing up, I’ve always been a socially awkward person and lately I’ve been working on my communication skills so that so I can start to have better communication with people. I’d say because of my past social awkward situations that has turned down many potential girlfriends for me. I’ve always wanted a girlfriend but that has never happened. I was hoping to get one in college last year but there are barely any girls in my college since it’s a construction college (only 7 in my entire college). They either have boyfriends or aren’t my ideal girl type. Another problem is where to meet and find new girls because it’s kind of awkward and not realistic talking to random girls on social media, and in public, you don’t want to seem like a creep.

What advice would anybody give to someone at 18 who hasnt ever had a girlfriend and how do you meet new ones
Reply 1
You're barely of an age to be properly dating, so to have not had a girlfriend at 18 isn't the big deal you are making it out to be, and there's no rush to get involved with anyone because you want it to be the right person and not someone for the the sake of having a girlfriend.

Stop thinking of girls as potential girlfriends, you'll come over as desperate. Whilst it's difficult to meet new people in the pandemic, learn to make friends first; do it through others in your social circle or find ones with similar interests and values. If you don't meet someone to date for the next 5 years, it doesn't matter.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi everyone
I am starting to become concerned now that at 18 I’ve never had a girlfriend. You see, growing up, I’ve always been a socially awkward person and lately I’ve been working on my communication skills so that so I can start to have better communication with people. I’d say because of my past social awkward situations that has turned down many potential girlfriends for me. I’ve always wanted a girlfriend but that has never happened. I was hoping to get one in college last year but there are barely any girls in my college since it’s a construction college (only 7 in my entire college). They either have boyfriends or aren’t my ideal girl type. Another problem is where to meet and find new girls because it’s kind of awkward and not realistic talking to random girls on social media, and in public, you don’t want to seem like a creep.

What advice would anybody give to someone at 18 who hasnt ever had a girlfriend and how do you meet new ones

OK so firstly I just wanna say YOU DO NOT NEED A GIRLFRIEND! I know that society makes it sound like you always need a 'partner' or your 'other half' or whatever BUT honestly its not all that. When someone is in your life, and you guys feel a vibe between you and you guys wanna take it forward from there, then go for it and ask her out. BUT if u just speak to someone and the vibe isn't major but u feel obliged to get into a relationship just because u think its what you need to be doing then thats WRONG. All im gonna say is that, I know you want a girlfriend but please also remember that just because u want one doesn't mean u can just ask a girl out and then dump her afterwards bc it will eventually get boring because breakups can literally destroy ur mental health. So if u feel a vibe then go for it but if ur just doing it for the sake of having a gf then please dont because not only will you hurt urself, but also the girl your getting involved with. But all imma say is: you DONT NEED a gf, most people this age have never had a relationship anyways.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending