The Student Room Group

Nuclear Engineering - Is it worth doing a degree apprenticeship?

So, I want to become a nuclear engineer. Initially I would like to work in the private sector for energy companies, but if I ever get the chance I'd like to go into weapons or military related roles. I'm picking physics, chemistry and either economics or politics at college. However I really don't want to go to uni, I'd like to avoid the debt, and I'd prefer to be more work based and be able to make money while studying. The best path other than uni seems to be through a degree apprenticeship, is it worth it? It would last 5 year, on a salary of around £18,000, which would start at age 18. Anybody done this type of apprenticeship before, and if so what are the pros and cons?
Reply 1
Dunno - but I think you would need maths A level. Have you looked to see if the military have any routes into nuclear engineering?
Original post by ajj2000
Dunno - but I think you would need maths A level. Have you looked to see if the military have any routes into nuclear engineering?

Well, I've posted a differant discussion about whether I'd need maths and I'm still deciding. Also, I haven't , however I would assume you would need an apprenticeship first. I'll have a look 👍🏻
Reply 3
Original post by Reginald2004
Well, I've posted a differant discussion about whether I'd need maths and I'm still deciding. Also, I haven't , however I would assume you would need an apprenticeship first. I'll have a look 👍🏻

I've worked with a few guys who trained as engineers on nuclear submarines.
Original post by ajj2000
I've worked with a few guys who trained as engineers on nuclear submarines.

Yeah I've just looked, the navy do offer degrees in it. But it focuses more on marine engineering. It is an option though.
Reply 5
Original post by Reginald2004
So, I want to become a nuclear engineer. Initially I would like to work in the private sector for energy companies, but if I ever get the chance I'd like to go into weapons or military related roles. I'm picking physics, chemistry and either economics or politics at college. However I really don't want to go to uni, I'd like to avoid the debt, and I'd prefer to be more work based and be able to make money while studying. The best path other than uni seems to be through a degree apprenticeship, is it worth it? It would last 5 year, on a salary of around £18,000, which would start at age 18. Anybody done this type of apprenticeship before, and if so what are the pros and cons?

I know I’m late to respond but I’m also intrested in becoming a nuclear engineer and i did a bit of research I found out that a few companies do nuclear engineering degree apprenticeships they are: rolls royce, edf and the university of Sheffield I’m still doing my research but yeah what are u doing now? Are u a nuclear engineer now?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending