mika100303
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Good evening, I have got some questions about the student fees. I am a British citizen, but I've been living and going to school in Poland since I was a child. Will I be able to get any sort of student loan?
mika100303
Rep:
?
Good evening, I have got some questions about the student fees. I am a British citizen, but I've been living and going to school in Poland since I was a child. Will I be able to get any sort of student loan?
DoNotMove
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by mika100303)
You can apply for a student loan through Student Finance England if all of the below apply:
- you are a UK national
- you normally live in England
- you've lived in the UK full time for 3 years before the start of your course date.

Judging from the above criteria, no.
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
As noted above probably not without living in the UK for a qualifying time period. Depends somewhat on the reasons for your family being in Poland and whether they can prove ongoing links to the UK.
mika100303
Rep:
?
(Original post by ajj2000)
As noted above probably not without living in the UK for a qualifying time period. Depends somewhat on the reasons for your family being in Poland and whether they can prove ongoing links to the UK
I have family living in the UK, my dad works in London (currently online), we moved to Poland because my mum is from here. I guess I'm not getting a student loan, thank you for the help.
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I have family living in the UK, my dad works in London (currently online), we moved to Poland because my mum is from here. I guess I'm not getting a student loan, thank you for the help.
that sounds likely but you should check with student finance as the rules get complicated with Brexit and so on. A year ago you might have qualified as a 'child of a migrant worker'. I'm not sure now - possibly no-one knows what will happen next year.
MedicWil
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Unfortunately not, you don't meet the residency criteria so you won't be able to get a loan from student finance. Your only option is to get a private loan or a job to pay for it
Also I'll tag SFE Isaac as he'll be able to advise you better although I doubt his answer will be any different TBF
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by DoNotMove)
You can apply for a student loan through Student Finance England if all of the below apply:
- you are a UK national
- you normally live in England
- you've lived in the UK full time for 3 years before the start of your course date.

Judging from the above criteria, no.
(Original post by ajj2000)
that sounds likely but you should check with student finance as the rules get complicated with Brexit and so on. A year ago you might have qualified as a 'child of a migrant worker'. I'm not sure now - possibly no-one knows what will happen next year.
(Original post by MedicWil)
Unfortunately not, you don't meet the residency criteria so you won't be able to get a loan from student finance. Your only option is to get a private loan or a job to pay for it
Also I'll tag SFE Isaac as he'll be able to advise you better although I doubt his answer will be any different TBF
Good morning, sorry for the delayed response.

The above info from others is correct. As you have never settled in the UK previously you are classed as an EU applicant.

In the current 20/21 academic year you would be able to apply for EU funding or Migrant Worker funding as ajj2000 mentioned but there will be no EU funding for new applicants next year (only returning applicants).
If you contact us again early next year around February time then we will be able to advise you on eligibility for the 21/22 academic year.
Thanks, Isaac
mika100303
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
Good morning, sorry for the delayed response.

The above info from others is correct. As you have never settled in the UK previously you are classed as an EU applicant.

In the current 20/21 academic year you would be able to apply for EU funding or Migrant Worker funding as ajj2000 mentioned but there will be no EU funding for new applicants next year (only returning applicants).
If you contact us again early next year around February time then we will be able to advise you on eligibility for the 21/22 academic year.
Thanks, Isaac
Thank you very much, I will contact you again in February.
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Thank you very much, I will contact you again in February.
The 21/22 academic year eligibility criteria has now been released. You can find out more information here https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-academic-year
Thanks, Isaac
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
21.92%
Excited but a bit nervous (132)
45.21%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.33%
I'm really nervous (60)
20.55%

Watched Threads