Would this woman be guilty of murder?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Say if a woman, of small stature, lived alone. She was upstairs and suddenly someone broke into her house and was making their way upstairs. She saw that they had a knife so she picked up an object and hit them over the head. The injury resulted in death. The knife turned out to be a normal cutlery knife which the burglar had grabbed.

Would the woman be found guilty of murder? Or would it be classed as self defence?
The Weeknd.
Badges: 21
Report 5 months ago
You're asking for a friend, aren't you? :holmes:
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Probably self defence.
The Weeknd.
Report 5 months ago
Self defence imo
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Hellohsjakodsmka)
You're asking for a friend, aren't you? :holmes:
Why do people try and judge the intentions of a post rather than just answering. Could be various reasons. It didn’t happen. Truth is simple curiosity.
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Criminal law problem question or what? You can find the answer yourself on the CPS website.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Why do people try and judge the intentions of a post rather than just answering. Could be various reasons. It didn’t happen. Truth is simple curiosity.
Because you are hiding behind anon which makes you automatically suspicious.
The Weeknd.
Report 5 months ago
If you say so :curious:
Anonymous #1
(Original post by DiddyDec)
Because you are hiding behind anon which makes you automatically suspicious.
If I was really dodgy it’s not like I’d spill the truth by being questioned on here anyway though is it.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
If I was really dodgy it’s not like I’d spill the truth by being questioned on here anyway though is it.
Given some of the things I have seen on here, nothing would surprise me.
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Say if a woman, of small stature, lived alone. She was upstairs and suddenly someone broke into her house and was making their way upstairs. She saw that they had a knife so she picked up an object and hit them over the head. The injury resulted in death. The knife turned out to be a normal cutlery knife which the burglar had grabbed.

Would the woman be found guilty of murder? Or would it be classed as self defence?
you would think self defence, but you never know these days..
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
bad 80s film plot
Foxehh
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Interesting hobby, cant say Ive ever met someone who makes up gruesome stories and ponders over the legality of the matter to pass time.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by LovelyMrFox)
Interesting hobby, cant say Ive ever met someone who makes up gruesome stories and ponders over the legality of the matter to pass time.
Peter Singer, but this not he (probably...)
Joleee
Report 5 months ago
how would anyone know but a judge?
sjtrinder
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Nah, she'd probably be fine. Self defence is based on the honestly held belief of the person of what they're experiencing, regardless of whether that belief is accurate, and whether the force she has used is reasonable and proportionate.

Her honestly held belief was that her life was in danger and that she had to protect herself.

Her honestly held belief was that the intruder was going to kill her, so she responded reasonably by using the same/proportionate level of force by hitting him over the head.

However, had once she had hit the intruder over the head and they were unconscious, had she continued to repeatedly hit him over the head and smash his skull in until he died, then it's more likely it would be murder, because she no longer would have been acting in self defence. (Because it's not self defence once they're unconscious)
Last edited by sjtrinder; 5 months ago
Ray_Shadows
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
she's a criminal now , hopefully she gets a nice cell next to the rest of the murderers

Spoiler:
Show
/s
npic9
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Is this an exam question or random lol. Anyways I’m sure it’d be classed as self defence, unless she repeatedly hit him despite being unconscious, then you’d have to question the intent involved.
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Manslaughter, not murder
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by black tea)
Manslaughter, not murder
Could be a lawful killing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (44)
36.97%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (12)
10.08%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (5)
4.2%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (29)
24.37%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (19)
15.97%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (10)
8.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed