Council Tax Watch

Economist
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
What's the deal with this after finishing my final year?

I received a court summons today forwarded by my landlord for not having paid it

I completed my final exam on 16th May, Uni term ended on 6th June and I officially graduated 3 weeks ago. They claim I owe £36.48 for the date 6th June to 15th June.

I moved out on 23rd May, although our tenancy finished on 21st June.

So are you liable for council tax as soon as the uni term ends? Considering this is the 1st notice ive received that I owe them I believe I can avoid the cost of summons charge and technically since I moved out on the 23rd May im not liable for anything but how easy is this to prove to them?

Ill call them in the morning just wondering anyone had had any experience of this, I imagine there must be loads of final year students who see out their tenancy past the end of their university term?
tasGooner
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You are liable for council tax after you graduate BUT as i understand it if a house is empty and you are not storing your personal possesions in the house and are not living there then C/T does not apply, it may be good to go to the Citizens Advice Berau to see if they can help.
Economist
Rep:
?
Ok ta, I didnt think I was liable once I had moved out but proving when I actually moved out might be a problem.

If im still classified as a student and therefore exempt until graduation then that makes everything easy to prove, are you sure thats the case?
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You got a court summons before any warning letters? That can't be right.
Economist
Rep:
?
(Original post by SillyFencer)
You got a court summons before any warning letters? That can't be right.
Well I moved out so I guess the new tenants threw the post in the bin or the landlord couldnt be bothered to forward all the post
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Economist)
Well I moved out so I guess the new tenants threw the post in the bin or the landlord couldnt be bothered to forward all the post
Did you have to sign for it?
Economist
Rep:
?
Did you have to sign for it?
The letter? No it was addressed to the flat and the landlord has scribbled out that address and put my home one on and sent it
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Economist)
The letter? No it was addressed to the flat and the landlord has scribbled out that address and put my home one on and sent it
Oh, well that's simple - you didn't get it. Now, go ask about council tax now that you are not a student, when you get told that you are due £30 odd, just pay it.
Economist
Rep:
?
Oh, well that's simple - you didn't get it. Now, go ask about council tax now that you are not a student, when you get told that you are due £30 odd, just pay it.
That's an option but I shouldnt be paying anything. And id rather ring the number and sort this business out than them issuing a liability order even if a lot of it is scare tactics and they dont know where im living now.

If someone can confirm you dont become liable until you graduate that would make everything easier.
Economist
Rep:
?
Done a bit of looking around and it seems you become liable once your registration ends which is seemingly 6th June.

Now I have to somehow prove I left on 24th May otherwise ill have to cough up. Surely lots of others must have found themselves in this situation?
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

I LOVE a Black Friday deal (441)
46.77%
Nah, Black Friday is pointless (288)
30.54%
I don't have an opinion (214)
22.69%

Watched Threads