The Student Room Group

Best Uni to make friends for shy aspergers mature student

Hi all, I want to know which universities have a welcoming, warm and friendly culture. I am a mature student (late 20s) and have aspergers and find it hard to make friends and the prospect of going to university in a different town worries me because I have a hard time making friends. Can you recommend any universities that have a welcoming culture?
Literally any uni
May take you a while to find your people but they will be there. I suggest joining lots of societies, specifically the unis disabilities society
Reply 2
i wouldn't suggest a lot of the london unis because most of them do not have campuses which makes it hard to find other people. it's also very expensive so partying isn't that enjoyable. good luck!
Royal Holloway University of London could be a good call! It's technically a 'university of London', but not actually in London (it's in Surrey) and is thus a campus uni. It is relatively small (around 10k students) and has a good mix of ages. There are also lots of sports clubs and loooaads of societies that you could join to make friends. Also, because it is quite a small, contained campus, there are quite a lot of people about and lots of Facebook pages etc for making friends (it's not uncommon to see people posting about wanting to widen their friendship circle and asking for new people to message/make friends with- so you may be comforted by this as a reminder that difficulty making friends is nothing to be ashamed of!). They also have a good DSA support service which could also help you :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Hi all, I want to know which universities have a welcoming, warm and friendly culture. I am a mature student (late 20s) and have aspergers and find it hard to make friends and the prospect of going to university in a different town worries me because I have a hard time making friends. Can you recommend any universities that have a welcoming culture?

Hi there! :smile:

How are you? I hope you're keeping safe and well.

I'm sure you'll have a great, welcoming time at any university and wish you the very best of luck whichever university you decide to choose.

Here at Bradford adult learners make up around a third of our undergraduate community! You can find the support offered for adult learners and hear some stories from our adult learner students here :smile: You'll also find the contact details for our fantastic Adult Learner Adviser Caroline at the bottom of the webpage, please do contact her with any questions or concerns you have, Caroline will be more than happy to have a chat with you.

Good luck with everything!

Becky

Quick Reply

Latest