The Student Room Group

Hardest Topics in AS Further Maths?

For people who have done FM AS (preferably edexcel), which would you say are the most difficult topics?
hey, I took Further Maths Edexcel (FP1 and D1) and I'd probably say that the algebra for some of the proof by induction can get challenging, also some of the vectors require a bit of thought but overall you will survive. In AS there's more of a focus on the algebra itself with complex numbers, matrices, and such but honestly they're not as bad as they look and you'll get good at it very fast.
Original post by jl.redfern
hey, I took Further Maths Edexcel (FP1 and D1) and I'd probably say that the algebra for some of the proof by induction can get challenging, also some of the vectors require a bit of thought but overall you will survive. In AS there's more of a focus on the algebra itself with complex numbers, matrices, and such but honestly they're not as bad as they look and you'll get good at it very fast.

Yeah I've had a look through the book and Ive done like 1/3 of it and been fine so far, and the rest looks doable aha. Im self teaching so Im not sure if I'll do the whole A level or just AS. I want to do FP1 and FS1, how is FP? also are you doing the full A level and how does year 2 compare to year 1?
Original post by harrylonghurst
Yeah I've had a look through the book and Ive done like 1/3 of it and been fine so far, and the rest looks doable aha. Im self teaching so Im not sure if I'll do the whole A level or just AS. I want to do FP1 and FS1, how is FP? also are you doing the full A level and how does year 2 compare to year 1?

yeah so in my opinion (and my teacher's opinion) FP1 is the hardest out of FS1, D1, FM1, and FP1 but it's more in the amount of content rather than the difficulty for example there is almost double the number of topics in FP1 than there is in FM1 and FM1 is basically just stuff you learn in physics (if you take that). With FP1 if you can do algebra, like calculus and vectors then you're fine. I self-taught all of FP1 and to be honest it's not too bad, sometimes you'll want to rip your hair out but it's doable. Also year one is significantly easier than year two but with that being said you are a better mathematician by that point so you'll be fine.
Original post by harrylonghurst
For people who have done FM AS (preferably edexcel), which would you say are the most difficult topics?

I’d say you want to understand vectors from basic principles otherwise it can be a lot to just remember, inductive proof is very basic once the main concept is embedded into your thinking framework and complex numbers are vital for the jump to year 2. Understanding the use and purpose of matrices can help with vectors too and linear transformations, also volumes of revolution is a key area, once understood in first year, its just a repeat in second year

Quick Reply

Latest