The Student Room Group

Box room

I’m 28 my boyfriend is 26. Last year we decided to move into my mothers house to try and save money to buy a house. My brother who is 19 has a large double room and we got landed with the box room I wouldn’t mind if I was on my own but it’s ridiculous for two adults to live in there. The past year I had been helping my mum with the child care of my younger sister and me and my boyfriend were told we could move in to. It sounds silly but it’s more than just a room I feel like me and my boyfriend are so disrespected in this house and we aren’t done saving enough money to buy a house yet

Scroll to see replies

Is your mother charging either of you rent or housekeeping?
Reply 2
Original post by londonmyst
Is your mother charging either of you rent or housekeeping?

No
Original post by Anonymous
No

then be thankful at least u get a room for free
I don't really see why your brother should have to move out of his room just because you decided to move back home. If you are not happy with the arrangements, I would suggest moving out into a rented place.
Reply 5
Original post by HiMyNameIsRiley
then be thankful at least u get a room for free

I said I will pay to rent to get my brothers room
No

In that case, you have absolutely zero right to complain. I would be pretty annoyed if my 28-year-old child moved in with me with their boyfriend and didn't pay.
Reply 7
Original post by black tea
I don't really see why your brother should have to move out of his room just because you decided to move back home. If you are not happy with the arrangements, I would suggest moving out into a rented place.

I have finished uni and come home
I said I will pay to rent to get my brothers room

why should u get HIS room, its not urs. why should he have to give his up for you??
I have finished uni and come home

So?
I’m 28 my boyfriend is 26. Last year we decided to move into my mothers house to try and save money to buy a house. My brother who is 19 has a large double room and we got landed with the box room I wouldn’t mind if I was on my own but it’s ridiculous for two adults to live in there. The past year I had been helping my mum with the child care of my younger sister and me and my boyfriend were told we could move in to. It sounds silly but it’s more than just a room I feel like me and my boyfriend are so disrespected in this house and we aren’t done saving enough money to buy a house yet

I don't think just because you decided to move back and because your boyfriend is also living with you automatically means you should get the bigger room. The options are either live there or move rent somewhere else.
Original post by black tea
In that case, you have absolutely zero right to complain. I would be pretty annoyed if my 28-year-old child moved in with me with their boyfriend and didn't pay.

why should u get HIS room, its not urs. why should he have to give his up for you??

Its not his room either its my mums
Original post by tjames988
I don't think just because you decided to move back and because your boyfriend is also living with you automatically means you should get the bigger room. The options are either live there or move rent somewhere else.

My brother doesn't need a big room and I do
Its not his room either its my mums

ok. its still not urs tho is it. and ur mum is the one who pays the rent etc. of the house...
(edited 3 years ago)
My brother doesn't need a big room and I do

do u realise how selfish that sounds?
ok. its still not urs tho is it. and ur mum is the one who pays the rent etc. of the house...

The house owned my her so she's not paying rent
do u realise how selfish that sounds?

Hes being selfish, he doesn't need a big room for just him
The house owned my her so she's not paying rent

yeah exactly. its her house not yours so don't be demanding other ppl's rooms when the house don't belong to u
yeah exactly. its her house not yours so don't be demanding other ppl's rooms when the house don't belong to u

My brother has had that room for so long and my mum doesn't mind giving me the big room but my brother said no
You made the decision to move in so you could save up.
You don’t get to demand that the whole house be rearranged to suit you.
You don’t get to kick your brother out of his room just because you want more space.
It is your choice whether you stay or not, it is not your choice what room you get given.

Latest

Trending

Trending