...economics at chemistry...
:P

sorry, heh
JrW
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Firstly, league tables do not fully represent or accurately representeither university. They are on par for a majority of subjects (although science and maths is slightly better at Cam). However, any degree from either university will be immensely helpful when applying for jobs. I doubt a student from Oxford or Cambridge would be favoured more than another student from the other university. Both are very competetive and yoou shouldn't really consider one easier or harder to get into e.g. last year at St. John's Cambridge there were 60 applicants for law, this year there were only 40 applicants because lots of people were put of by the high numbers that applied last year. Basically, its to do with luck; applying to either university I would reckon that your chances of getting in are pretty similar...

Therefore, neither is harder to get into in my opinion. Even if there is some evidence of it slightly leaning to one of them, it shouldn't put you off applyng there; afterall, if you are a strong candidate you will be offered a place, if you are not, you are unlikely to receive an offer.

If I had to choose between one or the other, I would have to choose Cambridge.
Waldo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by notyourpunk)
while PPE and SPS only have one subject in common, thus making direct comparision difficult. If you want something with an economic orientation you apply for PPE and if you dont you apply for SPS. if you are going to compare subjects i think you really have to compare the same subjects. and even then its difficult to make good comparisions
It was just a (bad) example.

Actually, for the purposes of the point i was making, now i think about it, it makes absolutely no difference whether PPE or SPS are similar subjects. All i was saying is that one is more prestigious and thus harder to get into. I could have cited PPE at balliol and education studies at Homerton...

As for all this 'cam is better','oxford is better' malarkey - we are not going to get anywhere.
lskdgjsj
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Waldo)

As for all this 'cam is better','oxford is better' malarkey - we are not going to get anywhere.

Quite agree. The problem with this sort of debate is that it is invariably carried on in terms of anecdotal evidence, and statistics without any sort of context. One could no doubt adduce numerous examples of people being rejected by Oxford and later accepted by Cambridge, and vice versa; of singularly appalling interviewers; of laxity in one university, and severity in the other. The fact is that an individual application is such a confused hodgepodge of happenstance, temperament, luck, and so forth, that is to difficult to see how one could extrapolate from this some general rule, to the effect that university X is better than university Y. Statistics are no better of course: one could say, for instance, that rather more people applied to Cambridge than Oxford, and that consequently more people were rejected by Cambridge than Oxford, therefore Cambridge is harder to get into. But this tells you nothing at all about the quality of the candidates: it may be that everyone who applied to Cambridge was an idiot, and everyone who applied to Oxford was a genius, and that only those possessed of a sort of Goethe-esque universal genius got into Oxford, whereas those who can barely scrawl their own names in crayon were accepted into Cambridge.

I think the argument about the 'right' candidates getting in is a case in point. One could say, quite meaninglessly I should think, that Cambridge is rather better at selecting the 'right' candidates than Oxford: after all, it does have the lowest drop-out rate of any university in the country, and its students achieve the highest number of firsts and 2:1s. (One could of course argue against both of these points quite successfully).
fairieboi
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i think that svidrigailov has got as close as any of are going to. so let's stop trying and pretend this thread never happened, heh
RxB
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by svidrigailov)
I think the argument about the 'right' candidates getting in is a case in point. One could say, quite meaninglessly I should think, that Cambridge is rather better at selecting the 'right' candidates than Oxford: after all, it does have the lowest drop-out rate of any university in the country, and its students achieve the highest number of firsts and 2:1s. (One could of course argue against both of these points quite successfully).
By saying the differences are small enough to be statistically insignificant?

(Googling the drop-out rates gave me this,. which says that Cambridge's dropout rate's 20%. I'm assuming this is the Guardian's excellent subbing at work again, suggesting it's 2%, which is the same as Oxford).

This wasn't really a serious post. I just wanted to echo the idea that neither is particularly better than the other, which anectodal evidence can't really disprove.
MrsJones
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think it's equally difficult to get an offer at either, the thing is though I doubt the same people would be successful at both.

There must be subject variations too. I think it will be easier, for instance, to get an offer for Maths at Cam because they later weed out about 40% at the STEP. Thus taking your place at Uni for Maths is probably easier at Oxford.
lskdgjsj
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by RxB)
By saying the differences are small enough to be statistically insignificant?

(Googling the drop-out rates gave me this,. which says that Cambridge's dropout rate's 20%. I'm assuming this is the Guardian's excellent subbing at work again, suggesting it's 2%, which is the same as Oxford).

This wasn't really a serious post. I just wanted to echo the idea that neither is particularly better than the other, which anectodal evidence can't really disprove.
Admittedly I had in mind this: http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/news/dp/1999120301 , which gave Cambridge the lowest drop-out rate. I notice that your figures are for 2001-2002, this site http://www.iee.org/OnComms/Circuit/benefits/dropout.cfm (2003) says that the drop-out rate at Cambridge is 1.3%, at Oxford 2.0%. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...287706,00.html -- The Times puts them both at little over 1% (2004).

Either way, it's not especially important, as you've noted.
Font
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
apparently its harder to get into nottingham than it is to oxford and cambridge combined!!!!! 10 + applicants per place :eek:
fairieboi
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Phil23)
apparently its harder to get into nottingham than it is to oxford and cambridge combined!!!!! 10 + applicants per place :eek:
You still have to consider the quality of applicants there, it'll be high, but not as high. And i imagine they give a higher ratio of offers:actual places than oxbridge do.
Brown Patrick Bateman
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
No, Nottingham is not harder to get into than Oxbridge. Places like LSE, Bristol and even the Bolton Institute get over 10 applicants per place. BUT, these applicants are only picking each institution as one of their six choices - if it's applicants who want to go there as 1st choice : places it's more like 2-3:1. Hence places like Nottingham and Manchester give out about three times as many offers as they have spaces, whereas for Oxbridge under 5% turn down their offer.
storyofanartist
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by !Laxy!)
At the end of the day, if you are good enough to go to oxbridge then you should get straight A's anyway, so whats the big deal?
thats really silly, why should you? I got AAB and im there....yet im no more (or should it be less ) stupid than anyone else in ym year. i got a B in english because i have a habit of messing up english exams, but that makes me no less good at geography....
lskdgjsj
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by storyofanartist)
thats really silly, why should you? I got AAB and im there....yet im no more (or should it be less ) stupid than anyone else in ym year. i got a B in english because i have a habit of messing up english exams, but that makes me no less good at geography....
Curiously, 8.7% of first year Cambridge undergraduates have lower grades than AAA at A Level (http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/univ/camdata/ug/all.html).
Amrad
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
And of course that is only numerically, these statistics do little to take into account the calibre of the applicants.
lskdgjsj
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Amrad)
And of course that is only numerically, these statistics do little to take into account the calibre of the applicants.

Yes, I said something fairly similar above.
Font
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
For maths, cambridge is definitely harder to get into - STEP, MATHS, FURTHER MATHS, INTERVIEWS - aghh the list is endless - too maty hurdles for cam maths, but if you get in in the end - you got life sorted Oxford is not that bad though - still reputable for maths
slinec.
Report 14 years ago
For maths, cambridge is definitely harder to get into - STEP, MATHS, FURTHER MATHS, INTERVIEWS - aghh the list is endless - too maty hurdles for cam maths, but if you get in in the end - you got life sorted Oxford is not that bad though - still reputable for maths

Wow! I mean lets compare that with Oxford maths:

TEST AT INTERVIEW, MATHS, FURTHER MATHS, INTERVIEWS !!!

Wow, they have step, but it's soooooooooo much harder, isn't it ??? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Drogue
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
too maty hurdles for cam maths, but if you get in in the end - you got life sorted
Really? You're life isn't sorted with any of them, whatever grade you get. Getting a job requires far more than just a degree. And Cam maths is a lot harder once you're there than it is to get into

The difference is stark though. Looking at what my brother did for his degree, and what one of his friends (who got a 1st from Durham in maths) did, the difference is huge. Admittedly my brother took a lot more courses than was necessary, but it's still a big difference for maths between Cambridge and anywhere else.

(Original post by slinec.)
Wow, they have step, but it's soooooooooo much harder, isn't it ??? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Actually yes. STEP is a hell of a lot harder than the rest, IMHO, and the degree is a lot harder to get into than Oxford's, because it's quite simply better.
Squishy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Drogue)
Actually yes. STEP is a hell of a lot harder than the rest, IMHO, and the degree is a lot harder to get into than Oxford's, because it's quite simply better.
Well, it is for the most hardcore mathematicians in the country.
dappleddawndrawndauphin
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Hi, I'm halfway through my AS year and considering applying to Oxford. Ideally I'd like to go to either Oxford, York or Durham... but the competition is kinda freaky!

My G score is probably pretty below average for Oxbridge candidates (although I don't know how much these actually count for) : 7.3 - 5 A*s, 3 As and a C in Maths. I'm hoping to get 4 As at AS and 4 As at A level in English Literature, History, French and Law, although can never be 100% sure obviously!

I'd like to study a combined course of English and History (appallingly I don't think this course is offered at Cambridge but that's by the by), and I was just wondering if anyone can give me any advice firstly on whether trying for a combined course will seriously diminish my chances (only 15% of applicants get in for the course at Oxford which does not sound good), and whether I stand a chance as far as my results are concerned. I am a pretty dedicated student and - fingers crossed! - hope I'd come across well in interview as being passionate about my chose subjs.

Anyways would really appreciate any advice you guys could give me
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?