Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Wonder if anyone can help me here I kind of need an opinion of someone who doesn’t know me as I’m getting conflicting advice.
    I'm taking Geography, Graphics and Media studies (BBD at AS) (I'm predicted ABC lol). Anyway I'm feeling almost completely undecided on choices. At first I was thinking Graphic Design, but then after visiting a couple of unis both courses involved a lot of illustration, they were also after a portfolio (which I have no time to do) or an Art Foundation course :woo:

Anyway I changed my mind to media until results day when I found a great big D staring at me. So more thinking and flicking through prospectuses led me to American Studies. Yay I thought I like visiting the country and museums and am enjoying hearing about the election there. So I find unis that combine it with media courses and visit a uni to look at the subject and love it. Yay I’m happy....

Until I see my form tutor (who happens to be my Media teacher) and she tells me I should rethink looking at my subjects I can tell she doesn’t think I’m good enough to do a media or film studies course (which is depressing) or American studies and has suggested I look at different design courses which I have been doing and suddenly I find blimmin UCAS telling me I need a portfolio or art foundation again. AGGHHH!!!

Sorry for ranting and the lack of punctuation but I feel I need advice from someone other than people I know.
    Thanks in advance
    S

ReputationRep:
    so you dont want to do graphic design because you have to do a portfolio...

ReputationRep:
    Well yes but also I just don't feel the courses are enough like what I'm doing now one place even said that the syllabus where it is combined with materials technology like mine is not the same type of course and I probably wouldn't get on.

ReputationRep:
    What uni are looking at going to?

ReputationRep:
    Nottinghams at the top of my list at the mo. followed by Derby, Keele, UCLAN and Northampton or Birmingham.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm well theres always a degree in Classical Studies or Classical Civilisation. Its not required at most institutions to have studied it previously, just make sure you check on UCAS if you are curious about it. You learn all about the literature of Greece and Rome aswell as the culture and social aspects of the eras. There is a vast list of optional modules to study and they cover a wide area of subjects. You get the chance to learn Greek or Latin too

And Nottingham do this course, im applying, so you could see me there if you decide to follow my advice.Even if you don't fancy it, check it out at least, you might change your mind.

ReputationRep:
    Have a gap year or two, wait until you find something you really want to do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meekle72)
    Hmm well theres always a degree in Classical Studies or Classical Civilisation. Its not required at most institutions to have studied it previously, just make sure you check on UCAS if you are curious about it. You learn all about the literature of Greece and Rome aswell as the culture and social aspects of the eras. There is a vast list of optional modules to study and they cover a wide area of subjects. You get the chance to learn Greek or Latin too

And Nottingham do this course, im applying, so you could see me there if you decide to follow my advice.Even if you don't fancy it, check it out at least, you might change your mind.

lol....what a way to sell your course...

(Original post by saltey)
    Well yes but also I just don't feel the courses are enough like what I'm doing now one place even said that the syllabus where it is combined with materials technology like mine is not the same type of course and I probably wouldn't get on.

it seems like you have your heart set on graphic design so why not do an art foundation course and then apply for graphics design? or, since you're having trouble deciding what you want to do, take a year out to decide and apply next year

ReputationRep:
    If I was you I would take a year out to get together a porfolio an retake some modules then go from there.

ReputationRep:
    Taking a year out does sound like a good idea i'm just not sure it's for me, I really just want to get to uni and do it in three years and be done with education for good. I do want to do a gap year at some point with Camp America but they wont take me till im 21.

I was gonna chat to my graphics teacher to day but forgot, I'll see if he has any advice.
    Thanks for your help so far.

Oh and No thanks Meekle72 i'm sure you'll love Classical studies but it's not my cup of tea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saltey)
    Taking a year out does sound like a good idea i'm just not sure it's for me, I really just want to get to uni and do it in three years and be done with education for good. I do want to do a gap year at some point with Camp America but they wont take me till im 21.

I was gonna chat to my graphics teacher to day but forgot, I'll see if he has any advice.
    Thanks for your help so far.

Oh and No thanks Meekle72 i'm sure you'll love Classical studies but it's not my cup of tea.
    Well, I know how you feel - I've dropped out of uni but am going back in 2009 to restart on a different course, and though I'm sure I'll love it, it seems like it will be ages until I graduate now.

But if you don't really like education are you sure you want to go to uni at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meekle72)

:erm: I get that you like Classic Civilisations. I like it too- I even took it for A2. But WTH does it have to do with this post:confused: ??? :laugh: the OP is looking at Graphics/Media/American Studies. Not Classics.. Random....

To OP: you don't have time for a portfolio? I think if you're interested in doing ANY art & design based course such as graphics or art foundation you're going have to fix up and get on with it. Do you know how intense art courses can be? They are full time and you are expected to produce masses of quality work- I basically produce a portfolio a week and am expected to improve all the time.
    Pay no attention to your form tutor, and apply for what you want, whether it be media or graphics. Personally, I would say look for a combination of American Studies and Graphics rather than Media, just for reputation and variety, but as long as you have real interest in the subject, you can't go too far wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I've spent a few days thinking it over, Taking a year out I think won't be a good idea for me maybe if come results day I havn't got in anywhere I might concider it again.

(Original post by Dijobla)
    Pay no attention to your form tutor, and apply for what you want, whether it be media or graphics. Personally, I would say look for a combination of American Studies and Graphics rather than Media, just for reputation and variety, but as long as you have real interest in the subject, you can't go too far wrong.
    There are actually no Graphics and American studies courses I've looked.

Is it a good idea for me to apply to do American and media and then maybe add a Graphics course in for Extra or is that not a good idea.

so far I've listed these 4 courses on UCAS:

University of Derby (D39)
    American Studies and Film & Television Studies (PT37)

University of Northampton (N38)
    American Studies/Advertising (T7NM)

University of Central Lancashire (C30)
    Combined Honours Programme (Y003) (American Studies and TV studies)

The University of Nottingham (N84)
    Film and American Studies (TW76)

Thanks for the help

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.