No privacy at home

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I know I should be grateful for what I have but I feel like I don’t get any privacy at home. I’m 17 and I share my room with my sister (19) when she’s not at uni, but it doesn’t feel any more like my room when she’s gone. Nothing about my room is “personal” to me and there’s no way to make it personal because it’s so tiny. I can’t spend time in my room because it’s so small and doesn’t feel like my space. I can’t keep things in there without someone finding it, even if it’s unintentional because everyone just looks through my stuff. It’s not necessarily snooping but more like, they might need something, so they’ll just go get it and I can’t exactly object without them thinking I’m hiding something. I recently threw away something REALLY REALLY special to me because I was so afraid of my mum finding it and this isn’t a one off, but by far the worst case because of how special it was and how much I regret throwing it out. My mum has been through my phone before because I was “acting like I was hiding something”, which technically I was but it was only because I was talking about boys to one of my friends and I knew that she wouldn’t like that. I don’t feel like I did anything wrong but I suppose I’m probably biased and stupid haha. My parents know my phone password and it’s not possible to have it any other way because then they would think I’m hiding something, but honestly I just want a bit of privacy I just want a small space that is mine and I can keep personal belongings there, without anyone snooping through it. I’ve wanted to keep a diary for a long time but I haven’t been able to because I just know that my mum would find it and read it. I know she doesn’t have any bad intentions but I just wish I had some space I know I’m being really ungrateful and that it’s not my parents’ fault that they can’t afford somewhere where I can have my own room but I can’t help feeling a little violated. I guess I was kind of over this but it got triggered by me having to throw that really special thing away because I’m so upset about it and I know there isn’t a way to get it back

I don’t know if I’m looking for advice or just to vent but I just hate that I don’t have the privacy to keep something private at all. Thank you so much for reading this far down if you made it and I’m really sorry for the long post. I hope it didn’t take too much of your time...
senkykuo1014
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Well, hang in there! Maybe you can talk to your parents about them going through your mobile. If getting your own room is not possible, at least you can keep the content in your mobile private.
Otherwise, you’ll have to just wait till university to leave home and have your own space.
Good luck.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by senkykuo1014)
Well, hang in there! Maybe you can talk to your parents about them going through your mobile. If getting your own room is not possible, at least you can keep the content in your mobile private.
Otherwise, you’ll have to just wait till university to leave home and have your own space.
Good luck.
Thanks for your reply I mentioned it to my mum but she I don’t know if she got the message to be honest lmao because I was quite upset about something else at the time. Thanks for the advice.
I most likely won’t be leaving home for university actually because my top choices are near me.....
senkykuo1014
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thanks for your reply I mentioned it to my mum but she I don’t know if she got the message to be honest lmao because I was quite upset about something else at the time. Thanks for the advice.
I most likely won’t be leaving home for university actually because my top choices are near me.....
Ah, that’s too bad! I hope you and your mum can talk through this soon. Perhaps when you come of age, your parents will loosen up.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (256)
42.88%
The paper was reasonable (250)
41.88%
Not feeling great about that exam... (52)
8.71%
It was TERRIBLE (39)
6.53%

Watched Threads