Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just a thought, is any body buying fancy dress stuff before they go?

Because looking at the Montefiore events we have:
    Pirates/fairies
    toga
    school night
    Rubix night
    Portswood jungle theme
    Charity shop
    Masqurave

I'm really excited about MasquRAVE and rubix cube, they seem tres fun.

I have an old school uni (I went to an all girls school so I have a short skirt, tie, shirt et al, woooo) and some randomly bright old clothes I could use for rubix night.. toga won't be hard....but should I buy some more stuff before I come? Or will people go out and buy stuff there? will there be time?

And to people in other halls I'm sure you have fancy dress events too.

What's everybody else doing about fancy dress? Or am I the only one that liebes it:cool:

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna try and sort out some of the outfits before I go just so there's a few less things to do. There's also a Dolls and Action Figure theme on the 8th so that's another outfit...:woo:

I'm sure people will be going out to get things though. It say on the Monte facebook group that the 'J.C.R.' (anyone know what that stands for as I don't :o: ) will be going to Primark on monday to get outfits for the Rubix Cube party on the tues

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe you actually wrote 'liebes'. You're a crazy one...

JCR stands for Junior Common Room :p:

As for buying fancy dress outfits, I'd planned to buy them when I got there, but I'm not sure how much time I'm gonna have realistically...especially seeing as I don't know Southampton yet. I've found a shop in Portswood that sells pirate costumes - but I'm not sure about the rest. Rubix and Toga should be OK...

Damn Monte throwing so many awesome fancy dress parties!

ReputationRep:
    Ohh yeah action figures and dolls! Ohhh that'll be hard to do without looking like a complete slut lol.

I am sorry JTM if liebes is entirely grammatically incorrect, my Deutsch grammar was always rubbbisssh.

Buying stuff there is probs best idea, 'cause then you can see what your friends are doing/going to. I'm worried I won't have time though, in between all the welcome lectures/inductions/queuing!

ReputationRep:
    It really should be 'liebt', see - but I'll forgive you, because you've conjugated it like an English verb, so it's perfect Denglish :love:

ReputationRep:
    Ah, es tut mir leid, mein Deutsch ist abfall.

Ha told you. I am not going to embarrass myself any further.
    [/german talk]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnythemoose)
    I can't believe you actually wrote 'liebes'. You're a crazy one...

JCR stands for Junior Common Room :p:

As for buying fancy dress outfits, I'd planned to buy them when I got there, but I'm not sure how much time I'm gonna have realistically...especially seeing as I don't know Southampton yet. I've found a shop in Portswood that sells pirate costumes - but I'm not sure about the rest. Rubix and Toga should be OK...

Damn Monte throwing so many awesome fancy dress parties!
    Ah... thanks!

ReputationRep:
    i've got all my fancy dress ready other than dolls and action figures haven't heard about that one yet..
    and yeah i reckon that is gonna be hard to do without looking like a **** :P lol x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by makinghistory)
    Ah, es tut mir leid, mein Deutsch ist abfall.

Ha told you. I am not going to embarrass myself any further.
    [/german talk]
    I'll say :p:

ReputationRep:
    Oh Dear, I don't have any fancy dresses at the moment!

Also what are Primark's like? I've never set foot in one as there isn't one anywhere near where I live, we have a big M&S and loads of other upmarket clothes retailers in my neck of the woods :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samlewis89)
    Oh Dear, I don't have any fancy dresses at the moment!

Also what are Primark's like? I've never set foot in one as there isn't one anywhere near where I live, we have a big M&S and loads of other upmarket clothes retailers in my neck of the woods :yep:
    Imagine a shop so cheap that it's actually cool to shop there. :nt:

ReputationRep:
    As a student, you'll practically live in Primark. I think we used to have two in Lincoln, but now just the one - but it's huuuuuuuuge. Everything is cheap, but it's not all nasty stuff, some of it's half-decent :w00t:

ReputationRep:
    lol, Hope it's good stuff at Primark, don't think a student's budget would go very far shopping at M&S :p: (though I must admit I do like M&S )

ReputationRep:
    At Primark, a year's worth of clothing = £1.50

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnythemoose)
    At Primark, a year's worth of clothing = £1.50
    I think some of us will be wearing more than just a pair of socks all year

ReputationRep:
    I used to work in Primark when I was 16.

The most boring hellish job imaginable. Although it was easy to get away with doing nothing 'cause it's so big and unorganised, and they had so many staff you could sit down for ages and if someone asked why you'd just say 'Dave told me to sort this shelf down here out'... even if there wasn't a supervisor called Dave.

£4.02 an hour.... Ohh I hated it.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by makinghistory)
    I used to work in Primark when I was 16.

The most boring hellish job imaginable. Although it was easy to get away with doing nothing 'cause it's so big and unorganised, and they had so many staff you could sit down for ages and if someone asked why you'd just say 'Dave told me to sort this shelf down here out'... even if there wasn't a supervisor called Dave.

£4.02 an hour.... Ohh I hated it.
    lol

ReputationRep:
    Makes you wonder how they make money & sell clothes cheaply with all that inefficency! Still remember some of my economics A level stuff :p:

ReputationRep:
    I had a friend who worked at Primark, and she hated it too :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    Primark is deffo good for retro/neon/rave gear, so don't buy anything for party themes such as those. I'm going to be in connaught and i've just got a few things together to get me started for the fancy dress stuff, but i'm planning on going with a group of other people to find other bits on the day of the party or the day before or something.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 26, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.