Christmas, and feel so demotivated and overwhelmed....

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I'm in my first year of uni, and I came home for Christmas about a week and a half ago. I have a lot of coursework: two 1000 word essays to write, a presentation to prepare, and a 1500 word short story to write, and all of this is due around 11th January. I already feel like I haven't got enough done, as I haven't finished any of these essays yet. I've been trying to do a lot of wider reading, but this has driven me a little crazy trying to digest all these bizarre scholarly articles about Greek Theatre and Norse Mythology, and I still don't feel like I have a sufficient grasp on the topics to write whole essays about them. I was really looking forward to coming home: I imagined I'd finish my work fairly quickly, and make time to relax and work on my creative interests music etc.. Unfortunately, I don't have many friends at home anymore, and seeing people on social media who have been catching up with people at home, whilst I feel stuck in my room, and staring at my laptop all the time, has felt kind of demotivating. There's also so much personal stuff I need to manage, and the whole situation has made me feel a little rubbish. If somebody could try and get me back on my feet I'd be very grateful
Admera
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Hey, I don't have much advice but I am in a very similar situation. I am also wondering whether you go to my uni (nottingham?) because I too have a 1000 word essay on Greek Theatre due on the 11th January, but that's besides the point. I guess make a plan so you can schedule in when you're going to do work and when you're going to relax and focus on your hobbies - from personal experience this is easier said than done and requires discipline.

Another point I will make is that social media is very deceptive, naturally people will only show the best moments of their lives which of course is not an accurate representation of what they're going through. Of my friends at home, all of whom post actively on social media, I think almost all of them are struggling in one way or another but this is not something that they share on social media. So try and avoid falling into the trap of comparing your experiences to those on social media, but I know this is difficult.

I'm not really sure what to say about motivation because I am going through the same thing, I had an essay due at the start of the month that I put everything into and now I have 3 more to write and I am just burnt out.

One thing I found that made writing the essay easier was just writing whatever came to mind. I spent weeks planning and overthinking the whole thing, creating these overly extensive plans and getting frustrated when I couldn't think of a structure that worked. In the end I just started writing and realised I had majorly over complicated it, it was a 2000 word essay and my plan would've probably fit something much longer than that. You'll also feel a lot better one you've got something on paper and that doesn't have to be the final thing, just consider it a draft.

I hope that helps, or at least made you feel less alone in what you're going through
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (18)
31.03%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.93%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.45%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.17%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.9%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
12.07%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.72%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.72%

Watched Threads