BTS_biased
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Is the application process for Civil Service Jobs difficult? What does it normally look like and what tips could you give me?
bil99
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by BTS_biased)
Is the application process for Civil Service Jobs difficult? What does it normally look like and what tips could you give me?
Its not. Depending on the role you have applied, at first you may have to take, numerical, verbal and civil service situational judgment test. It really depends on the role. If pass, then you have to submit your competency based application, which could also include your CV, qualification etc. If your competencies mark 4 and above then you get an interview call. (7 is max)

The main thing is you need to understand the Civil service competency framework which main involves behaviours and strength. I would recommend start digesting the Civil service competency framework which is easily available on internet.

Good luck!
BTS_biased
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by bil99)
Its not. Depending on the role you have applied, at first you may have to take, numerical, verbal and civil service situational judgment test. It really depends on the role. If pass, then you have to submit your competency based application, which could also include your CV, qualification etc. If your competencies mark 4 and above then you get an interview call. (7 is max)

The main thing is you need to understand the Civil service competency framework which main involves behaviours and strength. I would recommend start digesting the Civil service competency framework which is easily available on internet.

Good luck!
Thank you!
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by bil99)
Its not.
Really? I thought the applicants to roles ratio for the fast steam is normally like 30:1

Like is it that easy to be the one in 30?
tjames988
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Quady)
Really? I thought the applicants to roles ratio for the fast steam is normally like 30:1

Just because 'it is not a hard application process' doesn't mean its easy to get a job there.
As ever it largely depends on the role/ department/ etc but overall in my experience for jobs outside of the fast stream I thought the process was a lot simpler and easier than other private companies I have also applied for sometimes with fewer steps. But that doesn't mean its easy to get in, as they obviously still only let in the best.
The main thing to do is get your head around the competency framework and then you will have a much better chance of progressing within the process.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by tjames988)
Just because 'it is not a hard application process' doesn't mean its easy to get a job there.
As ever it largely depends on the role/ department/ etc but overall in my experience for jobs outside of the fast stream I thought the process was a lot simpler and easier than other private companies I have also applied for sometimes with fewer steps. But that doesn't mean its easy to get in, as they obviously still only let in the best.
The main thing to do is get your head around the competency framework and then you will have a much better chance of progressing within the process.
All of them? There are several...
bil99
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Quady)

I was referring to the regular jobs advertised on the CS jobs website. Getting into the Fast stream and other graduates schemes could be harder but if you get your foot in through direct entry even as an Officer then you can progress to become a G7 in 5 years.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by bil99)
I was referring to the regular jobs advertised on the CS jobs website. Getting into the Fast stream and other graduates schemes could be harder but if you get your foot in through direct entry even as an Officer then you can progress to become a G7 in 5 years.
AO to G7 in five years, so four promotions in five years? Decent!
tjames988
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Quady)
All of them? There are several...
Sorry, they are called the success profiles now. https://assets.publishing.service.go...iours_2018.pdf
Each job will probably have between maybe 3 to 5 behaviours they look out for and this is how the interviews will be structured.
bil99
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Quady)
AO to G7 in five years, so four promotions in five years? Decent!
well I have seen people going from EO to G7 in 5 years, but depending on your skills you can always jump and skip the middle grades and even get promoted to G7 in 3 years.

Its pretty much realistic to get a promotion from being an EO to SO and skip HO in less than 2 years and from SO to G7 in 1 year. Again it all depends on how competent you are and what jobs are available.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by tjames988)
Sorry, they are called the success profiles now. https://assets.publishing.service.go...iours_2018.pdf
Each job will probably have between maybe 3 to 5 behaviours they look out for and this is how the interviews will be structured.
Though not used in all of Her Majesty's Home Civil Service, SG uses the Skills for Sucess competency framework.

https://applications.work-for-scotla...7-dfd426f9580f

Though thats only relevant if one gets through the sift, as its the essential criteria an application is sifted on.

The Care Quality zcommission also uses essential criteria rather than competencies at sift. I imagine many other quangos do too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
6.99%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (30)
16.13%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (30)
16.13%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (28)
15.05%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (50)
26.88%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (35)
18.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed