The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

what type of overwork mate?
assignments, reports and that stuff?
Is Durham really focused on the mathematical side of physics?
I also find the uni extremely tradicional - do you share my opinion? Thanks
davidcarvalho
what type of overwork mate?
assignments, reports and that stuff?

All of that. The sad thing is if most of the lecturers were vaguely competent, the workload would be so much less. Its more a matter of trying to dig out some understanding from the very poor lectures more than anything else.

Is Durham really focused on the mathematical side of physics?

As a university yes - nearly half the maths department work on that sort of thing.

I also find the uni extremely tradicional - do you share my opinion? Thanks

Yes. Tbh - its not a good thing.
oh i see... well so i had already got that idea but it seems the univ is not as great as they try to convince us.
For some reason, I've loved everything I've seen related to Leeds city, it seems to be a coooooool place, which is definitely included on the criteria i'm taking in consideration to choose the final uni. Some comments on its physics department would be highly appreciated.

What about Warwick? as a teaching institution it seems to be brill although im a bit relutant about the campus life, if it does get boring or claustrophobic.

Thanks for your comments mate :wink:
davidcarvalho
oh i see... well so i had already got that idea but it seems the univ is not as great as they try to convince us.
For some reason, I've loved everything I've seen related to Leeds city, it seems to be a coooooool place, which is definitely included on the criteria i'm taking in consideration to choose the final uni. Some comments on its physics department would be highly appreciated.

What about Warwick? as a teaching institution it seems to be brill although im a bit relutant about the campus life, if it does get boring or claustrophobic.

Thanks for your comments mate :wink:

Look around, I fell in love with Warwick on an open day, you might be suprised. As for HMKs comments, take them with a pinch of salt; they're just an opinion, remember that.
Reply 44
davidcarvalho
thanks for replying EBD

well yes i think that's a conclusion one sooner or later will draw. quite frankly there are some rather inconsistent facts when analysing the rankings. One of those is leeds, which i'd still appreciate to have further comments on. How can its department be ranked #3 and #5 (physics) and fail to be one of the most popular and regarded as being on the top?
I'm kinda confused as i'd actually like to go there study, any info would be hugely appreciated.

so what unis are/have you applied to, EBD? :smile:

Natural Sciences at Durham is my firm and UCL my insurance. I'm really interested by HMK's views because I don't think theres smoke without fire but I think it might be more to do with the subject than the department. My sister is doing Nat Sci at Cambridge and was convinced she wanted to do physical but shes really gone off the subject as she says "The lectures are easy but transferring it to the questions is hard". I think its more that the subject is intrinsicly difficult, she is really good at physics, puts a lot of work in and is heading for a 2:1 but in her other subjects like geology shes pushing for a first. In short I've been lead to believe that out of all subjects there is the greatest difference between A level and degree standard in physics, this could be way a lot of people become dissilusioned with the subject as its simply not what they expect.
QuantumTheory
Look around, I fell in love with Warwick on an open day, you might be suprised. As for HMKs comments, take them with a pinch of salt; they're just an opinion, remember that.

An opinion shared with many people and one I can quite happily justify.
Ebd
Natural Sciences at Durham is my firm and UCL my insurance. I'm really interested by HMK's views because I don't think theres smoke without fire but I think it might be more to do with the subject than the department. My sister is doing Nat Sci at Cambridge and was convinced she wanted to do physical but shes really gone off the subject as she says "The lectures are easy but transferring it to the questions is hard". I think its more that the subject is intrinsicly difficult, she is really good at physics, puts a lot of work in and is heading for a 2:1 but in her other subjects like geology shes pushing for a first. In short I've been lead to believe that out of all subjects there is the greatest difference between A level and degree standard in physics, this could be way a lot of people become dissilusioned with the subject as its simply not what they expect.

True applying it to the questions is often the difficult thing, but even more difficult when they neglect to explain the theory and methods properly in the first place. As a Nat Sci myself, I get the luxury of comparing with other departments and I can tell you there is a gulf of difference between Maths and Physics and how they teach it. I personally would not object to the material covered in Physics if they department bothered to teach it properly.
Reply 47
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
True applying it to the questions is often the difficult thing, but even more difficult when they neglect to explain the theory and methods properly in the first place. As a Nat Sci myself, I get the luxury of comparing with other departments and I can tell you there is a gulf of difference between Maths and Physics and how they teach it. I personally would not object to the material covered in Physics if they department bothered to teach it properly.

For my first year choices im looking at doing either:

2 Maths, 2 Physics and 2 philosophy

or

2 Biology, 2 Maths, 2 Physics

Probably the first option but both allow me to get out of any subjects I dont like (Unless I dislike all 3 :s)
Ebd
For my first year choices im looking at doing either:

2 Maths, 2 Physics and 2 philosophy

or

2 Biology, 2 Maths, 2 Physics

Probably the first option but both allow me to get out of any subjects I dont like (Unless I dislike all 3 :s)

I really recommend you consider taking Maths B1 instead of a philosophy module if you want to try out Physics. It then gives you the opportunity to bail into straight maths or do a 4th year in maths. The beauty of Philosophy is one module opens up most of the next year (obviously all this is on the basis it will fit the timetable, I think it probably will).

The other thing I should point out is that the Maths department offer quite a lot of Physics modules, if you are not interested in Lab Work you should really look into it.
Reply 49
I might have got my combinations wrong but the 2 maths I was looking at doing were Core A and B1, should I take B2 in addition to those? The only reason I chose 2 Phil options was because I enjoy it and I couldnt really see any other modules I should be doing in physics. Have I missed a necessary maths module or would A, B1 and B2 be a good route?

Also the Physics modules in Maths sound very interesting but I dont think any of the first year options are.
Ebd
I might have got my combinations wrong but the 2 maths I was looking at doing were Core A and B1, should I take B2 in addition to those? The only reason I chose 2 Phil options was because I enjoy it and I couldnt really see any other modules I should be doing in physics. Have I missed a necessary maths module or would A, B1 and B2 be a good route?

Also the Physics modules in Maths sound very interesting but I dont think any of the first year options are.

The thing is, if you want to do Physics, doing B1 with the Physics modules in practise will open up switching to straight maths with a concession. Core A is a double modules, so it takes up 2 slots. Same as Foundations of Physics I. So if you take Core A, B1, Foundations and Ethics and Values you probably open up the most options. Really, if you want to know the ways through Nat Sci I recommend talking to Dave Robson after you have had a good look through the website (www.dur.ac.uk/natural.sciences)
Reply 51
Ahhhh I swear I checked that they werent double modules but was obviously having a dopey day; Core A, FoP1, Knowledge and reality and either B1 or the physics skills will be my probable route. Thanks a lot, I talked with Dave Robson on the open day but to be honest I was a bit pissed off as I didnt realise when I said no to chemistry back in October how rediculously limited my Msci joint honours options would be. I wish it was made a bit clearer that by declining chemistry it meant I only had 1 possible MSci joint honours route. It really defeats the whole point of a Nat Sci degree (variety) if all I can do is physics and maths (and to top it all off, no biology and physics option? Thanks Durham :biggrin:). Anyway I'm now thinking of just doing the 3 years at Durham and moving off and doing a masters elsewhere, would a join honours Bsci be enough to do pure Physics at another top uni or would I have to look to switching entirely to physics or maths?
Ebd
Ahhhh I swear I checked that they werent double modules but was obviously having a dopey day; Core A, FoP1, Knowledge and reality and either B1 or the physics skills will be my probable route. Thanks a lot, I talked with Dave Robson on the open day but to be honest I was a bit pissed off as I didnt realise when I said no to chemistry back in October how rediculously limited my Msci joint honours options would be. I wish it was made a bit clearer that by declining chemistry it meant I only had 1 possible MSci joint honours route. It really defeats the whole point of a Nat Sci degree (variety) if all I can do is physics and maths (and to top it all off, no biology and physics option? Thanks Durham :biggrin:). Anyway I'm now thinking of just doing the 3 years at Durham and moving off and doing a masters elsewhere, would a join honours Bsci be enough to do pure Physics at another top uni or would I have to look to switching entirely to physics or maths?

Don't get too hung up about degree classifications would be my advice. Unless you have loads of money doing a masters elsewhere can be a bad idea, much better to have an integrated masters as part of a natural sciences degree. As for taking the masters itself (assuming you go for the separate option), you would have to look at a few postgraduate prospectuses. Masters which are standalone are often surprisingly flexible about entry requirements.
Reply 53
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Don't get too hung up about degree classifications would be my advice. Unless you have loads of money doing a masters elsewhere can be a bad idea, much better to have an integrated masters as part of a natural sciences degree. As for taking the masters itself (assuming you go for the separate option), you would have to look at a few postgraduate prospectuses. Masters which are standalone are often surprisingly flexible about entry requirements.

I know its early days and ill probably change my mind completely within a year but I have this urge to do a phd or something in America, again I know its silly but I get worried about the whole reputation thing and durham being relativly unknown abroad etc.
yeah definitely durham doesn't seem the right uni for me then...!
Reply 55
davidcarvalho

I also find the uni extremely tradicional

It is and it's something that comes down to personal taste.

About the university not being as good as they make out, I think it is. I'm not a physics student and have limited experience with the department, but what strikes me about the department is that it's not as undergrad focused as other departments are. After all, this is one of Durham's real strengths, the excellent undergraduate education it provides.

The physics department is one of the Durham's most research intensive departments. It's Europe's leading centre of astrophysics and arguably the world's second best. Your are taught by people who are amongst the leaders in their field, but a world class researcher/academic doesn't always make an excellent lecturer. You can't generalise, but often their teaching is incompetent, or undergraduates can feel neglected.

This is possibly what my marsupial friend is referring to.

I know a few people who share HMK's opinion. But the majority of students I know enjoy the course and department (HMK will have a few things to say about this :p: ). But remember that this is just HMK's opinion. If you don't think it's for you, fair enough. It's quite understandable.

Ebd
I know its early days and ill probably change my mind completely within a year but I have this urge to do a phd or something in America, again I know its silly but I get worried about the whole reputation thing and durham being relativly unknown abroad etc.

But it's not. Not as much as many would believe.

They mistake its lack of recognition (I won't use reputation as it certainly isn't the case that it has a poor reputation) amongst members of the public in the US, Australia, South Africa, Germany or Japan as evidence that it's not well known and will harm your chances in academia or employment. Durham's a small city and cannot have the recognisable brand of a global city like London.

Academically, then (as I said before) Durham is Europe's leading centre for astrophysics. One example of their world class research is their involvement in the Hubble Space Telescope and its cameras. It will vary by country and area of physics, but a fair number of academics world-wide are aware of the university and its research and will be as interested in your academic achievements and research interests anyway.

The same can be said for employment. Internationally speaking Durham's still one of the most represented UK universities world-wide. It is one of the country's strongest universities, so this is to be expected after all. They produce amongst the best graduates who will go far.

Depends what sort of a value you place in these simple statistics and tables, they don't show the full picture, but Durham ranks in the top 25 of the world in the THES employer review and produces more CEOs and MDs of the world's major multi-nationals than many other universities (including UCL and LSE).

Many smaller companies, say a national law firm in the US, may not be aware of Durham. But when Durham can produce a President and leading executive of a massive multi-national like Ford, then this does get the name around. Even if a university isn't well known abroad, don't think this is a major barrier to success.
Morbo
As an Oxford physics graduate, I did have a look at the quality of courses, exams and research at other universities, and so I do have a bit of insight into this one.

My rankings would be:

1. Cambridge
2= Oxford
2= Imperial
4. Durham
5. Warwick
6. Bristol
7. Manchester
8. St Andrews
9. Birmingham
10. Edinburgh

Other good ones would be Leeds, Nottingham, UCL, Southampton and Bath.

Why is Oxford not as good as Cambridge? Are you comparing the Oxford straight physics course with the Cambridge maths with physics? Is there any difference between job prospects between the two? Sorry for the questions.
what about scottish universities btw, does anybody have a say on this?

St Andrews seems very alike with Durham - peaceful (maybe too much), good reputation, friendly environment, loads of pubs.
Glasgow and Edinburgh seem very cool places and respected as well. They'd be perfect choices as I wouldn't have to pay fees and the cities appear to have great environments....although i was initially planning to experience England, but that would still be ok i think...
about Warwick, i'm in an international college here in Portugal (it runs portuguese and international sections, im in the portuguese) and i've got loads of friends from the Uk and ireland, and i've got one who says tragedies about Coventry LOL he really seems to not like it at all, "oh david i don't want you to be stabbed" and things like that - trying to piss me off im pretty sure thats over exaggerating stuff but, Coventry has yet to be a critical place.

Yes, it'd be extremely better to visit the universities and judge them by myself but that's a thing to be planned and cant be done until the very last months prior to my eventual uni settlement.
Im abit late on this one... but im not sure why ucl isn't mentioned more. The only area where i think they have been struggling is on the research front. But adjusting for 'staff submitted' on the latest rae rankings they are 4th. http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/newsandeventspggrp/imperialcollege/naturalsciences/physics/newssummary/news_15-1-2009-11-46-27.

This is a little bit biased but i recently rejected imperial and firmed ucl!!
Reply 59
MissSurfer
Birmingham! Although I'm biased...

Yo!!!!

Latest

Trending

Trending