The Student Room Group

Failed pharmacy due to calculations test

I was in my first year of pharmacy (second year of uni as I did a foundation year in pharmacy), I passed all of my modules and got at least 70% in all of them, however I failed my calculations test by ONE MARK, and was told to leave the university, transfer or take a gap year. I was forced to transfer to another course due to financial reasons as I could not afford to take a gap year - long story short I had a house for uni with my mates, I couldn't leave the contract without finding a replacement tenant which was impossible as nobody was moving out for uni due to covid, I could not afford to pay rent without the help of student finance which I would only receive if I enrolled onto another course. It was my second attempt at the test, both times I failed by one mark which is so frustrating considering how well I did in all my other exams, I made loads of phone calls and wrote loads of emails but the uni was being reluctant, there was no way I could continue into 2nd year and retake my calculations test there, I was also told this is due to regulations of GPhC. Anyways I am currently at the same uni doing a different course which I am not fully satisfied with. I was shocked at how the uni dealt with my situation considering covid, I also submitted a CIP and extenuating circumstance for my underperformance in the resit exam which was during lockdown, (I lost a family member and also stress from covid), yet they did nothing except offer a gap year which was not financially feasible for me. Also the whole of first year has been marked as failed and so all my efforts went to waste, I was so shook at the way the uni has dealt with my situation and the fact that they completely disregarded my wellbeing and mental health. So I just want some advice on if there is anything I can do.
I don't have specific knowledge about pharmacy programmes but obviously your unis stance sounds rather harsh, (especially given your other results and the manner of teaching in 2020).

I would recommend that you speak to your student union. They are independant from the uni administration itself and can provide advice and guidance. They'll at least be able to let you know whether the uni has followed their correct procdure for your course.
Can I ask you finally what’s happened with your situation
Original post by yaseen12345
I was in my first year of pharmacy (second year of uni as I did a foundation year in pharmacy), I passed all of my modules and got at least 70% in all of them, however I failed my calculations test by ONE MARK, and was told to leave the university, transfer or take a gap year. I was forced to transfer to another course due to financial reasons as I could not afford to take a gap year - long story short I had a house for uni with my mates, I couldn't leave the contract without finding a replacement tenant which was impossible as nobody was moving out for uni due to covid, I could not afford to pay rent without the help of student finance which I would only receive if I enrolled onto another course. It was my second attempt at the test, both times I failed by one mark which is so frustrating considering how well I did in all my other exams, I made loads of phone calls and wrote loads of emails but the uni was being reluctant, there was no way I could continue into 2nd year and retake my calculations test there, I was also told this is due to regulations of GPhC. Anyways I am currently at the same uni doing a different course which I am not fully satisfied with. I was shocked at how the uni dealt with my situation considering covid, I also submitted a CIP and extenuating circumstance for my underperformance in the resit exam which was during lockdown, (I lost a family member and also stress from covid), yet they did nothing except offer a gap year which was not financially feasible for me. Also the whole of first year has been marked as failed and so all my efforts went to waste, I was so shook at the way the uni has dealt with my situation and the fact that they completely disregarded my wellbeing and mental health. So I just want some advice on if there is anything I can do.

Same that’s what Huddersfield university for pharmacy did to me. Then they say they are supportive to students for disabled or students who are affective with a condition. But they were not supportive to me and they betrayed me.
So you couldn’t continue to the next year?I’m in Kingston university in the 3rd year and I failed calculation exam just for one point . Last year they allowed 26/40 and this year first attempted they allowed 27/40 . And in the second attempt no, they wanted 28/40.I got 27 but they want allow me to continue and I passed the other modules with good marks.
Reply 5
Original post by Cinthia94
So you couldn’t continue to the next year?I’m in Kingston university in the 3rd year and I failed calculation exam just for one point . Last year they allowed 26/40 and this year first attempted they allowed 27/40 . And in the second attempt no, they wanted 28/40.I got 27 but they want allow me to continue and I passed the other modules with good marks.

Hi can I ask what has happened with this situation? Did they allow you to continue or if not what did you do? x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending