The Student Room Group

Moving to an American college after A levels

Hey so I was just wondering, I do British a levels so if I do well in my exams in the summer I would like to go to and American uni (nyu: I want to do medicine there) I just need advice on what I need to qualify, how there system works, what age would I have to be and in general how I would apply with my grades. It would also be helpful for someone to explain to me the education system there cuz I’m just confused about that too
I'm pretty sure you can't apply for med school in US right after high school. You need to complete undergrad before applying for med graduate school.
There aren't undergrad med programs in the States. People typically major in a relevant undergrad before sitting the MCAT and applying for grad med.
There are BA-MD/BSc-MD courses where you have a guaranteed MD spot - but they're incredibly competitive courses and NYU doesn't offer it as far as I'm aware.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Hey so I was just wondering, I do British a levels so if I do well in my exams in the summer I would like to go to and American uni (nyu: I want to do medicine there) I just need advice on what I need to qualify, how there system works, what age would I have to be and in general how I would apply with my grades. It would also be helpful for someone to explain to me the education system there cuz I’m just confused about that too

You need to do an undergraduate degree in a science subject (most schools list the exact modules you need), take and get the required MCAT score. A few schools require applicants to be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident, NYU is one of those schools. Other schools require your undergraduate degree to be from the US or Canada.

Your best bet is most likely to do your degree plus residency here, then attempt to make the jump to the US once you've passed the US medical exams.
You'll be looking at total expenses for the year around the figure of $80,000 purely for the average of undergraduate. Others have said as well you have to be a US citizen or permanent resident.

You will not be able to finance this from debt or welfare. So unless you're Parents are balling I'd kill this dream now.
Original post by BlimBlam97
You'll be looking at total expenses for the year around the figure of $80,000 purely for the average of undergraduate. Others have said as well you have to be a US citizen or permanent resident.

You will not be able to finance this from debt or welfare. So unless you're Parents are balling I'd kill this dream now.

Need-based financial aid is available to international students at some US Universities, so I really wouldn't discourage them like this. It's very much affordable at the colleges that do offer this, although at most schools they'll factor it in to your admissions decision, but it's definitely not impossible to get into a need-aware school with a lot of financial aid.

As some advice to OP:

As people above have said, medicine isn't available as an undergrad programme in the US. Med school is a postgraduate path of study. As far as I know, there's no specific major you should have, but there will certainly be classes you should be taking to ensure that you are well-prepared. Most colleges will give you an advisor who will be able to talk about the classes available for pre-med students at their university.

I'm not sure about any citizenship requirements that people have mentioned above. I'm not pre-med, so I haven't looked into med schools.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by ry7xsfa
Need-based financial aid is available to international students at some US Universities, so I really wouldn't discourage them like this. It's very much affordable at the colleges that do offer this, although at most schools they'll factor it in to your admissions decision, but it's definitely not impossible to get into a need-aware school with a lot of financial aid.

Not NYU though - they're notorious for not offering enough aid even to domestic students.
Original post by ohope
Not NYU though - they're notorious for not offering enough aid even to domestic students.

International students are eligible for need-based aid at NYU
Original post by ry7xsfa
International students are eligible for need-based aid at NYU

They are, but NYU doesn't meet 100% of demonstrated need. Often it's significantly less and therefore often not particularly affordable.
If you need financial aid, look at somewhere else than NYU. And as others have said, you need a Bachelor's degree to study medicine in the US.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending