The Student Room Group

Any tips for writing good English lit essays?

Idk why, but I always pretty much fail at those. I read a lot, my other subjects are okay, but the grades for lit essays are bad. Even though I do try to write by mark schemes and by my teacher’s comments.

Anyone has tips/ advice/ helpful personal experience or anything on how to write better eng lit essays?

Btw, I’m year 13, doing Frankenstein and Handmaids tale.
Exam board?
Use your notes.
Original post by Nikitka
Idk why, but I always pretty much fail at those. I read a lot, my other subjects are okay, but the grades for lit essays are bad. Even though I do try to write by mark schemes and by my teacher’s comments.

Anyone has tips/ advice/ helpful personal experience or anything on how to write better eng lit essays?

Btw, I’m year 13, doing Frankenstein and Handmaids tale.

Don't be afraid to stray somewhat from the essay writing structure that has been ingrained since GCSE (such as paragraph structuring like PEE - point evidence explain and other equivalents)
Although, starting each paragraph with a clear sentence around an individual point, this can help you to focus your writing. Keep referring back to that first sentence so you don't stray off topic too much.
I also don't put too much time into introduction and conclusion paragraphs, you get marks for everything in between.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending