The Student Room Group

studying law from lectures and not the readings

Hello, im in my last year now of law and like the first 2 years i did not do much work, I put in effort for my summative essays and I just crash revised for my exams and managed to maintain an average of 62%, which i know is low but as long as im in the 2.1 range i dont really care.
Now im in third year im trying to study more consistently and attend my classes. But I cannot for the life of me do the assigned readings, my brain completely switches off its so boring :frown: I have ADHD and was able to do these tasks when medicated, but because of the negative side effects I stopped taking medication and now just cannot do the readings. I tried everything - every note taking method, skimming, dividing readings into smaller parts, etc. I just cannot read these law chapters, my mind will block it out no matter what I try.
I am trying to learn all the lecture info really well and i prepare for tutorials and the questions asked in them - bc that is the application of the law and helps with PQs

But basically - is it enough for my 3rd year of LLB to learn the lectures and tutorials well and skip out on the readings? At least to maintain my 62 average? if not, anyone else in a similar position or with adhd that studied LLB- how did you get yourself to do these god awful readings
(edited 3 years ago)
it's gonna result in another low 2.1 or high 2.2 depending on the uni.

u prolly need to speak to a doctor about this. not being able to do any reading will impact you in your career. it's going to be a problem long term.
Have you spoken to support staff at your department? Or a medical professional?

You're not going to be able to get a decent grade just from using lecture material, especially in your third year. It's going to be extremely difficult if you have a dissertation or research project to write.

I don't have ADHD but I do have an awful attention span. Just set yourself really small goals, a couple of pages in a couple of hours. At least if you've read something you've got some material to refer back to.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending