How would you view me if you knew I had a mental health problem?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi everyone, I’m a bit worried about talking about my mental health with my friends and with people I meet at uni. I started to hear voices in 2017, at first these were soft whispers but they became louder and started to say aggressive things and to threaten me and my family. I received professional help and am now on the path to a full recovery and rarely hear the voices. I learnt that relaxing, having a good work-life balance and confiding in others is important to stay well. If you met me at uni, and I told you about my mental health, would this change how you act with me or what you think about me? It would also be good to hear if you’ve ever experienced this kind of thing, or known anyone else who has? Thanks!
CatOverlords
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I wouldn't treat you any different. Psychosis is nothing to be ashamed of, it's just a chemical imbalance in the brain. A lot of people struggle with mental health in silence because they're afraid of judgement but you'd be surprised just how many of your peers can relate to your experience in some way. As long as you don't make your mental health your entire personality and the only topic you can talk about, you shouldn't experience any negative treatment from anyone. If anyone does judge you or look down on you for your mental health then they're not worth your time anyway.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi everyone, I’m a bit worried about talking about my mental health with my friends and with people I meet at uni. I started to hear voices in 2017, at first these were soft whispers but they became louder and started to say aggressive things and to threaten me and my family. I received professional help and am now on the path to a full recovery and rarely hear the voices. I learnt that relaxing, having a good work-life balance and confiding in others is important to stay well. If you met me at uni, and I told you about my mental health, would this change how you act with me or what you think about me? It would also be good to hear if you’ve ever experienced this kind of thing, or known anyone else who has? Thanks!
Hi OP!

I've been hearing voices for over 25 years but only realised that other people don't hear voices when I was about 21 and at uni in 2009! It's great that you are on the road to full recovery and that these voices are far more infrequent. I would hope no one would judge you and as has been said, those who do probably aren't worth your time at all. I don't think it needs to be something you tell each and every person, especially if you're rarely hearing voices now, but you should try and feel confident and as comfortable as you can about telling those who you want to, or those who you feel need to know

FWIW, I still hear voices and have a diagnosis of schizoaffective disorder. I am not by any means on a recovery path, per se, but I have a wide circle of friends from different parts of my life. My mental health is widely known about at my uni/in my department, and have encountered little direct stigma (as in, people aren't rude to/about me to my face) :nah:
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I would actually feel a bit relieved to know if someone else also has mental health issues, or at the very least they understand it. It's always nice when someone just understands it for once. I've had psychosis before, it lasted for about 4 weeks I think - although it's hard to tell because I couldn't actually tell what was real or not anymore at the time. But my god, did I enjoy it - it was like another world for me it was an escape for me. Very weird... oh well. Now my brain is able to differentiate when my inner monologue is me talking and not someone else. I think during the breakdown that part of my brain that recognises my own thoughts and imagination something went wrong. I later found out this is a bit more common (temporary psychosis) and lasts 4 - 8 weeks. It comes in the form of hearing and/or seeing things not there and when you start interacting with it. At first I knew it wasn't real, but then I started interacting with it... that's when things got out of hand. Interacting with it gave it power over me.
Last edited by Final Fantasy; 2 months ago
Anonymous #2
Report 2 months ago
It is pretty embarassing tbh
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
CatOverlords The_Lonely_Goatherd Final Fantasy Sorry this is late, but thank you for all your helpful responses
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
CatOverlords The_Lonely_Goatherd Final Fantasy Sorry this is late, but thank you for all your helpful responses
No worries - how're you doing now?
hxnnxh_13.11.06
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No I wouldn't, because I know how that feels. I would still see you as an equal and respect you for getting help.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Final Fantasy I'm doing better now. Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (649)
48.36%
No (693)
51.64%

Watched Threads