Which LLM Law (Conversion course) provider to go for?

Watch this thread
Ulita1981
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi there,
I've got an Unconditional Offer to study LLM (conversion) course.
I've got a choice between:
1. the University of Law (somehow I see it more as a business than education provider and their fees are high £10,500)
2. BPP (again a private business with LLM fees of above £16,000 while Student Loan will only cover £11,222)
3. Leeds Beckett University (fees are £7,500 and it's a public university)

Which one would you choose?
The Leeds option seems to be reasonable as taking £11,222 from Student finance will enable to pay full LLM fees and the rest of the money can be used to pay for SQE exam and test preparation resources.

Do you think that law firms prefer students who completed BPP or uLaw?

Thanks
SSTV
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Hi,

May I ask why you're doing an LLM?

Law firms will see BPP and Uni of Law about the same but BPP is getting a very bad reputation for f-ing over students lately so may not be advisable. I went to BPP for GDL and it was bad, do not expect a University experience. Uni of law has an okay reputation. City Uni is the best out of the easy to get into somewhat for-profit post-grad and professional law course providers. It is the oldest GDL course and part of Gray's Inn.

But if you're doing an LLM for academic prestige it is best to be at a top Russel Group uni. And if you can't get into one of those then it's best to do the GDL then LPC/ LLM combined course if you really want to do an LLM.

Maybe you're choosing the SQE route because it's cheaper than the old route but SQE will likely not arrive in 2021 with COVID, it's had numerous delays on normal years. And SQE will be harder, pass rate of 50% whereas GDL is 40%, plus with the GDL route you can easily get an LLM at the end of it, by topping up your LPC with the 2 LLM modules, which are course work and a dissertation. You can even top up the GDL to make it a graduate LLB BA Hons Degree with similar 2 modules at certain unis.
Ulita81
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SSTV)
Hi,

May I ask why you're doing an LLM?

Law firms will see BPP and Uni of Law about the same but BPP is getting a very bad reputation for f-ing over students lately so may not be advisable. I went to BPP for GDL and it was bad, do not expect a University experience. Uni of law has an okay reputation. City Uni is the best out of the easy to get into somewhat for-profit post-grad and professional law course providers. It is the oldest GDL course and part of Gray's Inn.

But if you're doing an LLM for academic prestige it is best to be at a top Russel Group uni. And if you can't get into one of those then it's best to do the GDL then LPC/ LLM combined course if you really want to do an LLM.

Maybe you're choosing the SQE route because it's cheaper than the old route but SQE will likely not arrive in 2021 with COVID, it's had numerous delays on normal years. And SQE will be harder, pass rate of 50% whereas GDL is 40%, plus with the GDL route you can easily get an LLM at the end of it, by topping up your LPC with the 2 LLM modules, which are course work and a dissertation. You can even top up the GDL to make it a graduate LLB BA Hons Degree with similar 2 modules at certain unis.
Hi and thank you for your answer.
I have decided to do my LLM as (1) can't afford GDL (2) SQE is a good option for me as I've got 3 years of qualifying work experience from in-house law department and by the time I will complete my part-time course I will have 5 years of experience (3) in relation to the Russell Group uni - none of them offer distance online course which would be a conversion course (4) while at the moment I don't consider LPC as an option (I am happy working for the current company) things may change therefore and I definitely want to make sure that the course is recognised by SRA as a conversion course. On completion I want to have a choice between LPC and SQE.

After my LLM, I plan to do some LLM single modules related to Intellectual Property and Competition Laws provided by University of London which are accredited by one of the Russell Group universities - Queens Mary.
claraalmeidab1
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Ulita81)
Hi and thank you for your answer.
I have decided to do my LLM as (1) can't afford GDL (2) SQE is a good option for me as I've got 3 years of qualifying work experience from in-house law department and by the time I will complete my part-time course I will have 5 years of experience (3) in relation to the Russell Group uni - none of them offer distance online course which would be a conversion course (4) while at the moment I don't consider LPC as an option (I am happy working for the current company) things may change therefore and I definitely want to make sure that the course is recognised by SRA as a conversion course. On completion I want to have a choice between LPC and SQE.

After my LLM, I plan to do some LLM single modules related to Intellectual Property and Competition Laws provided by University of London which are accredited by one of the Russell Group universities - Queens Mary.
Hello! Wondering if you embarked on the LLM after all? I’d like some advice
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (152)
40.97%
The paper was reasonable (167)
45.01%
Not feeling great about that exam... (35)
9.43%
It was TERRIBLE (17)
4.58%

Watched Threads