riley.xx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Which UK unis have the best reputation for chemistry courses ? (excluding oxford and cambridge). I like loughborough, bath, leeds...are these respected?? and can i trust the complete university guide league table rankings for these unis when i select chemistry?
Loughborough University
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by HiMyNameIsRiley)
Which UK unis have the best reputation for chemistry courses ? (excluding oxford and cambridge). I like loughborough, bath, leeds...are these respected?? and can i trust the complete university guide league table rankings for these unis when i select chemistry?
Hi HiMyNameIsRiley,

There are many reasons to consider Loughborough for Chemistry as our courses are accredited by the Royal Society of Chemistry and our academic and research staff are nationally and internationally recognised as experts in their chosen field. You will have access to facilities in our newly opened STEMLab as well as benefitting from an additional £6 million investment in lab space in the refurbished Sir David Davis building. Lectures from industry contribute to the teaching of our courses and sponsor research projects. You will have the option of doing a placement year and our excellent careers network holds one of the largest careers fairs in the UK.

Were you able to attend any of our virtual open days? The pages are still live and so take a look at the course presentation and videos to find out what it's like to study Chemistry at Loughborough here.

I think it's useful to consider the league tables as a start, but it's more important to take a look at different universities and decide for yourself which one you would be happiest at and one that fits your personality. For example, do you want to be based in a city or campus? Take a look at the modules and see which interest you the most. Consider doing a placement year as this will enhance your employability once you finish your degree.

I wish you all the best of luck in choosing which universities to apply for. Do let me know if you have any questions :bird:

Bindu
University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by HiMyNameIsRiley)
Hi there,

Bath is definitely an amazing option if you are looking at chemistry! We offer several chemistry courses such as:
Chemistry
Chemistry for Drug Development
Chemistry with Management

These allow you to really target your focus, or do a broader degree like single chemistry. My friends on chemistry have said that they love the extra optional modules you get to choose from, such as Chemistry of Everyday Things, as these are really interesting to have on top of the core compulsory modules. From my experience doing chemistry modules via NatSci, I've found that the chemistry lecturers are all really helpful and ready to answer questions.

You could also look at the Natural Sciences course, which is essentially a joint honours whereby you choose a major and minor subject from Chemistry, Biology, Biochemistry, Physics, Pharmacology and Environmental Science. This is a good course if you are interested in chemistry and another science, but you don't like all of the content in one subject. For example, if you like organic and inorganic chemistry, but not physical chemistry, then you could do NatSci and only choose the modules you like plus some from another science.

In terms of ranking/league tables, I would take these with a pinch of salt. Most league tables show an average score of several factors, so, for example, Imperial could rank slightly higher than Bath due to slightly higher academic content/grades, but Imperial has a far lower students satisfaction and higher drop out rate than Bath. If you are going to look at league tables, look at the scores for each individual criteria as these a far more insightful than an overall score.

I hope this has helped,
Jessica, a final year NatSci student
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.38%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.16%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (44)
18.03%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.34%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
25.82%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.26%

Watched Threads