The Student Room Group

when should you start gcse revision?

i have mocks in february and over the break and have begun to put in 2-3 hours per day as good grades don’t really come naturally to me and i want 6s and 7s hopefully. i recently did my mocks in november and was disappointed with my grades. when should i look to start proper revision and what resources can i use to revise? i have revision guides and workbooks for all of my subjects and really want to improve my grades for the real thing and my mocks just in case exams get cancelled - hopefully not.
-current year 11 :/
I read somewhere it's best to start 8-12 weeks before exams so probably about a week or 2 after February mocks. I think that would be end of March, because content in the February mock will also be on the final exam.
Reply 2
Original post by Frozetman
I read somewhere it's best to start 8-12 weeks before exams so probably about a week or 2 after February mocks. I think that would be end of March, because content in the February mock will also be on the final exam.

this is great and i think it will be fine, do you think this would work for someone who isn’t natural good at school and needs to remember things for a long time for it to stick?
Original post by ermmaya
this is great and i think it will be fine, do you think this would work for someone who isn’t natural good at school and needs to remember things for a long time for it to stick?

Yh it should. Given that you said you've already began revision for mocks I think it should be more than enough time to confortably have the knowledge stuck in your head. Other methods that may help the knowledge to stick could be doing past papers so that you can test areas you understand and ones that you don't (also on this point it may be better to get a family member or a friend to mark, so that you can be sure someone else understands your reasonings). Its fine not to do these past papers under timed conditions until you get within a month of exams, except for essay subjects cause in those timing is more important.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Frozetman
Yh it should. Given that you said you've already began revision for mocks I think it should be more than enough time to confortably have the knowledge stuck in your head. Other methods that may help the knowledge to stick could be doing past papers so that you can test areas you understand and ones that you don't (also on this point it may be better to get a family member or a friend to mark, so that you can be sure someone else understands your reasonings). Its fine not to do these past papers under timed conditions until you get within a month of exams, except for essay subjects cause in those timing is more important.

this is fab thanks for this, sorry for asking so many questions. what year should i look to do past papers from? many say 2017 forward but is it risky to do older ones?
Original post by ermmaya
this is fab thanks for this, sorry for asking so many questions. what year should i look to do past papers from? many say 2017 forward but is it risky to do older ones?

2017 onward is ideal because the specification has changed for most exam boards, but the ones before aren't bad especially for subjects like maths where there has been little change to the specification. If you do the papers before 2017 just ensure that you know your specification throughly so that you only answer the questions that are still relevant to exams in the summer
September imho
Original post by hootdoot04
September imho

same i second this
Original post by vix.xvi
same i second this

I didn’t do great at mine so I’m pretty much begging year 11s to just start at September
Reply 9
September imho

Original post by vix.xvi
same i second this

i began studying whatever i learnt in school that day after school in september, now i'm looking to do in-depth proper studying across all subjects in preparation for my mocks and exams. how many hours would you say is too many?
Original post by ermmaya
i began studying whatever i learnt in school that day after school in september, now i'm looking to do in-depth proper studying across all subjects in preparation for my mocks and exams. how many hours would you say is too many?

I would say three a day is good on weekdays and 5 each day on weekends is good.

thats what I woudl say is rly good for getting 8s and 9s ?
Reply 11
I didn’t do great at mine so I’m pretty much begging year 11s to just start at September

as september has passed and i'm currently year 11 i'll start properly now, how many hours would you say is too much per day? at the moment after school is 2-3 hrs and weekends is 4hrs - usually.
Original post by ermmaya

30 minutes per subject each day, ramp it up when you’re on school holidays etc
Reply 13
Original post by vix.xvi

yes this is definitely where i'm working towards :smile: thanks!
Original post by vix.xvi

Any advice for revising for maths? I’ve been forced to resit it
Reply 15
30 minutes per subject each day, ramp it up when you’re on school holidays etc

okay this sounds good, however i have one subject i'm not too bothered about but still want to do well in but in comparison to my other subjects, doesn't really matter. should i still put 30 minutes towards that subject? it's german if that helps lol
Any advice for revising for maths? I’ve been forced to resit it

yes

copied from another thread:

JUST DO LOADS OF PRACTICE. GET A CGP PRACTICE BOOK AND DO EVERY PAGE OF IT. THEN IF YOU'RE AIMING FOR A 9, GET THE GRADE 9 TARGET BOOKO. BEFORE YOUR EXAMS, KNOCK OUT A BUNCH OF PAPERS. your welcome

trust me. I got a 9I in GCSE maths and am studying maths and furthermaths if that makes it more believable
Original post by vix.xvi
yes

copied from another thread:

JUST DO LOADS OF PRACTICE. GET A CGP PRACTICE BOOK AND DO EVERY PAGE OF IT. THEN IF YOU'RE AIMING FOR A 9, GET THE GRADE 9 TARGET BOOKO. BEFORE YOUR EXAMS, KNOCK OUT A BUNCH OF PAPERS. your welcome

trust me. I got a 9I in GCSE maths and am studying maths and furthermaths if that makes it more believable

Thanks! I’m aiming for a 4/5 but I’ll take your advice :smile:
Thanks! I’m aiming for a 4/5 but I’ll take your advice :smile:

kk :smile:

lemme know if u need anything xxx

Quick Reply

Latest